Project Einherjar - Final-FINAL Release

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
ImpieTwo

Re: Project Einherjar (beta release)

Post by ImpieTwo »

skyrish10 wrote: I did notice in the first build, there were supposed to be have real life weapons such as Benelli M4, Winchester repeater and Steyr MA1 before you changed it when you started working on Project Einherjar
Yeah, the older version of Midgard wasn't nearly as fleshed out, so I didn't even have my own gun designs. This version naively assumed that everything postnuclear society would use tech salvaged from the old world, which really isn't dependable: sooner or later people gotta be able to produce their own goods. Even Day of the Triffids acknowledged it.

As for Lan, I have been thinking about making her the protagonist in a short story, and writing out the story in the second game.

EDIT: Added a boss to E3M2 in the lastest build.

Rozy

Post by Rozy »

So I recently played through the first two episodes, and given how much I enjoyed them I suppose I feel I should comment a bit on how I felt about the whole experience? Or something.

I don't usually come from playing doom wads and feel like I played something entirely different, yet familiar to doom anyway. But this really does give me that sorta nostalgic feeling while also being totally new, I think Enjay a few posts ago equated it a bit to the various wolfendoom sets and I gotta really say, that's the exact feeling I seem to be getting. A lot comes together and it makes me genuinely curious about the world I'm playing in. Ill freely admit to having just jumped into the first episode with no reading up until things began to actually grow on me, then I broke out the manual PDF and read the intro to the episode. I'm probally gonna go read the third episodes story now actually.

The weapons also feel pretty damn good even if the spritework on them is a bit inconsistent right now. But given this is beta I suppose that's on the list somewhere, for the rifle at least I'm sure there's some rifles out there that could be hacked up into the odd BAR knockoff the pickup sprite appears to be. I also can't help but feel I'm too much of a pray and sprayer because in both this and your set Strange Aeons I kept feeling like I was on an ammo crunch! At least for non shotgun weapons. Though there was a few times in episode 2 I nearly ran out of shotgun shells too. I suspect this is less a map thing and more a personal "Hit what you're aiming at for fucks sake!" problem.

I guess on any criticisms/suggestions, I enjoyed using the much stronger knife and the ballistic knife, but both being separate weapons made things feel really clunky if I needed speed on occasion. Would it be a good idea to merge them into a single knife and use an altfire for the blade launch? It might be a little odd since it's so far the only weapon that would have an altfire but it's also the only weapon with retrievable ammo so... Maybe not that weird.

Second, I know there was some complaints about voices early in the topic, but that's not exactly what I'm questioning here. I personally think they seem to fit fine for the most part, though some of the sillier lines seem to clash with the more overall serious tone of the mod, but the one thing that seriously stood out was the Vampire docs had exactly one sound for when you kill them. Considering they tend to be in groups and die quickly it means occasionally getting a chorus of "OW OW OW OW OW OW" which is very strange.

I also can't help but feel the default huge brown rocket looks very weird coming out of the various sources for it, maybe something smaller and more grenade like would look better.

I also found one minor texture bug. On map12 there's a fence with no backside to it. So far that's the only weird thing I ran into.

Anyway I think I'm gonna give episode 3 a try, good luck with the mod(s) and your writing! I will say, it's kinda inspiring me to really try picking my own stuff back up instead of giving up on it.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

lol dammit, I never noticed that fence was one-sided. I feel silly now.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I hope the mod and its backstories inspire you to check the book out sometime.

I agree the docs need more sound variety, but unfortunately the voice set i used for them was pretty limited. Hopefully I'll be able to rectify that in the future. As for the knife weapons, my original plan was for a universal "combo kick" as an alt weapon regardless of which gun you had out, but I couldn't get it to work right, so I had to scrap it.

Thanks again, and hope you like episode 3! I'm toying with a fourth episode this year, but who knows if or when it'll come out. I'd also love to get an "ultimate challenge" community episode in there at some point.

And do get back into writing if you can. Glad I could inspire you.
Rozy

Post by Rozy »

Well I did in fact quite enjoy episode 3, I finished it up last night actually. Though in the process I noticed that uh, I think your version on your page is still 4.1.4 as I didn't run into that new boss you mentioned just a few posts above.

Speaking of I think this was the episode that made me start picking things out here and there that struck me as a bit strange. Like I was never quite sure what the fratboys were supposed to be, and why they were wandering around with some kinda laser tazer gun but them being sprinkled through episode 3 had me seriously wondering just what they were doing here, considering this isn't Midgard anymore. ... Not that I really can say I understand what they do in the first place. Plus the ones on the train were a liiitle confusing, since they were out in hard UV unprotected.

I also couldn't help but feel it looked a bit silly that Baron Frostgard apparently posed for his bust in that armor vest he fights you in. Wouldn't it make a bit more sense for him to be in uniform for it?

But those were minor things really, otherwise I had a lot of fun in episode 3. Looking forward to further updates or in fact any other mods you put out, I gotta say I do enjoy your mapping style quite a bit.
Spoiler: Actual spoilers
skyrish10
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7

Post by skyrish10 »

Rozy wrote:Well I did in fact quite enjoy episode 3, I finished it up last night actually. Though in the process I noticed that uh, I think your version on your page is still 4.1.4 as I didn't run into that new boss you mentioned just a few posts above.
It's Mediafire acting up again, every time if you want to replace the old with the new, it doesn't for whatever reason. It just leaves the old one there instead, hence why everyone's getting the old version still.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

skyrish10 wrote:
Rozy wrote:Well I did in fact quite enjoy episode 3, I finished it up last night actually. Though in the process I noticed that uh, I think your version on your page is still 4.1.4 as I didn't run into that new boss you mentioned just a few posts above.
It's Mediafire acting up again, every time if you want to replace the old with the new, it doesn't for whatever reason. It just leaves the old one there instead, hence why everyone's getting the old version still.
I haven't been replacing since I first found out about that issue, so maybe I pasted the wrong hotlink on the download page. There's another new version out with some new decorations and a couple more death sounds for the vampire docs.

The fratboys in Jotunheim presumably came over from Midgard with Bowie and the Stepchildren. May as well bring along some slave labor for the heavy lifting so the troops can do more drinking, m i rite? Being slaves it makes a little sense that they might be sent out unprotected, but I might should probably make a variant with an outland mask like i did for the Thane miniboss.

That's also a really good point about Frostgard's bust. EDIT: I redid it, and it looks pretty awesome, so thanks for pointing this out.

Maybe I could find a way to throw in a drone or two if I find the sprites for it, though the einherjar were intended to be much more advanced.
Attachments
frostgard bust redesign
frostgard bust redesign
bardbust3.png (3.44 KiB) Viewed 871 times
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

4.2.7 update!

- Gun graphics more consistent. Pistol is black, rifle better resembles its sprite. Super Secret Cheat Code Weapon changed from uzi to minigun.
- Thane enemy sprites altered to resemble Frostgard a bit less in the facial region.
- Frostgard's statue redesigned so he's depicted in uniform, which makes more sense.
- Ammo hud icons for pistol and rifle changed appropriately.
- new graphics for the gauss cannon projectile trail
- A few other things I probably forgot while typing this.

EDIT: Crap, and just realized i double-posted...

EDIT2: The Thane miniboss had a big graphical error I overlooked somehow. Uploading the fixed version within the next half hour.
Rozy

Post by Rozy »

A quick check of the latest version showed a slight new bug. Somehow a few frames for the Jotun Thane have gained blue backrounds. The pain frame and one of the death frames in particular.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Rozy wrote:A quick check of the latest version showed a slight new bug. Somehow a few frames for the Jotun Thane have gained blue backrounds. The pain frame and one of the death frames in particular.
It was the pain frame, two death frames, and a graphical error on one of the firing frames as well, last I checked. It should all have been fixed in the most recent version.
Rozy

Post by Rozy »

Yeah, your edit didn't show when I was posting that for some reason. Still weird bug though. I ended up fixing it for my version before I realized you already got it.
skyrish10

Post by skyrish10 »

Rozy wrote:Yeah, your edit didn't show when I was posting that for some reason.
That's because Mediafire had refused to replace the old one with the new one, that's why
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

skyrish10 wrote:
Rozy wrote:Yeah, your edit didn't show when I was posting that for some reason.
That's because Mediafire had refused to replace the old one with the new one, that's why
Again, I'm no longer replacing the files, I'm uploading brand new ones each time. Probably I forgot to change the url for that particular update, so Rozy got an older version.
Rozy

Post by Rozy »

Haha, I meant I didn't see the edit where you said you were gonna fix it. I must of either somehow got a cached version of this page because my browser is dumb sometimes or maybe I just left this page open and forgot to refresh before I reported. My mistake entirely there.

By the way have you considered moving from mediafire? It likes to redirect to full page questionable ads lately and that's not nice.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Yeeeah, I'd like to move to another host in the near future...since Mediafire's been crapping the bed too often... but I have a lot of crap I'd have to transfer.

I was considering Mega, since they give a lot of storage space.
skyrish10

Post by skyrish10 »

ImpieTwo wrote: I was considering Mega, since they give a lot of storage space.
Though for Mega, the download might sometimes abruptly stop due to quota limit, logging in may be increased the quota limit

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”