On Cosmic Tides - Yar har, fiddle dee dee! [WIP]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Untitled
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: On Cosmic Tides - Yar har, fiddle dee dee! [WIP]

Post by Untitled »

>Not using Initial D soundtrack for MULTI-TRACK DRIFTING

If this does get in (and if it doesn't you better make another project just to put this in), you could do another music pack.

"But Untitled, isn't adding an entire soundtrack just for one probably-not-major part of a project a huge waste of-" NOBODY GIVES A DAMN ABOUT EFFICIENCY OF FILESIZE (for the most part)
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

I'm pretty sure you'll find the exact opposite opinion more than you'd think, actually.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Idk, maybe I just don't know where to look, but I rarely ever see people complain about the file-sizes of Doom mods. If at all.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Untitled wrote:>Not using Initial D soundtrack for MULTI-TRACK DRIFTING
That was indeed Initial D music; Gas Gas Gas is part of the Fifth Stage album.
Untitled wrote:If this does get in (and if it doesn't you better make another project just to put this in)
If this ends up getting cut from the game, I'll likely just release it as a standalone. Same with the platformer hacking system.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

With different game style to play with, huh? Making those standalones into F Zero and Super Mario if got rejected would be wonderful-
Untitled
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Untitled »

TerminusEst13 wrote:
FUDGE
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Untitled wrote:
TerminusEst13 wrote:
FUDGE
Maybe you just watched the wrong video.
Brmmmmmmmm...
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Boy, that's a slight bit of a change in FPS.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

'I hate Crates.' - Sam S. Stone

And great effort to make those crate models actually work! If you know what i mean.
Sinael

Post by Sinael »

What is the difference between those crates (aside from textures)?
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

One's voxels, the other's models. Voxels are rendered very inefficiently in the engine, each separate voxel is a separate 3D model, which makes the voxel boxes so much more taxing than models.
Which isn’t really so much of a problem when it’s just a few of the actors by themselves, but in a room like this chock full of them, the difference is very noticable. And with the amount of actors weapons/items/props been spawning, optimization is something that REALLY needs to be kept in mind.
It’s a double-edged sword that’s had me many a nights spinning around in my chair, staring at the ceiling.

Voxels are needlessly hoggy on resources and significantly more difficult to make. But it’s VERY EASY to mess up models and break the look of a spritegame.
There has never been an implementation of models in a mod/TC I’ve seen that has looked natural along with sprites and maps. Hocus Pocus Doom, Blade of Agony, and especially Hunter’s Moon all have models sticking out like a sore thumb. Voxels look a lot more natural and fit with the style of sprites much more easily.
RockstarRaccoon

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

To be fair, I blame that in Blade of Agony on the insistence of using them on decorations: those statues could just be a sprite, those barrels could just be a sector... Why so many MD2s?

Also, the main reason why MD2s don't look as good as voxels in this case is unaligned pixels. I think you can fix that by taking care about that and making textures where it's not as obvious...
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

RockstarRaccoon wrote:To be fair, I blame that in Blade of Agony on the insistence of using them on decorations: those statues could just be a sprite, those barrels could just be a sector... Why so many MD2s?

Also, the main reason why MD2s don't look as good as voxels in this case is unaligned pixels. I think you can fix that by taking care about that and making textures where it's not as obvious...
1. We used MD3s and only a couple of MD2s

2. The amount of details given by models can't be reached nor is reasonable via sprites, even if they are super-dupely detailed

3. There is a menu option on BoA called ENH. OPTIONS which may improve GREATLY in-game performance: for your info the DistanceCheck feature has been added even thanks to BoA and our "insistence" to include models

4. If you don't have a good PC nor if it is good enough configured then that's why performance doesn't go well (these are my specs and I can run BoA at 35/40fps quite everywhere in the game)

5. Skins can be fixed and adjusted perfectly over 3d models but sometimes this would be super-nitpicky if you consider the huge amount of work behind them

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

@TerminusEst13

Sorry for being a bit out if the contest here, but in any case very good work over those models!
I personally use Misfit3d for several reasons, what did you use to build those boxes? Or did you import them from somewhere else?
RockstarRaccoon

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

2. The amount of details given by models can't be reached nor is reasonable via sprites, even if they are super-dupely detailed
I've seen some pretty good looking stuff done with 2x res billboarded sprites.
3. There is a menu option on BoA called ENH. OPTIONS which may improve GREATLY in-game performance: for your info the DistanceCheck feature has been added even thanks to BoA and our "insistence" to include models
4. If you don't have a good PC nor if it is good enough configured then that's why performance doesn't go well (these are my specs and I can run BoA at 35/40fps quite everywhere in the game)
We're not talking about performance, we're talking about how models sometimes don't fit in with a sprite-based world.
5. Skins can be fixed and adjusted perfectly over 3d models but sometimes this would be super-nitpicky if you consider the huge amount of work behind them
Yeah, that's what I meant: if you're really careful about the exact dimensions of a model and its texture, you can avoid having it look out of place.

Edit:
Waitaminute... Terminus, which picture is the one with the models? I think the second one looks better!
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

pretty sure the second picture IS the one with models, given the whole talk he had about how voxels are inefficiently rendered in the game and taking up lots of resources.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”