Hexen: a Morte [Released]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: a Morte - Hexen mod and mapset

Postby TheRailgunner » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:50 pm

I have two things to say:

*The "MG42" is actually an M60, a similar, but by no means identical weapon. Jazzmaster9, Captain J, and myself have done work on MG42 sets, at least the last of which you are free to use, if you are so inclined.
*The naked woman with the jizz-spilling death really is in poor taste - yes, in war, women get raped by invading soldiers, but this isn't, say, Spec Ops: The Line - "realistic, gritty, traumatically accurate wartime experience" and "Nazi vampire cabal" don't really seem terribly compatible.
*I lied - I actually have a THIRD thing: the ROTT MP40 looks like rubbery plastic, and clashes with the shiny, metallic reload animation. It's also centered compared to the M60 and Mosin's angled sprites.

I haven't actually played it (I just poked through the WAD in SLADE 3 to have a gander at the weapon sprites, namely the MG42), so I have nothing to say about gameplay, but the second and third things, by themselves, bother me enough to forgo a Morte. It is, however, quite ambitious that you're making a TC for Hexen, of all things, and I do think this could be a truly great mod, but I will wait until these issues are addressed (1 and 3 aren't really deal breakers if 2 gets fixed, for the record).
TheRailgunner
Pour one out for Slax - one of ZDoom forum's finest.

Postby HexenMapper » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:44 pm

Thanks for the input TheRailgunner, I'll address your points one by one:

I'm aware the MG42 is actually an M60 sprite, but I'm not too worried, its a great looking sprite and the hero doesn't really know his firearms (being from a late medieval/ thirty years war period fantasy setting) The pickup message is "a heavy arquebus", so its never specified in game. I would love to see some of your MG42 sprites though, will definitely consider swapping it out (even though i love look of the Exhumed MG so much!)

The death animation of the naked woman is earmarked for editing, I did mention this in the OP. I agree its in fairly poor taste, and I'll either blur it out, or remove the offensive white pixels. Sounds like I better do this sooner rather than later if its a dealbreaker for you.

The Nosferati aren't actually Nazi's, they just happened to be set up in a church in Berlin. Probably surviving by bribes or just keeping a low profile. Its only once the soviets start invading that they know they need to get out, and so start searching for other realms to make their new home. The Nosferati are actually set up all over Europe, as shown later in the game. They tend to avoid human politics. Parties and ideologies come and go so fast compared to their long lives, so they only really pay attention when its a threat to their existence.

The MP40 feels pretty good in game, you dont see the reload sequence for very long, and while they are 2 different sprite sets, I haven't felt like they were out of place in game. I will look a bit closer though, might be I'm just too used to it! I have heard that people prefer consistency with angled vs centered sprites, and while this doesn't personally bother me, It wouldn't be too hard to make an angled version of the MP40, so I'll definitely consider it.

Thanks again for your input, I would recommend playing through the mod, you dont actually get to WW2 until 4 maps in, mostly dealing with spiders and nosferati for the first 3 maps, and the only WW2 tech being the MP40 and a revolver.

EDIT: TheRailgunner, I have edited the sprites in question, and updated the download link. the Mod is now 100% family safe (at least as "safe" as any 90s shooter like Duke Nukem 3D), so I hope that helps.
HexenMapper
A mapper, of Hexen

Postby wolf00 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:39 am

Spoiler:
if you want more guns http://world.guns.ru/handguns/double-ac ... ley-e.html

Spoiler:
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/at/sel ... 907-e.html

Spoiler:
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/at/ste ... 912-e.html
these can fit nicely
wolf00

Postby HexenMapper » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:43 pm

Thanks wolf00, Only issue is without sprites I can't really introduce a weapon. I'm not much of a spriter and without some good POV shots of weapons, it would be difficult to make them from scratch.

That Steyr Hahn pistol is very funky looking, I like it! The one pistol which I already have in game, and which I considered as a companion to slot 1, is the Tokarev TT-30. I tried it out, but in the end it didn't serve much purpose, and gaining a shitty slot 1 pistol later on in the game seems a bit silly (the enemies that use it are on MAP10 and MAP12 only)

At the moment the weapons feel pretty good, each has its purpose and there is no weapon that is useless. Revolver is great for shooting things up close, MP40 is decent for spray and pray around corners. MG42 is great for taking down things very quickly, the Panzerfaust is good for groups of weak enemies, or for taking down tanks, and the Mosin Nagant is great for long distance shooting.
The winchester is one of the few weapons that doesn't really bring much, but it serves to fill in a gap where there's no MP40 or MG42 ammunition, so becomes a good solid shooter at fairly long range. Also has a much larger magazine than the revolver (15 rounds)
HexenMapper
A mapper, of Hexen

Postby HexenMapper » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:01 am

Updated: First 2 hubs complete. 3rd Hub in the very late stages of completion, pretty much just 1 area to finish off.

I'm going to start looking at playtesting and balancing now, hope to get things ship shape for a final release!
HexenMapper
A mapper, of Hexen

Re: Hexen: a Morte [Functional - Playtesting]

Postby HexenMapper » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:16 am

Now have a functional build. Still some detail to add to the last map, but the entire mod is "complete", even the ending.

Next job is to do some playtesting and see how the balance is.

Mosin Nagant has had some issues too, currently cleaning it up but the weapon still works fine, just the deselect fails to deselect correctly. I also need to add monster kickback for all the custom weapons.
HexenMapper
A mapper, of Hexen

Postby HexenMapper » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:20 am

Updated: Third hub actually works like a hub now, nerfed some of the enemies there as well.
Added a few more goodies for the mage in the first hub, as well as more discs of reflection for all!

Also whipped up a trailer (in the OP) as well as finally completing the first map as mage in a playtest... its not easy work, you really feel like a mage, trying to use all your items to maximum capability. Discs of reflection are excellent for keeping spiders away.
HexenMapper
A mapper, of Hexen

Postby Legend » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:01 pm

Cool idea. But there are some major inconsistencies with the graphics. Particularly the hud weapons. Some weapons have bare hands, some have, brown gloves, and there is the hexen mage's ringed fingers in there too. Would be nice if all the hands looked consistent.
Legend
I Am Hellbound

Postby HexenMapper » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:30 pm

Yeah I guess the main issue there is the MP40 and the Winchester. I just need to replace the gloved hands with ungloved and we should be all good. I dont think I will do different hand depending on the class, but that would be ideal.

The cleric actually does wear brown gloves, so they're not too out of place for him, but I think ungloved for all would be a good middle ground
HexenMapper
A mapper, of Hexen

Re: Hexen: a Morte [Released]

Postby HexenMapper » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:32 am

Well I've fixed up a few things and I'm calling this 'released'! OP link is updated

Hope you enjoy, all you hexen players out there
HexenMapper
A mapper, of Hexen

Postby HexenMapper » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:32 am

After a complete play-through, I've updated a few minor things like texture alignments, and line blocking (to stop certain monsters falling in lava...)
Added some minor details and a few other fixes, but the mod is pretty solid, and completeable on the second-highest difficulty. Balance seems alright.

OP Link is updated.
HexenMapper
A mapper, of Hexen

Postby HexenMapper » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:27 am

Finally got into idgames if anyone wants to write a /newstuff review

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/theme ... his/amorte

Yep, we're in the x rated section... sigh. People searching for Hexen mods in the usual place will never find this.
HexenMapper
A mapper, of Hexen

Postby PlayerLin » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:01 am

HexenMapper wrote:Finally got into idgames if anyone wants to write a /newstuff review

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/theme ... his/amorte

Yep, we're in the x rated section... sigh. People searching for Hexen mods in the usual place will never find this.

I don't even sure X-rated wads can be reviewed or not......also it's still TOO early for someone reviewing your wad. As the review center system hasn't updated yet. At least it take about 2-3 months(depend on how T/nC goes) for someone can be claims it if your wad shows out in the review center list. :3:
PlayerLin

Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Legend » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:13 pm

I finally gave this a go. I didn't get very far because of two things. The buttons for the doors are small and placed slightly lower than eye level. This became frustrating when having to more or less pixel hunt to open each door. I think the door buttons could be a bit bigger or some how easier to trigger.

The spiders are a bit OP and could be nerfed a bit I think. Extremely fast and they chew off a bunch of health. I played as fighter and cleric. Neither one hardly stood a chance if I entered a new room and got rushed by spiders.

The thing with the tool box was kinda cool, but I walked past it a bunch of times thinking it was just a decoration. A note in the readme stating that you have to press the use key in order to "pick up" certain objects would have been nice. It should have been added to the player inventory or at least disappear after it was activated I think.

Still can't get past the beginning. Mostly cause of the spiders. I'll give it a go later tonight and see how far I get and leave some more feedback.
Legend
I Am Hellbound

Postby HexenMapper » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:00 pm

Legend wrote:I finally gave this a go. I didn't get very far because of two things. The buttons for the doors are small and placed slightly lower than eye level. This became frustrating when having to more or less pixel hunt to open each door. I think the door buttons could be a bit bigger or some how easier to trigger.

The spiders are a bit OP and could be nerfed a bit I think. Extremely fast and they chew off a bunch of health. I played as fighter and cleric. Neither one hardly stood a chance if I entered a new room and got rushed by spiders.

The thing with the tool box was kinda cool, but I walked past it a bunch of times thinking it was just a decoration. A note in the readme stating that you have to press the use key in order to "pick up" certain objects would have been nice. It should have been added to the player inventory or at least disappear after it was activated I think.

Still can't get past the beginning. Mostly cause of the spiders. I'll give it a go later tonight and see how far I get and leave some more feedback.

Nice! yeah I agree on the door buttons, they are a bit fiddly, I considered making them flat panels but they just didn't look as cool, so I left them... If I was to re-do the toolbox I would make it a sprite and collectible. My knowledge of DECORATE was pretty limited when I started making this mod, I learned pretty much everything I know during the course of building it, and it would be very easy to implement now that I know what I'm doing.

As for the spiders, use those discs of repulsion!
Spoiler:
Also keep your eyes out for breakable walls, they often conceal useful items and health. I wanted spiders to be a real threat, but I have heard quite a few complaints about them so perhaps I should consider making an "easy" spider for lower difficulties that moves a bit slower and doesn't hit as hard.

Good luck!
HexenMapper
A mapper, of Hexen

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects