On Cosmic Tides - Yar har, fiddle dee dee! [WIP]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DustZero

Re: On Cosmic Tides - Yar har, fiddle dee dee! [WIP]

Post by DustZero »

Ozymandias81 wrote: @TerminusEst13
Sorry for being a bit out if the contest here, but in any case very good work over those models!
I personally use Misfit3d for several reasons, what did you use to build those boxes? Or did you import them from somewhere else?
I made those.

I used Blender to model and texture them and then used a MD3 Exporter addon to export them.
You can find the one I used here.

I also made an attempt at a metal crate but it looks kinda bad because I don't have much experience with texturing.
RockstarRaccoon

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

DustZero wrote:it looks kinda bad because I don't have much experience with texturing.
Looks passable to me.

The main thing, from my understanding, is to have a 1 to 1 ratio with doom's default resolution, and have them aligned for that. Each pixel on the model should be the same size as a map-pixel. That means that, in game, the pixels of a flat side's texture should line up with a wall or floor. It can take a moment to get right, but if your details align with the map's details, it will look like it belongs more than if you just shove it in there...
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Rehauled one of the weapons entirely. The Ripslayer, the triple bouncing-blade launcher, is now the Voltdriver, an electric shotgun.

Ripping weapons won't work really well in Tides' gameplay, unfortunately. Since inventory and information is given to the player on a shot hitting the enemy, a ripping weapon that passes through the enemy works against this. There's no way to tell when they've actually hit an enemy.
So as much as I enjoyed the laser blade, I'll have to either put it on the backburner or recycle the effects for a different kind of weapon.

...By the way.

Since most of the weapons are done, one thing I've been having to go back and check and double-check and triple-check constantly is weapon balance. A pipe dream that I've been working REALLY HARD for is that I'd like this to also be loadable as a gameplay mod alongside traditional mapsets, and in order to do that I've been needing to adjust and fine-tune weapon balance and damage so that things aren't too stupidly strong.
Actual developmental progress throughout January has been a bit slow because of this. I've been obsessively going through mapsets and taking notes of how many shots it takes to kill enemies, adjusting damage values, doing DPS calculations, and adjusting damage values again because of this, then doing it again and again and again and oh hi it's 6AM and I've gotten NOTHING DONE on the programming front. Equinox is still great, on a completely unrelated note.

It's real easy to just throw balance by the wayside and go full OP, and I can understand why. I mean, this is a cool OC that EVERYONE should realize is a special snowflake!!! Of course they're SUPER EBIN and can take on the hordes of Hell!!!! Let's crank the damage values way up!!!!! But after the initial power rush fades away, it's not actually that much fun to play. Challenge is a vital part of the experience, if there's nothing to struggle against then winning isn't satisfying.
The Crimson Skull is a touch stronger than the usual playerpawn, what with having a rapid-fire infinite ammo starting weapon, stomps, and a screen-clearing bomb blast. It can't be helped. But don't go expecting to solo Chillax unless you acquire proficiency.
DustZero

Post by DustZero »

RockstarRaccoon wrote: The main thing, from my understanding, is to have a 1 to 1 ratio with doom's default resolution, and have them aligned for that. Each pixel on the model should be the same size as a map-pixel. That means that, in game, the pixels of a flat side's texture should line up with a wall or floor. It can take a moment to get right, but if your details align with the map's details, it will look like it belongs more than if you just shove it in there...
I know. You'd have to have the Z-axis scaled to 1.2 in order to do that. But I think that's only important if the items need to align with the map details and this isn't really the case with the crates in my opinion. We will have to see.
Untitled
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Untitled »

TerminusEst13 wrote:Stuff about making this a gameplay mod
My recommendation is balance cosmic tides relative to itself before you worry about balancing it relative to doom.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

This is a small screenshot, but it is still a screenshot. Hey, look at that new mouse cursor! Not too shabby, for programmer art.

Since I’ve been focusing first and foremost on the gameplay, all of the graphics have been pretty much entirely either placeholder assets or programmer art. So every time I make something graphically that comes out not completely terrible, I end up jumping up and down in place like a 13-year-old and waving my arms for everybody to see.
RockstarRaccoon

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Looks pretty nice in general.
Rozy

Post by Rozy »

It might just be a cursor, but it is genuinely pretty nice chunky and pleasant. It's pretty easy to make a little cursor arrow look too sterile by accident. And it certainly fits the menu aesthetics better than the silly rabbit head fits the doom menus.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

This popped up in the last video, but it hasn’t gotten formally introduced yet, so here it is. The fullscreen HUD. Placeholder graphics, as usual, but the layout is done.

All of the extra bits and fluff are cut out, leaving just bare information. On the left, your health, how much armor you have left, how much jet fuel you have. On the right, your ammo and how many bombs you’ve got. On the top, your money.

SBARINFO’s getting rehauled with ZScript soon, I hear, so I’m interested in seeing if I can port these HUDs over. Probably a good thing, too, since the helmet HUD tends to lag for some reason…
skyrish10
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7

Post by skyrish10 »

TerminusEst13 wrote:
Probably a good thing, too, since the helmet HUD tends to lag for some reason…
It's because that graphic uses HQ render, try using it with the new ZScript, that's the reason why the hud lags
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

ZScript supports HUD stuff already? Wow, that was fast.
I don't think it's that big an HQ render, it uses the standard Doom resolution--it's not 1600x900 or anything, just typical 320x200.

Still, I'll give it a shot down the line. I'm eager to see if there's any big differences.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I'm not entirely sure Skyrish knows what he's talking about.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

In the spacefuture, bars are wooden. Also hey, sushi and burger. Breakfast of champions.

I’m having fun doing food props for maps. I wanna put in more food.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Hope we can put LOTSA SPAGHETTI
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Oops, I forgot to post a screenshot last week.

Don’t worry, guys, I’m still bad at mapping!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”