Hexen: a Morte [Released]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Hexen: a Morte [Released]

Postby Gideon020 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:56 pm

During the Castle Sewers I've encountered a large number of missing textures. Unfortunately, at the time I didn't remember to take screenshots, but one major area was the Horn Key Door area.
Gideon020
Fanboy

Postby HexenMapper » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:40 pm

Gideon020 wrote:During the Castle Sewers I've encountered a large number of missing textures. Unfortunately, at the time I didn't remember to take screenshots, but one major area was the Horn Key Door area.

Interesting... I played through recently and didn't notice any missing textures there. There aren't any custom textures around that area either, all just standard hexen textures...

I just checked and that area is fine. I did spot a missing texture/ HOM in the main area of the sewer system though, from when I fixed a small area where the player could get stuck.
HexenMapper
A mapper, of Hexen

Postby Legend » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:28 am

Nice! yeah I agree on the door buttons, they are a bit fiddly, I considered making them flat panels but they just didn't look as cool, so I left them...

Once I finally found them, they do admittedly look kinda cool. But it actually took me a good bit of time trying to figure out how to get out of the first room because they were kinda hard to see. I kept trying to open the door directly because I didn't notice the button to the side. Then, I had difficulty activating it. Personally, I think functionality should take precedence over aesthetics in this case.

If I was to re-do the toolbox I would make it a sprite and collectible. My knowledge of DECORATE was pretty limited when I started making this mod, I learned pretty much everything I know during the course of building it, and it would be very easy to implement now that I know what I'm doing.

Making it a voxel was a good touch. Honestly, if it was just a sprite, I probably wouldn't even of tried to do anything with it since there are other sprites which are simply decorations. Like the beer stein in the same room. Since it was a voxel, I actual took notice and that's when I attempted to pick it up/activate it. I couldn't really tell that it was a toolbox though.

Gameplay wise, I think it should still definitely be an inventory item that is picked up, then actively used on the gate button.

As for the spiders, use those discs of repulsion!

I did end up using discs of repulsion, but it was still quite brutal dealing with the spiders. Plus, discs have to already be selected in order to use them effectively. Encountering them for the first time, there is just not enough time to select the discs then use effectively. You have to know they are coming up which, in my opinion, is less hexen/doom style gameplay, yet more arcade shmup/contra style gameplay where a player gets good at the game by trial and error then memorizing the levels.

Spoiler:

Lol. Can you seriously do that, or was that a joke? Otherwise it's a pretty funny image seeing the fighter do that at the sight of a spider.

Also keep your eyes out for breakable walls, they often conceal useful items and health.

I haven't spotted any of those yet.

I wanted spiders to be a real threat, but I have heard quite a few complaints about them so perhaps I should consider making an "easy" spider for lower difficulties that moves a bit slower and doesn't hit as hard.
[/quote]

I was playing on normal/middle difficulty. I would say that they should be nerfed to a specific degree for normal difficulty and lower and kept as they currently are for the higher levels. Just two versions. As in the same stats for all levels from normal to easy. Then the current stats for hard to nightmare difficulties.

I really like the atmosphere so far in the first area. I still can't get far enough though to appreciate the meat of the mod it seems though yet.

Sorry it took so long to check it out.
Legend
I Am Hellbound

Postby HexenMapper » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:44 am

Legend wrote:Lol. Can you seriously do that, or was that a joke? Otherwise it's a pretty funny image seeing the fighter do that at the sight of a spider.

Yes you can! its a hilarious way to deal with them but I think you're right that spiders could do with some nerfing. No sense in having them game-breaking in the first map.

I haven't spotted any of those yet.

Look out for cracked walls... they're flimsy enough that a good punch should break right through...

I was playing on normal/middle difficulty. I would say that they should be nerfed to a specific degree for normal difficulty and lower and kept as they currently are for the higher levels. Just two versions. As in the same stats for all levels from normal to easy. Then the current stats for hard to nightmare difficulties.

Yep thats a solid idea!

Best of luck, unfortunately the mod doesn't get easier... its not exactly a walk in the park! Try a lower difficulty perhaps? That way you can just cruise through and enjoy the ride!
HexenMapper
A mapper, of Hexen

Postby BoJustBo » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:44 am

Played a bit on the second difficulty setting (not a hexen player, used to doom so I thought I'd start it easy) but holy hell, the spiders just wrecked me (playing as cleric by the way.) I got up to the boss arena thing but by then I was pretty much out of all items.
BoJustBo

Postby HexenMapper » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:41 am

BoJustBo wrote:Played a bit on the second difficulty setting (not a hexen player, used to doom so I thought I'd start it easy) but holy hell, the spiders just wrecked me (playing as cleric by the way.) I got up to the boss arena thing but by then I was pretty much out of all items.

Ok guys, I've nerfed spiders for the lowest 2 difficulties, they move much slower and do much less damage. The first boss has also been nerfed, although it still spits out many smaller spiders, they will move slower and do less damage. That should make things much more manageable, at least for the first map. This mod was never meant to be easy, but I dont want to put anyone off too early!

The download link has been updated (A_morte_446.rar), sorry for the inconvenience!

Spoiler:
HexenMapper
A mapper, of Hexen

Postby HexenMapper » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:14 pm

Replaced some missing textures and updated the download link
HexenMapper
A mapper, of Hexen

Postby Ed the Bat » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:05 pm

The download link seems to point to a missing file.
Ed the Bat
I'm tired. I want to go home.

Postby HexenMapper » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:49 pm

Ed the Bat wrote:The download link seems to point to a missing file.

Yeah it seems mediafire generated a new insta-download link, making yesterdays one void.

I updated the link to take you to the right place :)
HexenMapper
A mapper, of Hexen

Postby guineu » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:17 am

Had two problems playing the first level:

The destructible wall leading to a secret in the same room where you use the toolbox didn't get completely destroyed, there was a small piece of wall blocking the entrance. Upon restarting it worked fine and I could enter. Here's a pic:

b.jpg

Then after killing the first spider launching fireballs the door didn't open, had to look the gameplay video on the first post to realize what to do. Maybe the problem was that I used the maulotaur item and he was the one to kill the spider?

EDIT: Been messing around a bit with cheats, found some missing textures at the start of Map08:

Screenshot_Hexen_20170908_190047.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
guineu

Postby HexenMapper » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:27 am

guineu wrote:Had two problems playing the first level:

The destructible wall leading to a secret in the same room where you use the toolbox didn't get completely destroyed, there was a small piece of wall blocking the entrance. Upon restarting it worked fine and I could enter. Here's a pic:

b.jpg

Then after killing the first spider launching fireballs the door didn't open, had to look the gameplay video on the first post to realize what to do. Maybe the problem was that I used the maulotaur item and he was the one to kill the spider?

EDIT: Been messing around a bit with cheats, found some missing textures at the start of Map08:

Screenshot_Hexen_20170908_190047.jpg

Ah thanks for the feedback, interesting point on the first spider boss... I haven't encountered that before, I will try it out and see if I can replicate and try to find a fix.

I'l fix those textures too... :cry:
HexenMapper
A mapper, of Hexen

Previous

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects