Shadow Of The Wool Ball :3 (v1.3 Released!)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Naniyue

Re: Shadow Of The Wool Ball :3

Post by Naniyue »

This really looks fresh and original. Looking forward to it!
MSPaintR0cks

Re: Shadow Of The Wool Ball :3 (v1.1 Released!)

Post by MSPaintR0cks »

Thanks!! :3:
Just wanted to let you guys know that the game is released now.
Oh god, I hope no new bugs have crept in while me and the testers got rid of the old ones. D:
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Finally, prepare some addtional feedbacks later, sir! :D
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

I'm playing through the first episode right now and I have to say I'm really pleased with the weapons thus far, the levels are mazelike but so far all have been compact enough that it never feels like a chore, smashing through cracked walls is amusing, and the presentation you got going on here is great.

You keep this up, I'm loving it.
Murix

Post by Murix »

Holy bloody shit this is so much better than I thought it could be.

The cut scenes, the TV transmissions, the Intro, holy shit. This is absolutely one, if not my favorite Doom mod.

Not to mention the SOUNDS are so ****ing good. I LOVE all the voice acting that's been done for the cats, I had no idea how refreshing that would be from the normal grunts of doom monsters.
Last edited by Murix on Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Just started playing - the intro is brilliant already, very well executed :D I also like the type of gameplay where you click a switch and then have to flee, where the markers on the ground are helping a lot.

A few things that I found or could be improved
  • I already found a bug though at the first map @X815/Y-908, when trying to open the door it says "Unknown Script 6".
  • Also the zip is missing a regular txt file.
  • I don't think it's very intuitive to shoot your hedgehog camerades when you want to free them. I'd suggest "using" them instead (flag +USESPECIAL) btw, what is it worth generally freeing them?
  • The cat mage's woolball projectile still uses a doom sound as death sound, maybe you choose something original here as well? (I mean, this can be a standalone game after all)
  • Monsters aren't able to open doors, intentional?
  • I know you are aiming for a classic look of your mod but I think using real sky openings instead of textures would improve the mod (especially the space maps) without ruining the 90's-esque-Apogee-feel
  • When travelling back in C2M3 after hitting the countdown switch, the blocks don't "swooosh" anymore when passing by them. Maybe some lines need to be repeatable here.

Things that I found amazing
  • The 90's style is perfectly catched. I am currently playing it and it feels like a blast from the past, the music, the screen transmissions, "freeing your girlfriend" - it's all so simple and clean :)
  • The wind vents are pretty cool, especially in C2M3, very good idea towards that.
  • The "Prince-of-Persia"-style cutters, oh my god :) They scared the shit out of me!
Currently @ E3M1, more to come :)
MSPaintR0cks

Post by MSPaintR0cks »

Wow, thanks so much for those awesome comments, Combine and Murix! :3:

Aw crap, there still is a door bug... good thing it doesn`t do anything. xD Gonna fix that.

@Tormentor
Thx, gonna look into a few things you mentioned. :D
The prisoners drop ammo for the secret weapon you can find during the levels.
About those windows. I know I could have used real skies, but I always found those fake landscapes in Wolfenstein 3D so oddly charming. There was something fascinating about how those old engines tried to render full worlds in the distance by using so simple and fake-y approaches. :D
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

I've sent you some of my feedbacks, hope they are informational!
jeans477

Post by jeans477 »

Just beat the first level great job on this, loving the wolf 3-D references. The sprite work is fantastic as well, great mod.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Amazing work man, i've just tried this mod and it's a blast! I love how it's more wolf-like than doom, but at the same time the gameplay and gunplay is really smooth, not to mention all the custom sprites and textures.
Keep up the good work, i can't wait for future releases
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Finally finished it - this is definitely the best mod for Doom that I have played for ages when it comes to retro-feeling. I am loving it ans please please give us a sequel :)
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

It is a shame original total conversions like this one cannot be sold commercially. I would not mind paying a few dollars for it!
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:It is a shame original total conversions like this one cannot be sold commercially. I would not mind paying a few dollars for it!
But they can! They just can't use the software renderer (gotta use GZDoom-GPL)

Also, I'm getting missing textures for some reason
EDIT: Looks fine in GZDoom, just seems to happen in the software renderer
MSPaintR0cks

Post by MSPaintR0cks »

@Zombie Killer
That only happens in the newest alpha builds of Zdoom. Something with the Skybox Viewpoint is messed up in general in that version.
It works fine in version 2.8.1, the last official one. :D

Made a little note at the first post of the thread because of that.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

I just watched the intro and only just began playing the game itself, and I already absolutely love it. I see a tiny bit of room for possible touch-ups here and there, such as perhaps making enemy movement a bit smoother like in Wolfenstein 3D, nametags for when cycling the guns, perhaps a full set of player sprites for multiplayer games?

This project is simply beautiful, and it deserves so much love.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”