[3DGE] Marathon 2 gameplay mod UPDATED

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[3DGE] Marathon 2 gameplay mod UPDATED

Postby CeeJay » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:15 pm

An old mod of mine that came to life sometime back in 2010. 'twas a interesting year in my life going through a tragic loss (two of 'em, actually), modding kept me occupied and prevented my brain from slipping into a coma. A lot of mods and half-baked ideas sprung into existence around that year. I recently dug this turkey up and spent some time polishing and improving upon it, on and off between 2015 and 2016, to make it presentable and bringing it to working order. So what is it? No big deal really, just a Marathon 2 weapons/gameplay mod. But it's quite fun, especially that M2 shotgun.

Screenshots:
Spoiler:


Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/v4xmi ... ARDOOM.WAD

Credits:
Bungie, Inc.
id Software
Paranoid Productions (Damage Incorporated)
Ian McConville (Marathon: RED)
The EVIL Group (Marathon: Evil)
Last edited by CeeJay on Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CeeJay
 
Joined: 14 Mar 2010

Re: [3DGE] Marathon 2 gameplay mod

Postby -Ghost- » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:05 pm

Nice work, the Marathon weapons are always fun to play with.
User avatar
-Ghost-
 
Joined: 08 Sep 2010

Re: [3DGE] Marathon 2 gameplay mod

Postby CeeJay » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:01 am

Alrighty, I believe it's presentable now.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/v4xmi ... ARDOOM.WAD

Some things to note:

1) IT'S FOR (HYPER) 3DGE
2) Unlike Marathon, the scope on the pistol can be used (zoom)
3) The Missile Launcher is not widescreen-friendly, kinda hoping someone could help me with that
4) The Alien Weapon is cheat-only
5) Dual wielding is a little wonky in comparision to the Marathon games (it's technically still one single weapon)
6) IT'S FOR (HYPER) 3DGE

Enjoy!
CeeJay
 
Joined: 14 Mar 2010

Re: [3DGE] Marathon 2 gameplay mod RELEASED

Postby chronoteeth » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:30 am

how'd you create the actual kickback in edge? Im looking at the RTS script and it seems really simple but I just cant wrap my head around it

Also is it applicable but to move forward instead of backwards?
User avatar
chronoteeth
abubub
 
Joined: 08 Sep 2004

Re: [3DGE] Marathon 2 gameplay mod RELEASED

Postby CeeJay » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:56 am

When called for the RTS script makes the player enter one of the following states in THINGS.DDF:

STATES(KICKBACK1)=PLAY:A:0:NORMAL:MOVE_FWD(-1);
STATES(KICKBACK2)=PLAY:A:0:NORMAL:MOVE_FWD(-2);
STATES(KICKBACK3)=PLAY:A:0:NORMAL:STOP,
PLAY:A:0:NORMAL:MOVE_FWD(-4);

Where MOVE_FWD is pretty self-explanatory (positive forward and negative backwards).
Last edited by CeeJay on Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
CeeJay
 
Joined: 14 Mar 2010

Re: [3DGE] Marathon 2 gameplay mod RELEASED

Postby chronoteeth » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:59 am

ah the actual kickback i get, its the RTS thats still getting me

i wonder if its possible to have it directional based. hold a button and sorta dash in that direction with a button press, but theres no move_left or right yet

either way good mod!!! very accurate
User avatar
chronoteeth
abubub
 
Joined: 08 Sep 2004

Re: [3DGE] Marathon 2 gameplay mod RELEASED

Postby CeeJay » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:00 am

RTS command: THING_EVENT OUR_HERO KICKBACK1 (calls for a state labeled KICKBACK1 belonging to OUR_HERO in THINGS.DDF)
CeeJay
 
Joined: 14 Mar 2010

Re: [3DGE] Marathon 2 gameplay mod UPDATED

Postby CeeJay » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:37 pm

Updated!

New item replacements
Hitscan weapons now technically shoot projectiles
Lots of weapon tweaks
Menu sounds

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/v4xmi ... ARDOOM.WAD
CeeJay
 
Joined: 14 Mar 2010

Re: [3DGE] Marathon 2 gameplay mod UPDATED

Postby TheLightBad96 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:36 pm

I am loving the mod so far and being a fan of the marathon games it is nice seeing a gameplay mod that lets you use Marathon 2's weapons but i do have a couple of questions first.

I noticed that you have also listed a couple of Marathon 2 Mods/TCs in the description ( Marathon RED and EVIL) so are you planning on adding some of the weapons from those TC's into the mod ?

The KKV-7 Flechette Gun is not in the mod, is this planned for a later release?

And eventually will there be an extra patch which has the enemies from Marathon 2/Infinity?
User avatar
TheLightBad96
 
Joined: 08 May 2012
Location: Jonathan Crimson pleased to make your acquaintance.
Discord: Light/Crimson#4097

Re: [3DGE] Marathon 2 gameplay mod UPDATED

Postby General Tacticus » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:44 pm

As a massive marathon nut, I always enjoy seeing a good marathon mod. Sadly I'm not on a computer that can run 3dge at the moment, so heres my thoughts based on the screenshots and the wad file:

Good idea to use the Marathon: Red armor sprites, I wouldn't have thought of that.

-The shotgun firing animation (like all animations) assumes the gun jumps up the screen when fired(it was a feature of marathon's hud system), so the frame where the shotgun dips down before reloading looks out of place without that effect. It is a good idea to remember that for all of the weapons.

-Is there a reason you used different sprites for the smoke and blood? Just curious, I don't know anything about 3dge modding.

-spnkr goes on the other side of the screen, unless you are correcting for handedness. (I could see it going either way) Also, should be way further to the side.

Aside from that, this is looking pretty slick. Keep up the good work, I can see this being good for building maps around. Cheers!
User avatar
General Tacticus
 
Joined: 01 Jun 2016

Re: [3DGE] Marathon 2 gameplay mod UPDATED

Postby CeeJay » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:05 pm

The Thing Thing wrote:I noticed that you have also listed a couple of Marathon 2 Mods/TCs in the description ( Marathon RED and EVIL) so are you planning on adding some of the weapons from those TC's into the mod ?

There is already resources from those used in the mod. Gatling gun, clip and armour sprites, etc.

The Thing Thing wrote:The KKV-7 Flechette Gun is not in the mod, is this planned for a later release?

It wasn't introduced until the third game and to be honest I was never a fan of it. Neither the design or its functionality.

The Thing Thing wrote:And eventually will there be an extra patch which has the enemies from Marathon 2/Infinity?

Not at this time.


General Tacticus wrote:-The shotgun firing animation (like all animations) assumes the gun jumps up the screen when fired(it was a feature of marathon's hud system), so the frame where the shotgun dips down before reloading looks out of place without that effect. It is a good idea to remember that for all of the weapons.

I was thinking of that, but I have no idea what the offsets would be. We'll see.

General Tacticus wrote:-Is there a reason you used different sprites for the smoke and blood? Just curious, I don't know anything about 3dge modding.

In some cases I had to use different resources to get around clipping issues, in other cases it was just some creative liberty.

General Tacticus wrote:-spnkr goes on the other side of the screen, unless you are correcting for handedness. (I could see it going either way) Also, should be way further to the side.

Yeah, always looked wrong to me so I switched it around since all others guns are right handed.
CeeJay
 
Joined: 14 Mar 2010

Re: [3DGE] Marathon 2 gameplay mod UPDATED

Postby SiFi270 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:20 am

If you're planning on changing the sprites for every pickup item, then might I suggest borrowing a few from Marathon's predecessor, Pathways Into Darkness? Its blue potion, for example, could replace the health bonus, like how id based the original health bonus sprites on the healing potions in their Catacomb series. Additionally, I think the alien weapon's superior range and alt-fire would make it a better BFG substitute than the flamethrower, which could maybe randomly appear where the player would normally find a fusion pistol. I don't know, maybe the lack of ammo pickups for the alien weapon would complicate that, but I still felt it was worth suggesting.
User avatar
SiFi270
 
Joined: 10 Feb 2015
Location: Does anyone put a serious answer here?

Re: [3DGE] Marathon 2 gameplay mod UPDATED

Postby CeeJay » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:28 am

SiFi270 wrote:If you're planning on changing the sprites for every pickup item, then might I suggest borrowing a few from Marathon's predecessor, Pathways Into Darkness? Its blue potion, for example, could replace the health bonus, like how id based the original health bonus sprites on the healing potions in their Catacomb series.

I believe the art style of Pathways Into Darkness is drastically different, but I'll look into it.

SiFi270 wrote:Additionally, I think the alien weapon's superior range and alt-fire would make it a better BFG substitute than the flamethrower, which could maybe randomly appear where the player would normally find a fusion pistol. I don't know, maybe the lack of ammo pickups for the alien weapon would complicate that, but I still felt it was worth suggesting.

Originally the Alien Weapon WAS a BFG replacement, but it just didn't seem right. I could have it occasionally spawn in the place of the Fusion Pistol but this would present a few problems. Maybe have it replace one of the power ups.

EDIT: Technically the Flamethrower is far more powerful than either the Fusion Pistol or Alien Weapon.
CeeJay
 
Joined: 14 Mar 2010

Re: [3DGE] Marathon 2 gameplay mod UPDATED

Postby General Tacticus » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:30 pm

A good source for alternate pickup sprites would be the Marathon 1 shapefile. It has several things that were never used, in a addition to the multiple Biobus Power-up chips.

items->bitmap 19 would make a good armor shard, for example.
The marathon 2 alpha version also had an alternate health canister sprite set.

Here, for convenience:

Untitled-1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
General Tacticus
 
Joined: 01 Jun 2016

Re: [3DGE] Marathon 2 gameplay mod UPDATED

Postby CeeJay » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:05 am

I think a few of those may be of use. Thanks for the tip and link.
CeeJay
 
Joined: 14 Mar 2010


Return to Gameplay Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apb_axel, Carrotear, Cyber_Man_Doomer, -Ghost-, Karnasis and 13 guests