[v0.5] A Boy And His Barrel - It's slime time

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
isaacpop23

Re: [Demo] A Boy And His Barrel

Post by isaacpop23 »

Would it be possible to make Violet affected by moving floors? It would make some of my map ideas work.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

She already is affected by conveyor belts. :)
Captain J wrote:Anyway about research, is she will be able to pick some powerup items as well? Such as soulspehre.
Working on it. ;)
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

From my own testing for hehbots, all powerups should work just fine, except for health ones. Health items work a little weirdly with nonplayers and bump them up to their spawnhealth always. so if the spawnhealth is 100, they'll only get up to 100 out of megaspheres and soulspheres, and if you bump it up to 200, they'll get up to 200 from stimpacks and medikits. All other items, in my experience, work just fine though. They'll grab invulnerabilities and invisibilities just fine
isaacpop23

Post by isaacpop23 »

Jimmy wrote:She already is affected by conveyor belts.
Is there a special conveyor to use then? Nothing I've tried so far has moved anything but the player.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Rexen wrote:Maybe making it so Violet can only pick up healing items it possible.
There are the RestrictedTo/ForbiddenTo things that can prevent player classes from picking up items but I'm not sure how they react with things attempting to pick up items that aren't a player class at all. Worth a try I guess.
Rexen
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Home
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Rexen »

Oh and Jimmy I think the player should be allow to only to heal up to 100 hp by drinking from the the barrel
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Replace armor with amore.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

isaacpop23 wrote:
Jimmy wrote:She already is affected by conveyor belts.
Is there a special conveyor to use then? Nothing I've tried so far has moved anything but the player.
Ah, my bad, try using the Scroll_Floor line special (223), that's where I've seen it work. I'm not entirely sure if it's possible to make simple sector-effect scrolling floors push Violet.
Rexen wrote:Oh and Jimmy I think the player should be allow to only to heal up to 100 hp by drinking from the the barrel
Yeah I just recently made this change. :)
Gez wrote:There are the RestrictedTo/ForbiddenTo things that can prevent player classes from picking up items but I'm not sure how they react with things attempting to pick up items that aren't a player class at all. Worth a try I guess.

Code: Select all

Script error, "j-ABahB-demo.wad:DEC_OBJ" line 6:
Violet must inherit from PlayerPawn but doesn't.
is the answer to that. :|
arookas

Post by arookas »

You could try replacing the standard doom pickups with custominventories that use [wiki]CheckClass[/wiki] to restrict them to the player.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Arookas wrote:You could try replacing the standard doom pickups with custominventories that use [wiki]CheckClass[/wiki] to restrict them to the player.
Have Violet start the game by immediately filling her entire inventory full of ammo and weapons, so that there is no room for her to try to pick up more. She'll still try to pick up backpacks, though...
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Yeah I already tried out Arookas's method, it would seem to be the ideal way to go. Thing is I'm almost a little too partial to the idea of her picking up all this stuff. :P She can basically pick up everything now, complete with telegraphing messages, and here's how I've done it.
  • Stimpacks, medikits, soulspheres and megaspheres heal her like they do the player. This might change.
  • She can even pick up armor and this will show on the HUD underneath her health status. Megasphere also gives blue armor to her.
  • She can send ammunition and keys straight to the player when she runs over them. Same deal with certain powerups like computer maps and light goggles.
  • Blur spheres and invulnerabilities actually affect her - monsters will have a hard time trying to fight her with the former, and of course with the latter she becomes indestructible. (There is currently no visual effect to denote this like there is with the blur sphere.)
  • I've got something unique in mind for radsuits and berserk, which are the only thing left.
All this seem ideal? I understand that certain things affecting her and others affecting the player might not be the most intuitive way to go about it.
Rexen

Post by Rexen »

To make the barrel move on a conveyor belts, first tag the sector. Then make a script like this:

Code: Select all

script 1 Enter {

Scroll_Floor(4,32,0,2);

}
4 is the sector tag, 32 is the x speed, 0 is the y speed, 2 is the type.
SCROLL is type 0 and only moves the flat
CARRY is type 1 and only carries objects
SCROLL AND CARRY is type 2 and carries objects and moves the flat
This is taken from this wiki page: [wiki]Scroll_Floor[/wiki]
I have add a map to this post that shows the script in action.
Attachments
CBDEMO.wad
This replaces MAP03
(3.39 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Rexen

Post by Rexen »

Jimmy wrote:Yeah I already tried out Arookas's method, it would seem to be the ideal way to go. Thing is I'm almost a little too partial to the idea of her picking up all this stuff. :P She can basically pick up everything now, complete with telegraphing messages, and here's how I've done it.
  • Stimpacks, medikits, soulspheres and megaspheres heal her like they do the player. This might change.
  • She can even pick up armor and this will show on the HUD underneath her health status. Megasphere also gives blue armor to her.
  • She can send ammunition and keys straight to the player when she runs over them. Same deal with certain powerups like computer maps and light goggles.
  • Blur spheres and invulnerabilities actually affect her - monsters will have a hard time trying to fight her with the former, and of course with the latter she becomes indestructible. (There is currently no visual effect to denote this like there is with the blur sphere.)
  • I've got something unique in mind for radsuits and berserk, which are the only thing left.
All this seem ideal? I understand that certain things affecting her and others affecting the player might not be the most intuitive way to go about it.
I like this idea, I do know that objects can have custom renders so you should be able to use the same blur effect the player uses and the Spectre.
Edit: Also I think you should add a weapon that acts like a reset button so when the player "fires it" it kills them and the reloads the level.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Updated to 0.1.3. This is rather a big'un.

Changelog:
- MAP01 further updated.
- Violet now picks up items. She can be healed with health pickups and even wear armor! But has no need for weapons. If she runs over a key, that key will be transferred to you, as will the effects of computer maps and light goggles, and any ammunition she runs over too.
- There is now a "Detonator" weapon in slot 0. You can use this to blow Violet up and restart the level if you find yourself unable to reach her or get out of a sticky situation. It requires you to hold the Fire button for a few seconds so as not to make accidentally selecting it and wrecking your progress a problem.
- Violet now has +WINDTHRUST, +TELESTOMP and +CANPASS. For anyone wanting to have wind sectors affect her, or build in telefrag traps she can be a part of. :P The third flag allows her to stand on top of other actors.
- Violet no longer takes environmental damage if she's above the damaging floor.
- Player can no longer heal from Violet above 100% or if she's currently healing in berry liquid.
- There is no longer a ~1 second delay before the "mission accomplished" sequence.
- References to "barrel" now changed to "Violet" in all onscreen warning messages.
- You'll get yelled at if you hurt Violet now.
- Violet will start to sulk if you stand apart from her for too long.
- Violet's sprites are now paletted PNGs, so palettes in other WADs don't interfere with her purples.

----------

Also, Cage has done us some friggin' awesome Portal-esque signs! Check this out:

The numbers and sign icons are all included in the wad as individual graphics, and the one you see in the updated MAP01 is defined in TEXTURES. There is also a lump I've called TEXHELP which outlines precisely how these signs are composited.

If you wish to make your own, please do! But maybe define your sign(s) with a prefix, like "REX_####" for Rexen, etc. They'll eventually be included in the main WAD and compiling everything will ideally need to be free of conflicts.
Gutawer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gutawer »

Found a few bugs with the newest version - first of all, Violet doesn't take damage while on top of nukage anymore, this must have been screwed up with the above-the-floor stuff, and also, if you finish the level in a way where you can eat off the barrel and press E on the it, the white effect dissapears. If you press E repeatedly after the level ends, you can kill yourself. However, the level still ends afterwards.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”