On Cosmic Tides - Yar har, fiddle dee dee! [WIP]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TerminusEst13

On Cosmic Tides - Yar har, fiddle dee dee! [WIP]

Post by TerminusEst13 »

OVERVIEW:
One of the most notorious space pirates in the universe, the Crimson Skull sails from planet to planet in her ship, plundering all she can before hopping to the next galaxy. No stronghold has been able to keep her out. No empire has been able to catch her. And no treasure will be able to keep itself from her grasp.
Her true identity, her motives, and her history are all shrouded in mystery, but one thing is for sure... Every planet fears the coming of the masked pirate bathed in red.

On Cosmic Tides is aimed to be a full game made in the GZDoom engine, about the adventures of a fuckin' nerd in a cape and a dumb hat and her quest to rob from the rich and give to the poor Swiss bank account in her name.
The project officially "began" on the start of this year, inspired by the requests/suggestions/questions about making my earlier projects like DemonSteele and/or Metroid Dreadnought into full TCs, and since then I've been focusing on getting the tech up and running and into a solid base.
While it's still barely anywhere especially notable yet (got a baaaaaad case of "placeholder syndrome" here), the gameplay is pretty neat so far and it's fun to fly around and shoot dudes with a laser cannon.

GOAL:
The aim of the project is simple: Make a fun FPS game with guns and shooting and treasure. In a short sentence, fly from planet to planet, shoot enemies, grab dosh. Do what you want, 'cause a pirate is free.
Ideally, if we're going in full pipe dream, the overall gameplay will never stretch too far from this. You'll be able to select the planet you want to fly to with your ship, and each planet will be a miniature episode with a handful of levels roaming about it, large enough to roam around, populated enough to shoot a bunch of enemies, and with a lot of stuff to pick up. Dual wield large weapons, destroy crates to get more money, blow up enemies that take offense to you being there, pick up a cool bit of tech, fight a boss, then fly off in your ship and head to another planet.

Tides is not looking to reinvent the wheel by making a cutting-edge never-before-seen project with "innovative" features or "revolutionary" tech. Likewise, Tides is not aiming to be a retro, or epic, or old-school, or legendary either.
The game is simple and the goal is simple: It's about being a pirate and shooting aliens and robots and getting treasure. It's unapologetically a mish-mash of everything that I love about video games, a piecemeal of stuff I've made over the years and stuff I like making, and a shameless rip-off of a whole bunch of franchises I enjoy slapped together into a messy whole.

FEATURES:
- A whole ton of placeholder art and photoshopped stock photos.
- I'm... I'm sorry. I'm not an artist. I'm trying. Please stop hitting me.
- Arcade Mode and Story Mode, depending on if you just want to shoot dudes or if you know what "dichotomy" means.
- You can run! And jump! You can't crouch, though. Crouching is dumb.
- Dodge left and right to avoid enemy fire! Or fly with your jet boots if you're lazy I guess.
- Guns that damage enemies when shot by them!
- Wield ANOTHER gun at the same time! Bloody hell!
- Shoot people with your armor! Or shoot people in your ship! Or shoot people on foot!
- When you push the direction keys, your character moves in the direction specified!
- Kawaii anime girls! ^____^
- Music stolen from the greatest artists of ModArchive! Thievery is cool!
- Maps made by someone that has no clue how to map!
- Progress that's less than 1% overall done!
- But don't worry, I've got LOTS OF IDEASSSS
- Compatibility with Brutal Doom!
- Wait, hold on.
- Oh, I misread that, sorry. It's not compatible. Sorry.

WIP VIDEOS:

CREWMATES:
- Drawfrag (drew all the pretty portraits and helped out with character design)
- Mike12 (did pretty sprites and says he'll do more)
- Arborix (really good at making really cool art and also drew some sprites)
- Captain J (drew a lot of things and is really good with MSPaint)
- DustZero (also drew a lot of things and provided big anime girls)
- Kurashiki (helped out with the logo and drew some vectors for things)
- Sgt. Shivers (played it once and told me to do things better)
- Combine_Kegan (tells me when I'm bad at video games)

ALSO THANKS TO:
- comet1337 (did the beautiful K.B. Special)
- BatteryBlack (allowed me to use some really pretty sprites that are from his own WIP TC)
- demo_the_man (helped detail and decorate the Red Manticore ship map)
- Nash (allowed me to steal code from him)
- Lork (same)
- SidDoyle (saaame)
- Major Cooke (saaaaame)
- DaZombieKiller (saaaaaaame)
- Marrub (saaaaaaaaame)
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 9 times in total.
JimpArgon

Re: The Booty Project - It's Time to Butt [WIP]

Post by JimpArgon »

Holy shit! This looks wicked awesome! That gameplay video sold me.
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

awesome :shock:
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Time to avast meself and wait for the release of this beautiful booty! Keep up yer good work, matey!
TheLightBad96
Location: Jonathan Crimson pleased to make your acquaintance.

Post by TheLightBad96 »

Yay Another Mod that has the Space Pirate type of theme in it, Now I am seriously hoping Space Pirate/Bounty Hunter doom mods become a Trend for a little while "Mean While this may be the closest thing to Cowboy Bebop Mod that will ever happen, But i will love it the same way".
TerminusEst13 wrote: - Compatibility with Brutal Doom!
- Wait, hold on.
- Oh, I misread that, sorry. It's not compatible. Sorry.
I could not care if it did not work with brutal doom, If i wanted to play BD with your works then I would Load up Project Brutality with your DUMP map series "even then i would just also play Demonsteele to get my Extreme Gore Fix". What I would really would hope for is that if you would make it compatible with Marty Kirra's/Blue Vertigo's TSP. "Just think about Playing Marty's Space Pirate Mod with your Space Pirate Mod, it would be like Space Pirate-Ception"

P.S. Love your Work/Projects as always :wub:

P.P.S. One of your videos shows the player getting absolutely wasted by drinking the Magical Jack Daniels Whiskey Bottle of Unlimited Booze, will Getting Drunk be implimented in the mod or was it a proof of concept thing.
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

great story words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words words
ijon

Post by ijon »

what anime is this from
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

From many animes in space, plus metroid.

and anime.
rabid marine

Post by rabid marine »

Why is yen the new space age currency, and not something simple like credits? why does the main character wear the same stuff pirates wore in the pirate age, and not body armor like any self-respecting space pirate would wear? Why the hell is her best friend (I'm assuming, could be her worst enemy for all we know) blue? I WANT ANSWERS! And food, i'm pretty hungry. Yeah, mostly food.

(on a more serious note, it looks great! I can't wait to get my hands on it.)
Swordman

Post by Swordman »

I noticed the coins. Is going to be a store or something? Or they are just score
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

terminusest13 wrote:You can't crouch, though. Crouching is dumb.
cough cough
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

hey i watched the video on youtube last nita at 11pm ¬¬ u dont sleep dont u, TerminusEst13??
oh btw this is the booty project: the ass parade dimension? or the tong of evil? or the infernal crack?? XD
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

*booty jokes intensify*

oh wait. I have to say something more worthwhile than that, don't I?

Riiiight.

Well, this certainly looks neat so far, even if it's placeholder-mania.

sub'd.
UnholyShadows

Post by UnholyShadows »

Wait are you adding some descent type gameplay elements to this wad?
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

will there be revenants

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”