ZOMBIES: Extreme Epidemic Edition - 1995 TC ZDoom UPDATE

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ZikShadow

Re: ZOMBIES: Extreme Epidemic Edition - 1995 TC ZDoom UPDATE

Post by ZikShadow »

It's been a long time since i've seen this mod.
Playing it again with Lowtech Remake is pretty fun.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

A'kay, i've had some bizarre 90's retro-fun. Neat work. Although my inconveniences would be invalid to this kind of mod, but going to share it anyway;

- Every guns has it-has-no-decals™ cliche here. Intentional?
- Hunting rifle is tedious to use unlike other weapons. even revolver is less-tedious. Can we just have it pierce or spread shots? That would be better.
- Zombies are so slow, always gets together and spawns many of them in one spot, it makes them look like the amoeba colony.

That's it. Neat mod, neat 90's taste.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

1. New to decorate for zdoom most of my experience is with Ecwolf. Not sure how to do decals.

2. Rifles don't spread shot so that's a no go but piercing is a good idea. How would I execute that? Lol.

3. Welcome to old rotting Romero zombies lol
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

AstroCreep wrote:1. New to decorate for zdoom most of my experience is with Ecwolf. Not sure how to do decals.
Put Decal "Randomdecalnames" on each weapons' ACTORS, then it should work. And for the weapons that fires projectiles, you might put the decal script on the projectile, not the weapon itself.
2. Rifles don't spread shot so that's a no go but piercing is a good idea. How would I execute that? Lol.

Code: Select all

Fire:
		SHTG A 3
		SHTF AAAA 0 Bright A_FireBullets(-1,-1,1,3)
		SHTF A 4 Bright A_FireBullets(-1,-1,1,3)
		SHTF B 3 Bright A_PlaySound("shotguy/attack")
		SHTG BC 5 A_Recoil(1) 
		SHTG D 4
		SHTG CB 5 
		SHTG A 3
		SHTG A 7 A_ReFire
		Goto Ready
You should make the several artificial fire frames with 0 tick like this. I've edited it like this and now it kills two zombies per shot and it's more powerful and fun to use. Well, to me at least.
3. Welcome to old rotting Romero zombies lol
I know that movie, it's like a godfather of the zombie franchise. But what i actually want to say is that they're slow, less dangerous, and goes through every live or dead things like a ghost. Maybe make them faster?

Oh, also i understand that you're new to doom modding. So you might study something you want to know by asking in How do i thread and Editing section!
Luigi2600

Post by Luigi2600 »

Just upload it to either Mega or Google Drive if Mediafire keeps copyright claiming it.
Dude27th

Post by Dude27th »

AstroCreep wrote:
El_Sombrerero wrote:I played it the first stage for a while, and, it's a nice idea but, isn't very well applied, the quantity of zombies it's so ridiculously high so.... it just doesn't make sense.
Spoiler:
Sounds realistic to me lol. In all zombie movies there seem to be thousands.

The reason that is is because instead of adding thousands of zombies to the maps I simply replaced them with spawners that spawn ten of them. What can I say? I'm lazy.
Yeah, but 300 zombies in the hallway, indoors .................................. really ? It's ok about the spawners but I guess spawners with less zombies indoors or in small areas gonna make more scary the big hordes in the outdoors .
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

I can cure the speed possibly as long as they don't go too fast. As for the passing through, that is to keep them from spawning on the same spot and then not being able to move. Plus it allows for pushing past zombies in small hallways
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

I believe this is your first mod, so i think you are on the right track. However, i think i can add some criticism here.

- I don't know if that was your intention from start in order to keep the feel of the original zombiesTC, but the weapons could be better. Improving the animations and the sounds wouldn't do any harm.

- The music makes the file way too big for what it offers. 56mb that could easily be 10mb or less.

- I liked the hordes and the fact that they are really slow. Not only they feel a lot like George Romero films, as it proportioned me a truly zombie movie moment: i was too busy killing some zombies outside of the window and when i realized what was happening around me i was surrounded by hordes from all sides of the hallway. Eaten to the last gut.

Keep it up!
Toyoch

Post by Toyoch »

What a nostalgia. I used to play the original one years ago.

- Dozen Zombies are always clustered in one spot, and some seem to be stuck and cannot even walk.
I like the changes with zombies(I hated the one with Lost Soul behavior in the original TC), but I feel it's easy to melee your way out, if you're patient and careful enough.

- Few weapons are kind of bad IMHO.
Captain J already mentioned of Hunting Rifle and I like his suggestion.
Grenades are TOO good for its abundance(I think it would be sensible for cops to not drop them. otherwise people would just kill them for free grenades).
Other weapons are good, except the fact I kind of miss the "middle finger" you see with IDFA/IDKFA.

- Class selection is a good addition, but it seems that the Cop is by far the best:
Enemy bikers drop hunting rifles and there's one lying around in level 1, and Hunting Rifle is a bad weapon while M16 is much stronger.
Thug starts with Revolver and 100 ammo, but Cop starts with M16 and 100 ammo, so there's no point choosing him - how about giving Thug armor at start, or give him some melee or stat boost(if possible)?

- When I finish level 7, it took me back to level 2. I tried IDCLEV'ing around and found 13(plus the ending) map. Is there any requirements or ways to reach level 8 in normal playthrough?

Anyways, seeing one of the my favorite TC being revived is always a nice thing!
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

jdredalert wrote:I believe this is your first mod
Not entirely accurate. I've uploaded the mp3s in this pack once before, and I have also done a few things that I've uploaded for Zandronum, most notably my upgrade to H!Zone and "Retro Heretic Pack", a compilation of heretic levels lifted from old wad CDs (I had a weird fascination with shovelware not long ago). Most of my modding background comes from Wolfenstein 3D, or lately, ECWolf (Examples- NOAHPAK:The Invasion; Wolfpak 1&2; Spearpak; Halten Sie! HD update; Astrostein Mac Version PC patch)

- I don't know if that was your intention from start in order to keep the feel of the original zombiesTC, but the weapons could be better. Improving the animations and the sounds wouldn't do any harm.
That was my intention. No I will not change it. I thought about it, but honestly the shitty weapon graphics not only fit stylistically with the shitty digitized sprites, but it also fits with the idea behind the original "Dead" series - the first two were extremely low budget movies, and it definitely shows. Low budget graphics for a low budget TC based off of a low budget film series.
- The music makes the file way too big for what it offers. 56mb that could easily be 10mb or less.
I am addressing that issue by uploading a separate version of the mod containing the original MIDI files rather than the MP3s from the movie. I personally like the MP3s better. Some of the MIDIs were catchy (especially level 3), but some of them were poopstick.
- I liked the hordes and the fact that they are really slow. Not only they feel a lot like George Romero films, as it proportioned me a truly zombie movie moment: i was too busy killing some zombies outside of the window and when i realized what was happening around me i was surrounded by hordes from all sides of the hallway. Eaten to the last gut.
Yes.

Toyoch wrote:- Dozen Zombies are always clustered in one spot, and some seem to be stuck and cannot even walk.
I like the changes with zombies(I hated the one with Lost Soul behavior in the original TC), but I feel it's easy to melee your way out, if you're patient and careful enough.
It's easy because the zombies have extremely low health. 1 or 2 stabs usually will do it. However they make up with their strength in numbers. It may get difficult to knife your way through a zombie gang when they're closing in from all sides in a small area.
- Few weapons are kind of bad IMHO.
Captain J already mentioned of Hunting Rifle and I like his suggestion.
Grenades are TOO good for its abundance(I think it would be sensible for cops to not drop them. otherwise people would just kill them for free grenades).
Other weapons are good, except the fact I kind of miss the "middle finger" you see with IDFA/IDKFA.
Implementing the Rifle code that Captain J supplied. I was thinking the same about the grenades, however I am currently on the road for work and do not have access to my windows computer. I can easily do work in SLADE on my MacBook, but I have yet to find a good level editor that works on mac, so instead of adding the grenades to the levels separately, they are only dropped by either bikers or cops. I am going to remove them from the cops, however, as I agree that they turned out to be too plentiful.
- Class selection is a good addition, but it seems that the Cop is by far the best:
Enemy bikers drop hunting rifles and there's one lying around in level 1, and Hunting Rifle is a bad weapon while M16 is much stronger.
Thug starts with Revolver and 100 ammo, but Cop starts with M16 and 100 ammo, so there's no point choosing him - how about giving Thug armor at start, or give him some melee or stat boost(if possible)?
ZDoom's version of DECORATE is quite a bit more advanced than ECWolf's, and even in ECWolf I haven't learned everything yet. (Executor AKA Woolie Wool has come up with some pretty interesting shit in ECWolf) I'm probably going to have the thug start with a couple grenades as extra or something of the sort. I was gonna have them have different max healths and ammo and a few other things, but like I said, I'm still learning a few things, especially in the area of player classes. Completely alien to me.
- When I finish level 7, it took me back to level 2. I tried IDCLEV'ing around and found 13(plus the ending) map. Is there any requirements or ways to reach level 8 in normal playthrough?
Well, that was a stupid mistake on my part lol. MAPINFO error.
Captain J wrote:

Fire:
		SHTG A 3
		SHTF AAAA 0 Bright A_FireBullets(-1,-1,1,3)
		SHTF A 4 Bright A_FireBullets(-1,-1,1,3)
		SHTF B 3 Bright A_PlaySound("shotguy/attack")
		SHTG BC 5 A_Recoil(1) 
		SHTG D 4
		SHTG CB 5 
		SHTG A 3
		SHTG A 7 A_ReFire
		Goto Ready
You should make the several artificial fire frames with 0 tick like this. I've edited it like this and now it kills two zombies per shot and it's more powerful and fun to use. Well, to me at least.
How can I get that to only fire one bullet? With this method, each A_FireBullets uses 1 round.
I am not going to implement decals until I figure out how to make the player shoot projectiles at the proper height. I adjusted height for sprite differences (which unfortunately now makes crouching a requirement) but the player still shoots at normal height. Nervewracking.
Another thing - anyone know to get an actor to RANDOMLY drop an item? That would help with the grenades immensely.

I have uploaded a new version. Check first post. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.
Luigi2600

Post by Luigi2600 »

I think this should become a full improvement project in my personal opinion. Such examples as making the item's , enemies and everything slightly modernized for GZDoom and Zandronum. I would love to see a fully workable sinper rifle rather then a re-texture of the shotgun. Improved Level Design would also be cool as well. :D
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

I agree, however I do not have the time for such an undertaking, between my new job and my prior ECWolf projects that I need to finish. Besides, a complete overhaul would (in my opinion) require someone with a lot of experience. One thing Doom lacks is a GOOD zombie mod in this style. Should be done right. I'd be happy to contribute to such a project, but I don't have enough experience to spearhead something such as that, in my opinion. YET.
Luigi2600

Post by Luigi2600 »

AstroCreep wrote:I agree, however I do not have the time for such an undertaking, between my new job and my prior ECWolf projects that I need to finish. Besides, a complete overhaul would (in my opinion) require someone with a lot of experience. One thing Doom lacks is a GOOD zombie mod in this style. Should be done right. I'd be happy to contribute to such a project, but I don't have enough experience to spearhead something such as that, in my opinion. YET.
I could help with the maps if you want.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

I'm terribly sorry for giving you a misinformation. It was actually simple, easier and uses 1 bullet per shot when it goes like this;

SHTF A 4 Bright A_FireBullets(0,0,2,8)
Put it only once, and you'll know what i mean.
AstroCreep wrote:I am not going to implement decals until I figure out how to make the player shoot projectiles at the proper height. I adjusted height for sprite differences (which unfortunately now makes crouching a requirement) but the player still shoots at normal height. Nervewracking.
If you are talking about the rocket launcher's height, i think i just fixed it right properly.

MISG B 6 A_FireCustomMissile("NewRocket",0,1,14,10,12)
Another thing - anyone know to get an actor to RANDOMLY drop an item? That would help with the grenades immensely.
Put the chance(max amount is 255) and number of ammo. Like this, now rockers doesn't drop it sometimes.

DropItem "HandGrenades" 100 1
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Captain J - Implemented all of that code above. First post for download

Luigi2600 - Could always use more levels. 12 ain't enough. It'd be really cool if there was another episode, maybe inspired from Night of the Living Dead, or even some of the Italian sequels (like Fulci's Zombi 2)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”