Project Einherjar - Final-FINAL Release

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
ImpieTwo

Re: Project Einherjar (beta release)

Post by ImpieTwo »

Dammit, I forgot to fix that one. I'll upload an update asap.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Thanks! It took me a few tries, but noclipping through the shelf did the trick.

Anyway, I suggest you make it so inventory items do not count as items in the map stats, as they cannot be picked once you reach maximum capacity and thus prevent you from reaching 100%.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote: Anyway, I suggest you make it so inventory items do not count as items in the map stats, as they cannot be picked once you reach maximum capacity and thus prevent you from reaching 100%.
The only item that'd really be a problem with is the medical backpack, but I think people who are determined to get 100% items could figure that one out. The rest of the excess items can just be used to clear space, since by default you lose all but one of each item between levels a la heretic.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

You could always delete the +COUNTITEM flag in the DECORATE files.

Anyway, is there a way to increase the Spring Mine's detection radius? In their current state, they feel rather useless. I tried placing them in chokepoints like doors, but enemies seem to be able to pass right next to them - and sometimes through them, it seems - without triggering them.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

I discussed the mine radius with another member, either here or on doomworld (i think). As far as i can tell it detects enemies through walls, so if i increase the trigger radius it'll self-destruct even if there's a door between it and the target. I think more than once I've placed a mine just outside a door with an enemy directly on the other side, and it went off immediately. I'm not really sure how i'd increase the radius to begin with, but i could give the code another look.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

In the past I got a couple comments regarding the music in the mod. Since I updated the wiki page to include the music listings, I decided to also throw together a couple music packages: a collection of all the midis used in the mod, and another collection of remastered tracks courtesy of a few conversion sites around the 'net. The remastered tracks helped inspire me while i was building and polishing the maps.
SoundOfDarkness

Post by SoundOfDarkness »

I think I will exchange the original midis in your TC with the remastered versions, where possible. Unfortunately not all are available in a remastered version.

Edit:
For some reason it's not working. :?
Yes, I renamed the files correctly and in the title menu and first map everything works fine, but once I start the second map there is no music at all.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

I would have to see your wad file before i could help.

I did remaster every track, but not all of them were listenable after conversion unfortunately. Otherwise I'd be down for a remastered soundtrack peripheral.

Also, Soccerer started a cool playlist of the mod!
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Some random things I've noticed that I probably should've commented on sooner:

- Juno has no crouch spriteset, and when she does the ZDoom's default player sprite is used in place, instead. This is visible in both chasecam and mirrors. The sudden sprite swap can be a bit jarring, to say the least.
- Juno pretty much uses stock quake 2 female sounds. They feel a bit out of place considering Doomguy's sounds are a lot more subtle. They're also a bit annoying when dropping from rather small heights.
- Considering one of your recent reports about dark sectors, maybe it's worth adding a "lightmode 3" to your defaultmap {} block in MAPINFO so that the map plays the way it is intended, light-wise?
- As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, Juno's hands in first person view are quite ... er, big.
- Is Juno left-handed or right-handed? There's some inconsistency with how she holds her guns.
- I notice a lot of human enemies exist in monster closets. While fitting for Doom gameplay (perhaps we can assume zombies/demons never get bored and never need to breathe) - it definitely stands out quite a bit in a game like this with more realistic enemies. Perhaps robotic substitutions should be done for monster closet dwellers? (An idea: Make robots for each of the different non-boss/non-mutant enemy types! ^_^)
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Rachael wrote:Some random things I've noticed that I probably should've commented on sooner:
- I notice a lot of human enemies exist in monster closets. While fitting for Doom gameplay (perhaps we can assume zombies/demons never get bored and never need to breathe) - it definitely stands out quite a bit in a game like this with more realistic enemies. Perhaps robotic substitutions should be done for monster closet dwellers? (An idea: Make robots for each of the different non-boss/non-mutant enemy types! ^_^)
Usually I'd put human enemies in closets if it seemed reasonable that they would have set up the ambush just before she got there (i.e. in alcoves behind crates). Or else I put false dooes to make it seem like they could have reached it from another part of the base.

I'd give her a crouch sprite if I knew there was one of that body sprite, but as far as I know there isn't...

Where do I put lightmode 3 to make it work?

Also, where's the gun-holding inconsistency? She should be holding everything in her right hand.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

You can put lightmode right inside the map definition for each map, i.e.

Code: Select all

map map01 "Checkpoint Charlize"
{
	levelnum = 1
	next = "map02"
	sky1 = "RSKY1"
	cluster = 1
	par = 30
	music = "BGMCHAR"
	lightmode = 3
}
.... or if you don't want to modify every single map, you can also create a new defaultmap block (but it must be placed before *all* maps) -

Code: Select all

defaultmap
{
	lightmode = 3
}

map map01 "Checkpoint Charlize"
{
	levelnum = 1
	next = "map02"
	sky1 = "RSKY1"
	cluster = 1
	par = 30
	music = "BGMCHAR"
}
// .. etc
Maybe I was wrong about the handed-ness consistency - I am not sure. But the weapons that stuck out, for me, were the two shotguns.

You can use ZDoom's crouch sprites as a base. You'll have to trim a bit off the sides and expand the bosom to make it more feminine, and replace the head, and probably slim the arms and legs down a bit, but it could be done. I may attempt this, myself, when I get some time. I don't expect this to be easy - but then again, you managed to pull off Juno, herself, which is impressive. ;)
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Well, her body is based on a WildWeasel body, and I don't think it had crouch sprites. I can check again just in case.

I'll definitely do the second option with light mode 3.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

FINALLY got it to work, so now Juno has a nifty alt attack for close quarters. It's not as awesome as the one Marty Kirra loaned me a year ago, but it gets the job done.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

She's really kicking some butt! :)

Nice work!
skyrish10
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7

Post by skyrish10 »

So, She now has a kick attack that was attempt to that in the early versions

Also, I think you might change Juno's voices with this one (the Quake III Arena ones are getting overused anyway): https://www.sounds-resource.com/playsta ... und/10836/

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”