The Joy of Mapping - RELEASED!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

The Joy of Mapping - RELEASED!

Postby Jimmy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:43 am

This session is over and the maps are complete! Thanks so much to everyone who participated.

Download Links
Current Release: Final
Dropbox / Powerhouse / /idgames
Requires ZDoom/GZDoom/Zandronum.

Map list:
Code: Select allExpand view
MAP01: Crapola Canyon - Baratus
MAP02: Better than Wow, Barely - BouncyTEM
MAP03: Rocks - DoomTheRobot
MAP04: Pure Jammin' Arse Burgers - speckygingerweapon
MAP05: AASHITTY - Fulsy
MAP06: Little Green Base - Fuzzball
MAP07: The Duobase - Gutawer
MAP08: The Horror of Mapping - Kate
MAP09: Untitled - MarketAnarchy
MAP10: Hogshoe - MrGlide
MAP11: Spooky Spoops - Pinchy
MAP12: Fut the Whack - Fonze
MAP13: Untitled - ZZYZX
MAP14: Crap - Vbob
MAP15: Joyfort - Jimmy

=====

Discord #general channel Link - For general communication.
Discord #mapping channel Link - For the group tuition session later. PM me for link.

My Twitch Stream

• Have you heard of a thing called "Doom mapping" which is that thing a load of snobby retrophiles do for fame and glory?
  • Have you opened up Doom Builder maybe once or twice but been utterly intimidated by the interface?
  • Does mapping seem to you like something best left to "the professionals"?

Come along down! I'll be hosting an instructional mapping tuition session for an hour or two, which will be hosted on Discord and Twitch, for the newbiest among us. We'll all come together and make a mapset.

You will learn:
  • The basics of mapping in your chosen format. There are universal mechanics which we will cover.
  • How to use sector tags and switches and make your map dynamic.
  • How to make interesting layouts, and keep the player interested in progressing.
  • How to prevent the player from getting stuck, or too lost.
  • How to place monsters and items sensibly.
  • How to make your map look pretty.

I am hosting this on Saturday 23rd July @ 9PM EDT / 1AM GMT / 9AM GMT+8. Mapping should start at this time, so please join the server early so we can prepare.
This date/time is negotiable, we can totally change it if it suits more people.

How this works:
  • Show up to the Discord #mapping channel. PM me for the link to this. You don't need Discord installed, as the web app will do just fine. Discord, for those not in the know, is a powerful communication program with text chat, voice chat, file sharing, streaming support, and all sorts of other goodies.
  • You won't need to have voice enabled for this session, but it might help to be party to what's going on. I will be making important announcements over voice, Discord chat, and maybe Twitch chat. (Might get a bot to do these for me actually, if I can.)
  • There will also be a Twitch stream through which I'll broadcast what's happening on my screen. You may refer to this throughout the session if you wish.
  • We will map for an hour, maybe two. In that time, I'll be giving a set of instructions to all the participants. Every 5 minutes the mappers will receive a new thing to do with their map. It'll be a mostly general thing rather like "make a set of stairs", or "make a connecting bridge" or "place down some decorations". I'll give details on how these things are done if needed. But it's up to the mappers to implement these instructions as best they can, in whatever stylistic way they choose.
  • At the end of the mapping session, we should all have complete maps - we'll take a while to playtest and bugfix anything. Missing textures, erroneous tags, misalignments and such will all be cleared up here.
  • The mappers should upload their WADs to the Discord channel (or post links to them there) once they're ready to share. Your map will then enter the roster for the compilation WAD I will create out of everyone's submissions.

Rules:
  • Stay on-topic please! Talk to your friends about the latest memes in private messages if you have to.
  • Disruptive or disparaging behavior will not be tolerated. We're all here to have fun. Moderators will likely be employed in the chat, just in case disruptions become a problem.
  • Excessive posting of images, unless it's of your map, is discouraged. The chat will have image thumbnails enabled, so please don't spam.
  • When submitting your map, it must be beatable. We will go over this during the playtesting phase at the end. If your map is not beatable or has not followed the guidelines set throughout the tutorial, it won't be considered for inclusion in the compilation.
  • Don't be afraid to ask any questions, no matter how obvious they may seem.
  • As already said - have fun!! On pain of death. Fun is mandatory here.

The Discord chat is open now, though my availability may vary over the week. I am happy to provide answers to any queries you young whippersnappers may have!
Last edited by Jimmy on Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:29 am, edited 13 times in total.
Jimmy

Discord: Jimmy#4100
Twitch ID: JimmySquared
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Re: The Joy of Mapping - Tuition and guidance for newbies

Postby ReX » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:42 am

Jimmy wrote:... which is that thing a load of snobby retrophiles do for fame and glory?

"Snobby retrophile" I get, especially when I look into the mirror. But "fame and glory"? Those seem to have been most elusive. Heh.

Excellent idea to use a "webinar" for a mapping tutorial, by the way.

Very cool DooM Marine 'fro as well.
ReX
Title? I don't need no steenkin' title!

Postby Slax » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:52 am

Jimmy Ross is the hero we all deserve.
I'd suggest that you do local recordings when streaming just in case Twitch craps out. Better quality, ripe for the Youtubes.

Now, let's consult the oracle.
*rubs cacodemon*

Ah yes! This project will be a great success. Many worthwhile lessons to come.
Slax
Saucy.
... in loving memory ...

Postby Jimmy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:28 pm

Due to some ineloquent behavior on the chat, I've revoked the public link. PM me for the new one.
Jimmy

Postby wildweasel » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:51 pm

Jimmy wrote:Due to some ineloquent behavior on the chat, I've revoked the public link. PM me for the new one.

Geez, it's only been like 4 hours since the thread was posted...do people really feel the need to ruin things like that? Sorry to hear about that, man...
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Jimmy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:42 pm

I've adjusted some stuff and the public link is back. THERE ARE RULES FOR THIS CHANNEL IN A PINNED POST, PLEASE READ.

You will still have to PM me for the #mapping channel link. If you want to come along and are definitely interested in learning how to map, hook me up via PM or another contact method.
Jimmy

Postby Wiw » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:38 pm

I guess I know the basics, but it can't hurt to learn some more. However, I don't know if I can make a lesson at 1am!
Wiw
Frequently puts foot in mouth

OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Jimmy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:23 pm

Hey everyone! It's (around) 8PM EDT (8AM Western Australian/my time) - which means this session will be starting in about 24 hours! We'll be taking some time before the session starts proper, so be here at 8AM (or whatever time it is for you) on Saturday! See you all there. :)
Jimmy

Postby Jimmy » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:31 pm

CLICK HERE FOR HOW MUCH TIME BEFORE IT STARTS! (3 hours 30 minutes as of this post)
Jimmy

Postby Jimmy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:02 am

Howdy, folks! I can say the session went well, with 15 submissions counted. After some internal alpha testing, lots of good feedback and collaboration between the mappers, we have a beta. One more submission is still to come but it's not too late for that one by any means.

Without further ado, I'm pleased to be able to share with you all the first Joy of Mapping compilation! Congratulations and well done to all the students who turned up. I think there's a lot of promise on show here, and I think everyone did good whatever their experience level.

Download Links
Dropbox / Powerhouse
(EDIT: The above links are to outdated versions of the set. Please download the full release!)

Map list:
Code: Select allExpand view
MAP01: Crapola Canyon - Baratus
MAP02: Better than Wow, Barely - BouncyTEM
MAP03: Rocks - DoomTheRobot
MAP04: Fut the Whack - Fonze
MAP05: AASHITTY - Fulsy
MAP06: Little Green Base - Fuzzball
MAP07: The Duobase - Gutawer
MAP08: The Horror of Mapping - Kate
MAP09: Untitled - MarketAnarchy
MAP10: Hogshoe - MrGlide
MAP11: Spooky Spoops - Pinchy
MAP12: Pure Jammin' Arse Burgers - speckygingerweapon
MAP13: Untitled - ZZYZX
MAP14: Crap - Vbob
MAP15: Joyfort - Jimmy

Watch this space/thread for updates from me about possible future sessions like this one.
Last edited by Jimmy on Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy

Re: The Joy of Mapping - BETA RELEASED!

Postby JimpArgon » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:18 am

Ohhhh nice. Now I can see what's been changed.
JimpArgon
:) (:
Banned User

Re: The Joy of Mapping - BETA RELEASED!

Postby comet1337 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:48 am

map10 has the red locked exit door wide open
map can be finished in 2 seconds
1, with jumping
comet1337

Re: The Joy of Mapping - RELEASED!

Postby Jimmy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:00 am

This is out! Check the first post for the download link! /idgames link is still to come.

There've only been a few changes and bugfixes to the maps since the beta release, but the most notable are MrGlide's red door being fixed, and MAP12 and MAP04 (speckygingerweapon's and Fonze's, respectively) being swapped in the set, as the former is an easy romp, while the latter is pretty fiendish with its monster placement.

Check the readme file for all the relevant credits. Once again, thanks so much to everyone who got involved with this, in whatever capacity. Really cool to see so many people keen to learn, and to meet some new friendly faces.

We're keeping the Discord channel very much open and active, by the way. Our tutors are usually available for guidance and advice in whatever area you might be in need of. We're also working on building a list of tutorials - mainly stream and video-based - in a special channel for easy perusal. Come on down if you're eager to learn direct from us!
Jimmy

Re: The Joy of Mapping - RELEASED!

Postby Jimmy » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:30 am

/idgames link added.
Jimmy

Return to Levels