"(File)Size Matters" 64K Compo (Judging not underway)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: "(File)Size Matters" 64K Competition

Postby Nash » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:03 am

MarisaKirisame wrote:And how is it the same mod? You didn't show anything but a screenshot looking at a door.

Because I was also making a horror mod, utilizing a dark room and a flashlight (which you asked how was it done and I gave you an answer)... if I ignored your question, would you even be making your spook mod? And used the same technique I revealed to you?

You could have made a million other things, but you chose to do the above. Right after I (happily) answered your question.

You did it intentionally. Don't try to side step it.

I see a lot of cool ideas being thrown by brilliant minds around here in the forum, but I would not try to 1-up them and copy their idea. Do you see me copying kodi's idea to make a whole new game within the ACS VM, just because he openly talked about it? No. That's because I RESPECT him.
Nash
AKA Nash Muhandes! Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes

Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Arctangent » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:32 am

Nash wrote:I see a lot of cool ideas being thrown by brilliant minds around here in the forum, but I would not try to 1-up them and copy their idea. Do you see me copying kodi's idea to make a whole new game within the ACS VM, just because he openly talked about it? No. That's because I RESPECT him.

This is a pretty terrible example, considering that's an extremely board idea and I'm pretty sure a ton of people actually thought of that as soon as they saw this.

Hell, a shoot 'em up like that was my first idea before I scrapped it for my current one.
Arctangent
squawky

Discord: SquawkyAtan#2371

Postby Nash » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:35 am

Context, context, context. He clearly made that spook mod right after I revealed mine and answered a technical question from him pertaining to my mod. He wasn't doing anything even remotely close before that. I don't need to justify myself and go into detail here, it's clearly obvious what's happening here.

This isn't about originality, or a fucking hudmessage, or anything like that. Read the posts, see what transpired and it should be immediately obvious that what he did was very dicky.
Nash

Postby Arctangent » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:39 am

I got that, it's just that that specific part really stuck out at me.
Arctangent
squawky

Discord: SquawkyAtan#2371

Postby ibm5155 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:12 am

GLITCHLAND updated http://www.mediafire.com/download/i0grr ... AND_v4.pk7
and hell, I even used non conventional ways of resizing the mod, tbh, not even 7Zip was helping, the mod got stucked in 67KB D: and now it's just 37KB hehe.
And since I didn'y have posted a screenshot of my map here is it
Spoiler:

EDIT: GZDOOM only, the map is too complex for zdoom and will crash it on the first move D: And zandronum doesn't know ascii
Last edited by ibm5155 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ibm5155
Just Spooky

Postby Major Cooke » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:55 am

EDIT: Nevermind.
Last edited by Major Cooke on Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major Cooke
QZDoom Maintenance Team

Postby ibm5155 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:59 am

but credits waste 20 precious bytes :lol:

V That's a good point, credit Major Cookie dud, you copy copy guy :evil: (Well, he gave up the mod and the mod is broken, so gg)
Last edited by ibm5155 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
ibm5155
Just Spooky

Postby Major Cooke » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:01 am

I mean the forum, smart guy.

"Thanks to Major Cooke and x/y/z for helping out with this."
Major Cooke
QZDoom Maintenance Team

Postby wildweasel » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:24 am

Nash wrote:Context, context, context. He clearly made that spook mod right after I revealed mine and answered a technical question from him pertaining to my mod. He wasn't doing anything even remotely close before that. I don't need to justify myself and go into detail here, it's clearly obvious what's happening here.

This isn't about originality, or a fucking hudmessage, or anything like that. Read the posts, see what transpired and it should be immediately obvious that what he did was very dicky.

Make a better one, then, if it's so important to you. I don't see that yelling someone out of wanting to compete is very sportsmanlike conduct, even if you had a reason.
wildweasel
from a different perspective.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Nash » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:32 am

Good to know that I cannot be demonized from now on if I stop being helpful and transparent as I see little motivation to do that after this incident. :)
Nash

Postby zrrion the insect » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:38 am

You posted an idea in a very open and sharing community, explained how to implement the idea, and then didn't ask that people not use the idea. If you didn't want people to use your thing, you should have posted that because that's how the doom community as a whole works. Had you just said, "Sorry, I forgot to ask that people not use my thing for the time being." You would be good and.people would be fine with it, but being rude about it was not the way to go. People aren't miffed that you don't want your stuff used, their miffed that you jumped right to accusing the other person of theft. Approach things calmly next time.
zrrion the insect
Like a fish in a child's hands.

Postby Nash » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:52 am

Accuse? He clearly made something similar to my stuff directly after I posted my stuff. There's solid evidence there.

"Well then duh your fault for being helpful and answering peoples questions"

But I'm not like that. If I were to do that, how am I any different from this guy? Would I have been better off like that guy? Keeping things to myself and not sharing? Maybe I should do that from now on?

I really don't care if this didn't happen in a compo thread but it's really dicky when you clearly do something similar to another person's entry. Imagine if I saw HorrorMovieGuy's "A Mod For Ants", asked him "hey how did you do it?", he tells me how, and then after that I submit a mod of my own that is basically like his mod (except with a few different things). Don't tell me HorrorMovieGuy wouldn't be pissed at me for doing that, like I have no respect for him.

Or if you made a thread about your JRPG, and then I come into that thread and post "hey here's my JRPG too!" and I post it in your thread. Don't tell me you wouldn't be upset.
Nash

Postby wildweasel » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:06 am

You're honestly being a very bad sport about this whole thing, to be honest. So he used a technique of yours, that you explained. If you feel so strongly about it, did you contact him first and ask nicely to get out removed? Or did you immediately choose to yell at him in public?

This is a thread for friendly competition, emphasis on friendly.

(Edit) By the way, Twitter isn't a place where I'll discuss moderator related issues. I go to Twitter to get AWAY from this shit.
wildweasel
from a different perspective.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Inchworm » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:30 am

This thing sounds pretty fun; I'll see if I can't come up with something worth sharing in the midst of all of life's many obstacles.
Last edited by Inchworm on Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inchworm

Postby zrrion the insect » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:36 am

I am ~650 bytes over the limit :C I'm so close I can taste it.
zrrion the insect
Like a fish in a child's hands.

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects