ZOMBIES: Extreme Epidemic Edition - 1995 TC ZDoom UPDATE

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Toyoch

Re: ZOMBIES: Extreme Epidemic Edition - 1995 TC ZDoom UPDATE

Post by Toyoch »

I have uploaded a new version. Check first post. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.
Downloaded and tried.

New rifle is much more useful vs zombies(bikers and thugs are better dealt with fast weapons due to high HP and low stun resistance).
Zombies dropping things is nice and I feel it balanced with the base wad(on HMP difficulty).
Map07 problem is confirmed gone. Thanks!

Another thing I found problematic is the map designs where it sometimes require you to crouch or jump.
But I think that's more of mapping part than coding and I assume they are untouched from the original mod.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Gave this a quick spin, thoughts so far -

1) The MIDI music should just be part of the main package, no sense playing this mod with the default Doom music. MP3 is fine separated because some people may not want big downloads.

2) Give all your weapons customized names with the "Tag" DECORATE property on your weapons, otherwise they're displayed as having the default Doom weapon names when the user uses the mousewheel to switch weapons.

3) You should find a way to spread out the zombie spawns so that they're all not clumped together... and since they all move so slow, the zombies are usually just stuck close to each other all the time. Maybe give them random spawn X and Y offsets? IMO it would look more chaotic (like in the games Dead Rising or Left 4 Dead) if the zombies actually physically fill up the map space.

That's all I have so far. Oh and I'm always running out of ammo but I probably just need to git gud
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Nash wrote:Gave this a quick spin, thoughts so far -

1) The MIDI music should just be part of the main package, no sense playing this mod with the default Doom music. MP3 is fine separated because some people may not want big downloads.

2) Give all your weapons customized names with the "Tag" DECORATE property on your weapons, otherwise they're displayed as having the default Doom weapon names when the user uses the mousewheel to switch weapons.

3) You should find a way to spread out the zombie spawns so that they're all not clumped together... and since they all move so slow, the zombies are usually just stuck close to each other all the time. Maybe give them random spawn X and Y offsets? IMO it would look more chaotic (like in the games Dead Rising or Left 4 Dead) if the zombies actually physically fill up the map space.

That's all I have so far. Oh and I'm always running out of ammo but I probably just need to git gud
I was thinking the same thing for the zombie spawners but i still don't know all the features yet. I should really read the wiki for a few hours.
Miguel371xd

Post by Miguel371xd »

Rockers are enemies? rockers shoot me

(NICE MOD)
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

I get that this would probably ruin the retro 90s feeling, but i can't help modding off the weapons.
Just take this as an optional addon if you're feeling bored or something.
No custom coding unfortunately (not exactly knowledgeable in that for now), just different sprites + sounds + few text + center rocket firing direction.

https://www.mediafire.com/?8wbi5dowkfv271m

CREDITS :

LAW - SureShot (Model + Skin)
Hunting Rifle - Chronoteeth + GAA1992
KABAR - Venom (Model) + Chimp_ (Skin)
Hand Sheet - Monolith + Weapon Hands Sprites Thread
Revolver - Lobotomy Software + Dynamo
M60 - TwinkeMasta + Flamshmizer + Kimono
Weapon Sounds - Navaro + Magmacow
Last edited by ZikShadow on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Nice work on the sprites, ZIkShadow. They really look better. You guys should team up and share the work. I would love to help if i could, but i got my hands full in my own projects now. Needing some advice, feel free to PM. My decorate knowledge is at your service.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

If we can make suitable replacements for the rest maybe I'll change my mind and upgrade weapons, maybe integrate this with the main project if that's alright with you. Gonna download this when I get back to hotel and check it out

[EDIT]Well, thanks to the small display of cell phones, I was not able to see the whole screenshot and thought you only replaced a few sprites. Since all the weapons are replaced, I would very much like to integrate this with the main project, with your permission of course. Really the whole reason I didn't want to change them is because nothing seemed to fit, but this works perfectly IMO.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

AstroCreep wrote:If we can make suitable replacements for the rest maybe I'll change my mind and upgrade weapons, maybe integrate this with the main project if that's alright with you. Gonna download this when I get back to hotel and check it out

[EDIT]Well, thanks to the small display of cell phones, I was not able to see the whole screenshot and thought you only replaced a few sprites. Since all the weapons are replaced, I would very much like to integrate this with the main project, with your permission of course. Really the whole reason I didn't want to change them is because nothing seemed to fit, but this works perfectly IMO.
Yeah, sure, all fine by me.
I do wonder if we can do anything about the zombies though...
It never hurts to have proper sprited zombies rather than photo based ones.
Max Dickings

Post by Max Dickings »

:O

Oh this is fantastic! I never knew it was supposed to run this way, I remembered zombies would fire rockets and some would fly like lost souls. This is much better xD
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Max Dickings wrote::O

Oh this is fantastic! I never knew it was supposed to run this way, I remembered zombies would fire rockets and some would fly like lost souls. This is much better xD
The original used a dehacked patch that you had to apply to the original exe. That's prob why nothing worked right. It still worked pretty janky compared to mods of today, it was pretty badass in 95
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Sorry for the delay - been busy at work. New update is uploaded, check first post for the downloads.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

There seems to be a bit of an oddity on the grenade sprite.

Also, cops drop the normal pistol instead of a revolver.

Should be this :

Yuraofthehairfan

Post by Yuraofthehairfan »

Been looking for normal weaponless zombie sprites for a long time.
is it ok I use them in a wad?
I got an idea for a dark zombie wad just need the right zombies. :D
BFG

Post by BFG »

rocker/bikers should be enemies, just like in the movie
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

BFG wrote:rocker/bikers should be enemies, just like in the movie
Have you played the mod yet?
They are enemies here, they shoot at you.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”