Minimod: ZDoom software bloom

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ZZYZX

Minimod: ZDoom software bloom

Post by ZZYZX »

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/6j00y ... zbloom.pk3
Larger resolutions give more lag. (why does simple additive blending lag? I know GUI layer in software is hardware-accelerated... ZDoom is unable to render 23 images with texture???)
Will work with any map. Use low gamma for better experience.
Might look better in truecolor software once that makes its way into ZDoom (because smoother lighting).
Will NOT work correctly in GZDoom due to the fact that player's cameratexture in GZDoom won't render the gun.
Will NOT work correctly with screenblocks<11 because idk how should the texture be projected.
Sorries if this has been done before. (by wadaholic maybe? I don't know if he uses this method or something else.)
CVars zbloom_radius, zbloom_distance and zbloom_power can be used. Radius is the total count of "circles", distance is the distance between bloom circles, power is base alpha for the bloom layers (this also heavily depends on "radius") 0 to 1000.

Last edited by ZZYZX on Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Velaron

Re: Minimod: ZDoom software bloom

Post by Velaron »

I don't see any sense in this, but still that's a nice job.
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

Sense? What sense. It looks nice. Sometimes.
Velaron

Post by Velaron »

ZZYZX wrote:Sense? What sense. It looks nice. Sometimes.
The keyword.
RaveYard

Post by RaveYard »

ZZYZX wrote:Sorries if this has been done before. (by wadaholic maybe? I don't know if he uses this method or something else.)
Apology accepted. :wink:

But jokes aside: Wad'a'holic did come up with something like this, but he uses it for motion blur. I actually took his idea to do the same thing you did, but I had no use for it. Instead I made my own motion blur. :D

However, does it really matter who came up with this?
I won't be surprised if there is 20+ years old article that describes something like this.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

The level of brightness reminds me of the ray of heaven's light that purges every sin from my soul when I unlock my phone in the middle of the night. Nice bloom, though. Could be used in wads with dream elements in them.
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

RaveYard wrote:But jokes aside: Wad'a'holic did come up with something like this, but he uses it for motion blur. I actually took his idea to do the same thing you did, but I had no use for it. Instead I made my own motion blur. :D
I thought wadaholic was using OpenGL-only method of multiple cameratextures on the floor to simulate roll changes too. idk.
This also wouldn't work on ANY map because it requires the level to have the required floors.
Last edited by ZZYZX on Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RaveYard

Post by RaveYard »

ZZYZX wrote: I thought wadaholic was using OpenGL-only method of multiple cameratextures on the floor to simulate roll changes too. idk.
Well, yes (if I remember correctly). I am not sure if he is using it now, since there is actual roll in GZDoom.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”