DUMP Episode 3: BFG Edition [map + weapons released]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: DUMP Episode 3: BFG Edition [Community Pack Recruitment]

Postby Melodica » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:11 pm

I would have made a map, but my gzdb is shitting itself so I just made a gun.

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mt2v4tpcao86n ... n.wad?dl=0
Name: DualCannon
Credits:
Spoiler:

Tier: RocketLauncher

Two cannon pistols, one for each hand. main fire will fire the left gun, wich fires a relatively fast cannonball that is affected by gravity and it rips and tears trough enemies. alt fire will fire the right gun, this one fires a kinda slower cannonball that flashes red and also rips trough enemies, just that when this cannonball hits a wall or flat, it will stick to it and explode 1 second after.
Melodica

Postby KarolineDianne » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:21 pm

StatisticalHourglass wrote:... for example the entrance to the castle with the keys could use a couple revenants to keep players on their toes, same with the red key battle, knights in a rectangle room don't make for a very interesting fight, you could throw some demons or maybe make those pillars actually serve a gameplay purpose...

I'mma be honest, I hate Revenants. I'd rather not put them in my maps ever. The only things more annoying than Revenants are Archviles.

Aside from that, yeah I suppose I need to throw more stuff in, I just don't really 'get' how to set up proper encounters. This map is admittedly more just a tour through spooktown with enemies thrown in for the sake of it.
KarolineDianne
The Squid Princess

Postby Yholl » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:58 pm

KarolineDianne wrote:Aside from that, yeah I suppose I need to throw more stuff in, I just don't really 'get' how to set up proper encounters. This map is admittedly more just a tour through spooktown with enemies thrown in for the sake of it.
Yeah, there definitely needs to be more ammo. The Hell Knight fight, if you did not find the rocket launcher secret, appears to be almost impossible. I ran completely out of ammo before I even killed half of them.

The map is certainly looking good so far, though. I veeerry much like the area transitions, they are really cool. I look forward to seeing the finished version.
Yholl
I will hit you with my Decorate.

Postby StatisticalHourglass » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:52 pm

KarolineDianne wrote:
StatisticalHourglass wrote:... for example the entrance to the castle with the keys could use a couple revenants to keep players on their toes, same with the red key battle, knights in a rectangle room don't make for a very interesting fight, you could throw some demons or maybe make those pillars actually serve a gameplay purpose...

I'mma be honest, I hate Revenants. I'd rather not put them in my maps ever. The only things more annoying than Revenants are Archviles.

Aside from that, yeah I suppose I need to throw more stuff in, I just don't really 'get' how to set up proper encounters. This map is admittedly more just a tour through spooktown with enemies thrown in for the sake of it.

What I generally do is think of how hard I want a particular encounter to be and then design the enviroment to give advantages to either the enemies or the player, and then introduce the enemies that would use those advantages, like a mancubus in a small room, for a ridiculous example. but it is generally better to have different enemies at the same time, for more varied fights, so you have to think about the hellknights while pain elementals fill the air with lost souls, or demons cornering you while chaingunners shoot you from a vantage point.
StatisticalHourglass

Postby KarolineDianne » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:04 pm

StatisticalHourglass wrote:What I generally do is think of how hard I want a particular encounter to be and then design the enviroment to give advantages to either the enemies or the player, and then introduce the enemies that would use those advantages, like a mancubus in a small room, for a ridiculous example. but it is generally better to have different enemies at the same time, for more varied fights, so you have to think about the hellknights while pain elementals fill the air with lost souls, or demons cornering you while chaingunners shoot you from a vantage point.

I'll see what I can do. I WILL mention that I did alter that specific encounter based on difficulty. I'm Too Young To Die has all imps show up, while Not Too Rough spawns 4 imps and 2 knights. I'll tinker about with other spawns and such. And I'll definitely work on giving more ammo.
KarolineDianne
The Squid Princess

Postby President People » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:10 am

StatisticalHourglass wrote:jeez that's so useful and extremely cool! the energy requirement may be a little much for a defensive only device, but I haven't tested it much.
graphics, animation and sound all blend together really well too.

Thanks! The initial cost probably is a bit too steep, might bump it down to about 25-30 cells.

One thing I forgot to mention about the alt-fire is that it stops the countdown timer. I may take this further and even have it reverse the timer, but by how much I'm not sure. 1 cell to buy just two extra tics of shield time seems a little silly. At least 5-per-frame/10-per-cell, maybe even a full second.
President People
Bigger Guns Nearby

Postby Combine_Kegan » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:41 am

Image Image
Weapn: Tesla Rifle
Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t90lkabcqq4hx ... e.pk3?dl=0
Name: TeslaRifle
Credits: Heretic, Battlefield 2142, the Electro gun and Action machine gun from Realm667, WildWeasel, MK2 and 3, additional credits located inside
Tier: Shotgun

So, here's my first submission to DUMP 3, a wind up lightning shotgun with three different firing modes and a limitless supply of ammunition as long as you keep it charged.
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy

Postby Zero X. Diamond » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:08 am

Man, I just have one question, and this probably has no good answer: how do people map so fast? I entered into this a bit late because I only learned about it a few days ago and... I mean, let me be frank: I've never finished a map. And when I work on them, it just takes me forever. Does anyone have any tips for speeding up the process?
Zero X. Diamond
Now get your ass out there and save the world!

Postby Kinsie » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:38 am

Zero X. Diamond wrote:Man, I just have one question, and this probably has no good answer: how do people map so fast? I entered into this a bit late because I only learned about it a few days ago and... I mean, let me be frank: I've never finished a map. And when I work on them, it just takes me forever. Does anyone have any tips for speeding up the process?
Aim low.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby Sgt. Shivers » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:03 am

Zero X. Diamond wrote:Man, I just have one question, and this probably has no good answer: how do people map so fast? I entered into this a bit late because I only learned about it a few days ago and... I mean, let me be frank: I've never finished a map. And when I work on them, it just takes me forever. Does anyone have any tips for speeding up the process?

I like to write down a psuedo walkthrough sorta thing and map based on that.
Sgt. Shivers

Discord: Sgt. Shivers #4769

Postby TerminusEst13 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:16 am

I've found a lot of delays are just staring at the screen, wondering what to do next.
So you just slap random shapes and then start connecting them together.
TerminusEst13
I'm just a guy.

Twitch ID: TerminusEst13

Postby Wiw » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:20 am

Sorry, I've just been wasting time... it'll be a miracle if I can get mine out when it's due. This is what happens when you have no self-discipline! If I fail... would I be able to put it in the next DUMP?
Wiw
Frequently puts foot in mouth

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby willykuo123 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:16 am

willykuo123 wrote:Haven't do a map for like 9 years, it took me a while to re-learn how to use Doom builder 2 .
Anyway, here is my tiny map, enjoy.

- Download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Cw1576WEM3Q3JTV2JNZzVwSkk/view
- Name: Simple Chaos
- Credits: - Music : Made by Sidewinder from modarchive.org/
-Texture : Original Doom2 textures
I'm sure I can still improve it though.

Re-uploading my map.
Fixed some floor that can't be lower down.
Updated download link :https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5Cw1576WEM3andWMFkzcmZ0NzA
Enjoy
willykuo123

Postby Hege Cactus » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:39 am

WEPON
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/nwc8v ... weapon.wad
Name: CactusPipe
Credits:
Spoiler:

can also be found in the wad
Tier: Rocket Launcher

this is babbys first weapon that is extremely silly, but I am happy with how it turned out
cause i think it might be fun
Hege Cactus

Postby StatisticalHourglass » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:05 am

finish your layout first, add your keys and switches, add monsters until you're satisfied with the amount of action, add resources until you make it playable, add secrets, add illumination. that's my method at least.

Combine_Kegan wrote:Image Image
Weapn: Tesla Rifle
Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t90lkabcqq4hx ... e.pk3?dl=0
Name: TeslaRifle
Credits: Heretic, Battlefield 2142, the Electro gun and Action machine gun from Realm667, WildWeasel, MK2 and 3, additional credits located inside
Tier: Shotgun

So, here's my first submission to DUMP 3, a wind up lightning shotgun with three different firing modes and a limitless supply of ammunition as long as you keep it charged.

that's an extremely fun and versatile weapon, good job! feels really satisfying like the arc of death.

EDIT:
the cactus weapon: really nice sound effects, fun to use, balanced, overall very nice.
StatisticalHourglass

PreviousNext

Return to Levels