"(File)Size Matters" 64K Compo (Judging not underway)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: "(File)Size Matters" 64K Competition

Postby Captain Ventris » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:42 am

Remmirath wrote:Explodoom: every monster explodes with a radius damaging explosion upon death. EXTREMELY advisable to play along nuts.wad. :V

Fix'd.
Captain Ventris
Buy my novel, “The Shadow Among The Stars” on Amazon or Itch.io!

Postby stan423321 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:22 am

We can't win, this is the ZDoom enhancement that brings the most joy.

(Granted, it lacks header files, but they fit with compression... though not so precisely.)
stan423321

Postby Captain Ventris » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:42 am

stan423321 wrote:We can't win, this is the ZDoom enhancement that brings the most joy.

Awesome reading comprehension:
"Your submission must be able to run on its own".

It doesn't matter if it can't compile within 64kb if the final project is under 64kb. That's like saying you have to fit your OS in under 64kb. That's obviously retarded and not the intent of the rules.
Captain Ventris
Buy my novel, “The Shadow Among The Stars” on Amazon or Itch.io!

Postby TheBadHustlex » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:04 pm

I'd participate. Sounds like a fun challenge, and a as I might take a little break from my current project when school starts to get stressy again, I might have time for something smaller, like this.
TheBadHustlex
Better than stalin.

Postby Matt » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:16 pm

wildweasel wrote:
GooberMan wrote:Just gonna throw it out there with all this talk of demo scene tools... It seems to me that it would be within the rules of the competition to have a ZIP containing an executable file that would procedurally generate all the resources needed for your map/mod and save them to a WAD file. The rules do say the mod must be able to run on its own, and having such a thing still won't require anything else to make it work. And since procedural generation is a form of compression...

(Exploit all the technicalities!)

Yesssss, you're getting it!
Per RaveYard's question I'm in favour of explicitly allowing resources and source code to be made available and not to count as part of the actual submission.
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:35 pm

REMOVED: I resign from this competition, all my entries have been taken down.
Last edited by Marisa Kirisame on Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Discord: 霧雨魔理沙#1666
Twitch ID: MarisaDOOM
Github ID: OrdinaryMagician
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby LanHikariDS » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:46 pm

This brings to mind that Terry WAD that, when decompressed, went from a few Megabytes, to a Gigabyte. I swear, someone'll probably end up pulling that, thus rendering your competition limits null and void.
LanHikariDS
Some people call these demons, I call them bitches.

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:47 pm

Of course... that won't do for my standards. I'll come up with another entry, eventually.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester

Discord: 霧雨魔理沙#1666
Twitch ID: MarisaDOOM
Github ID: OrdinaryMagician
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby daimon » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:18 pm

So, i'm working on something that you can't see everyday:

A strife level, oh boy!!! And it's for zdoom! :D

Also, i have a question: how i can put things in my map? The things are there, and they works fine when i put them on vanilla strife, but not in zdoom (strife in hexen mode)?
I'm using Doombuilder 2 for editing...
daimon
the vocaloid / love live doomworld avatar fad starter guy

Postby ibm5155 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:21 pm

It first I was thinking it was going to be hard to make a wad file with less then 65KB.
Now I it's even harder to make a map that uses 64K D: (I'm still with 10KB left and idk what should I put into it D: )
ibm5155
Just Spooky

Postby HorrorMovieRei » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:40 am

You guys like things that are small, huh? You want mods to be smaller in size? I'll give you small, then!
HorrorMovieRei

Postby Nash » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:44 am

HorrorMovieGuy: that's genius. Be sure to pitch up all of the sounds for added LULz.
Nash
Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes

Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby ibm5155 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:56 am

Ladies and Gentlemen, here today ibm will presente you the GLITCH LAND, powered by cyriak engine.
The mod isn't 64KB, BUT, it's 55KB (I found some usage for the extra 5KB) :D
BE ready to fight against the map glitches, and also having fun with some puzzles (and also having your mouth opened by effects that almost no one ever used in a doom mod)
The was planned in mind to use this music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Xa4bHcJu8 but since it's not enough space, I found something "more similar" that could fit that small size :S
Thanks nash for the 7zip tip, I had it here but I never used it, now my wad file come from 507KB to 79KB and now 55KB :D

DOWNLOAD HERE (Works under gzdoom, didnt test it under zdoom but it may be too glitchy, zandronum failed to open the map, maybe due it being a pk7 file)

PROTIP: The map isn't easy, but can be beaten, just remember to use the save button

EDIT: Since this is a linked post, I'll Always update the download link here
Last edited by ibm5155 on Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ibm5155
Just Spooky

Postby kodi » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:28 am

HorrorMovieGuy wrote:You guys like things that are small, huh? You want mods to be smaller in size? I'll give you small, then!

Cool! Consider adding a ledge mantiling script from one of the mods the uses them so the player has to jump and climb to get over 24 map unit floor height differences.
kodi
Proscrastinator

Postby jpalomo » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:24 am

Cutting it really close here
Here is my entry for now: Dropbox, Mediafire
It is just the latest (unreleased) version of JPHUD, altered slightly to reduce the file size.
I will probably put a different entry in at a later time. Working 13 hour shifts doesn't leave much time to do anything unfortunately :(
jpalomo

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects