[Rel] Bratwurst - Customizable nazis for Doom

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[Rel] Bratwurst - Customizable nazis for Doom

Postby HorrorMovieGuy » Wed May 18, 2016 9:03 pm

Customizable nazis for Doom

Spoiler:

I find the enemies in Wolfenstein to be incredibly endearing. Their cartoonish style, the comically chibi-looking bosses, the broken german. I just love fighting these guys. But as much as I love Wolfenstein's simplicity, all I wanted to do was to fight some nazis in Doom's awesome maps. But balancing them with Doom's enemy spawns was impossible, mainly because most of them are hitscan enemies, which would make playing any map a nightmare. So I started adding all sorts of customizable options to tweak the nazis attack method, some cosmetic enhancements(like gibbing), and other cool shit you can tweak to fit your playstyle or the playstyle of the mod you're playing.

***this mod requires the latest Zdoom/GZdoom builds***
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/aye7dbjq2 ... rs_V3c.pk3

Patch that adds sprite rotations, made by Melodica:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/bxai4glsj ... ect_V1.pk3

Changelog:
Spoiler:

Some stuff you can expect to see in future versions:
-Option to enable boss rotation sprites(the ones untrustable is making)
-Option to use the Mac Wolfenstein sprites
-A weapon mod to go along with this
Last edited by HorrorMovieGuy on Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 8 times in total.
HorrorMovieGuy
Earth is the melting pot of the universe :^)

Re: [Rel] Bratwurst - Customizable nazis for Doom

Postby GAA1992 » Wed May 18, 2016 9:10 pm

Youtube not working for me (internet problems here). Gonna download, seems pretty interesting. Expect post edits here. ;)
GAA1992
Demons are a disease. Meet the cure.

Postby Miguel371xd » Wed May 18, 2016 9:30 pm

not work in zdoom? :L
Miguel371xd
Half life 3 comfirmed?

Postby HorrorMovieGuy » Wed May 18, 2016 9:56 pm

It requires the latest ZDoom/GZDoom build to work.
HorrorMovieGuy

Postby Miguel371xd » Wed May 18, 2016 10:00 pm

oh im use the 2.8.0 xD thx (nice mod :D)
Miguel371xd
Half life 3 comfirmed?

Postby GAA1992 » Wed May 18, 2016 11:21 pm

Forget the edit. Here's my feedback:

This is awesome. Keep up the good work!

No, being serious now, i like the ww-nazis enemies pattern here. tracers have different speeds and that makes it interesting even to vanilla gameplay. Just some things:

- Hitler's standing sprite on "Eva, aufwidexxxx i don't know german" takes a little more than i expected to take. Maybe reduce some ticks?
- Dr. Schabbs here transformed a dead enemy into a ubermutant(!) Is that intentional?
- Is it me (haven't looked inside) or the enemies are weaker?
- If you plan to replace the WolfensteinSS from doom, you could use the WaffenSS from SoD. Just a little suggestion.
- Hitler wasn't much of a challenge to me. Lets wait for future feedback but i thought he was easy. Maybe my expectations were to fight a ww-nazis one.

That's it for now i think. Excellent job so far! :)
GAA1992
Demons are a disease. Meet the cure.

Postby dljosef » Wed May 18, 2016 11:27 pm

Huh, neat.

Any thoughts on the enemies from Spear Resurrection and End of Destiny?

I also noticed that the SS Guard mucks up compatibility with certain megawads. (Going Down, and Ancient Aliens, since the SS Guard's replaced with a new monster in those megawads.)
dljosef
Brutal Doom? Nope, I don't care.

Postby HorrorMovieGuy » Thu May 19, 2016 7:19 am

GAA1992 wrote:- Hitler's standing sprite on "Eva, aufwidexxxx i don't know german" takes a little more than i expected to take. Maybe reduce some ticks?

That's left over from how Wolfenstein bosses says their dying line before actually playing the death animation, and it seems I forgot to remove it. Oops
GAA1992 wrote:- Dr. Schabbs here transformed a dead enemy into a ubermutant(!) Is that intentional?

Yeah, you can change it in the settings, whether you want to him to revive people like normal or as mutants(or disable reviving altogether). I thought it would be cool to have him reviving people as mutants because his neddles turn BJ into a mutant in Wolfenstein.
GAA1992 wrote:- Is it me (haven't looked inside) or the enemies are weaker?

Wolfenstein enemies are a lot more basic than Doom's, so they feel weaker when put into maps made with Doom enemies in mind. But I think I can remedy this by adding more options for attack customization, like homing projectiles, continuous fire, and etc.
dljosef wrote:Any thoughts on the enemies from Spear Resurrection and End of Destiny?

I might add the some custom enemies in the future, but first I gotta figure out the best, least hacky way to change enemy spawns.
dljosef wrote:I also noticed that the SS Guard mucks up compatibility with certain megawads. (Going Down, and Ancient Aliens, since the SS Guard's replaced with a new monster in those megawads.)

Oh crap, I knew using the same sprite name as Doom's SS guard was a bad idea. But that's easy to fix, so next version it should be working fine.
HorrorMovieGuy

Postby dljosef » Thu May 19, 2016 9:49 am

I also noticed the Angel of Death's new attacks. That makes him far more challenging than he was in his native game. (As a final boss, no less.)

GAA1992 wrote:- Is it me (haven't looked inside) or the enemies are weaker?

The fake hitler ghosts would beg to differ compared to the cacodemons.
dljosef

Postby FaggoStorm » Thu May 19, 2016 12:51 pm

The Angel Of Death replaces what enemies?
FaggoStorm
A faggot that likes the classic Doom.

Postby dljosef » Thu May 19, 2016 1:28 pm

As far as I know, he can be spawned by the icon of sin as the final boss, preventing the Icon from spawning anymore enemies. That, and him dying ends the level. (There's even the option for him to have his extra attacks and fancy death animation.)

And one last thing about the Angel of Death, it is possible to fight him in an IOS map that uses more than one boss spawner, resulting in multiples of the boss...but killing just one of them will end the level. I found that out through a bit of testing.
dljosef

Postby Nevander » Thu May 19, 2016 4:23 pm

Also a good idea might be to replace the sprites for the already dead doom enemies lying on the maps. Weird fighting Nazis and the first thing you see is a dead Cacodemon and then dead former humans and sergeants where Nazis would be.
Nevander
Banned User

Postby durbdoogle » Thu May 19, 2016 5:16 pm

Oh cool. I'm always up for shooting more nazis :)
durbdoogle

Postby Luigi2600 » Fri May 20, 2016 11:49 am

Me and Untrustable had a similar idea when it came to a Wolfenstein enemies mod. It was called Waffen 4.0 which add the enemies from Wolfenstein in doom featuring their rotations and such. It wasn't finished but I'll release the builds pretty soon on my own thread. Anyways awesome work as usual dude. :D

I might bring the project back and add the enemies from the expansion packs as well but I'll have to think about that.
Luigi2600
What did he mean by this?

Postby HorrorMovieGuy » Fri May 20, 2016 12:07 pm

Very small bugfix update:
-Fixed: Hitler's delay on death
-Fixed: Death Knight was shooting both missiles from his left side on the Doom hitscan and Tracer settings
-SS trooper has new sprite names, so it shouldn't conflict with megawads that replace the Doom's regular SS trooper

On a side note, I'm gonna be using more Anonymous fuctions next major update. So the code should be cleaner, and easier to edit(in case anyone wants to)

@Luigi2600 That's pretty cool. And thanks :wink:
HorrorMovieGuy

Next

Return to Gameplay Mods