"(File)Size Matters" 64K Compo (Judging not underway)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: "(File)Size Matters" 64K Competition

Postby Combine_Kegan » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:49 am

DISREGARD REST, ASSEMBLE EXPLOSIVES

Man at this rate this is gonna be one hell of a tiny gameplay mod.
Combine_Kegan
The GMOTA Guy

Postby jpalomo » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:26 pm

Evil Space Tomato wrote:What can you do with 150 bytes?

You can make a WadC script that produces a "random" fully playable level, with enemies, health, and weapons. Best of all its compatible with all source ports.

Get WadC here https://jmtd.net/wadc/

As cool as this is, I'm afraid it might break the last rule:
Your submission must be able to run on its own, i.e. nothing but the submitted file and its target port and IWAD. Your submission MAY NOT require any other external files.

We'll see what wildweasel says about it. In any case, the maps should be fine though. I update my first post with the new entries. I'll be posting my new entry shortly. I just need to test it first to make sure I didn't miss anything important.
jpalomo

Postby wildweasel » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:41 pm

jpalomo wrote:

You can make a WadC script that produces a "random" fully playable level, with enemies, health, and weapons. Best of all its compatible with all source ports.

Your submission must be able to run on its own, i.e. nothing but the submitted file and its target port and IWAD. Your submission MAY NOT require any other external files.

We'll see what wildweasel says about it.

If you can fit WadC itself in the 64K, I'll accept it; otherwise, I'm not really going to be in the mood to track down a runnable copy myself.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby jpalomo » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:11 am

Alright, here is my entry. It will replace my previous entry. Here are the download links:
For the competition (updated April 30th):
Dropbox
Mediafire

Post-comp updates (updated June 26th), see this post:
Dropbox
Mediafire
GitHub

Requires a dev build of GZDoom!

This modifies all monsters (including bosses) to have a random chance of spawning as an uncommon or rare monster type with random modifiers. Think something along the lines of action RPG games like Diablo. You can spot these special monsters by the light that they emit. Uncommon monsters are blue, rare are yellow. Rare monsters are also given random unique names, chosen from a pool of first and last names. This name is displayed at the top of the screen with an enemy health bar (aim at them to display it), as well as descriptions of the modifiers they currently have. Killing these tougher monsters will give you more drops and experience than normal. Killing any monster will grant you experience points. Leveling is automatic, providing the player with increased health, movement speed, and damage with each level. The max level is 25.

This also modifies some of the monster behavior to make them less annoying. The Pain Elemental doesn't shoot lost souls anymore. Instead, it shoots the same fireball as the Mancubus. The Archvile also doesn't revive monsters anymore. The mancubus will now only shoot one volley of two fireballs instead of three, and the Revenant shoots two weaker fireballs.

I deliberately left the weapons alone for this one. I'd like to see what people think about it first before expanding on this.
Last edited by jpalomo on Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
jpalomo

Postby Evil Space Tomato » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:46 pm

wildweasel wrote:
jpalomo wrote:

We'll see what wildweasel says about it.

If you can fit WadC itself in the 64K, I'll accept it; otherwise, I'm not really going to be in the mood to track down a runnable copy myself.

OK I misunderstood I have added a link to a compressed version of WadC thats only 54KB, it also includes a batch files to start WadC
Evil Space Tomato

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby wildweasel » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:18 pm

Alright, that's good enough for me, then.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby ibm5155 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:40 pm

How did you fit the 48.44 MB from java into that tinny 50kb space :o :lol:
ibm5155
Just Spooky

Postby dljosef » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:27 am

@jpalomo - A simpler version of the DoomRPG mod? Ohohohoho I'm liking it so far. (the revenants with the homing prefix can still be every bit as annoying as the vanilla ones, though.)

Edit: On the flipside, pain elementals are actually something of a threat now. Especially if they have the extra projectiles thing. (The homing thing doesn't really work well for some reason, given how fast the fireballs move.)
dljosef
Brutal Doom? Nope, I don't care.

Postby Evil Space Tomato » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:05 pm

ibm5155 wrote:How did you fit the 48.44 MB from Java into that tinny 50kb space :o :lol:

Including the JRE would be silly as that would limit it to running on only one operating system.
I do not think WadC requires a particularly recent version of Java it can probably be run with the version that comes with Window.
Evil Space Tomato

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby VGAce » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:02 am

19KB zipped
replaces all sounds with their pc speaker counterpart but stays in the soundblaster format
make sure to set audio channels to 1,mono and disable all positional audio enhancements when using :)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wp9gd ... cpcspk.zip
VGAce

Postby DeXiaZ » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:15 pm

VGAce wrote:19KB zipped
replaces all sounds with their pc speaker counterpart but stays in the soundblaster format
make sure to set audio channels to 1,mono and disable all positional audio enhancements when using :)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wp9gd ... cpcspk.zip

Made my day! Perfect, 10/10
DeXiaZ

Postby kodi » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:23 pm

WIP video
Its gonna be crunch mode during most of my spare time until the deadline, but I'm gonna get this done dammit.
kodi
Proscrastinator

Postby wildweasel » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:45 pm

kodi wrote:WIP video
Its gonna be crunch mode during most of my spare time until the deadline, but I'm gonna get this done dammit.

Well, try not to work yourself to death; I'd hate to see you burn out on something like this.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby DeXiaZ » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:17 pm

Updated my Night64K mod to Version 3. Re-added link in old post.

For people who won't go and search in this topic, here is the new link:
V3!

Video demonstration if you forgot this mod:

================================
kodi wrote:WIP video

Interesting video, kodi!
DeXiaZ

Postby The Purple Marine » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:34 pm

Well, here goes nothing.
PISG: A TEXTURES Weapon Wad

First things first, why is it called PISG? Well, when I first was making it, I needed a name for the Wad file, and I randomly decided on the Doom pistol sprite name. (Which is kind of funny, as there actually is no pistol in the mod.)
PISG is a weapons and partial-enemy replacement mod. Before anybody gets their hopes up, this is nowhere near the level of wads such as Parkour, as I am still a beginner modmaker. It doesn't modify most the enemies either, only some of them. It should work with both ZDoom and Zandronum, but I haven't tested it with ZDoom version 2.8.1 or the current release version of Zandronum.
I didn't want to include any new graphics, even though I probably had the space to do so, I felt that it would ruin the cool aspect of the mod: that it doesn't use any custom resources. I also kind of went wild with the TEXTURES thing, so all the weapons have smoother animations. It may debalance the game a bit, well, probably alot, but I think it's still pretty fun.
Here is a list of weapon modifications:
Spoiler:

Here is a list of enemy modifications:
Spoiler:

And here is a download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0cmUBWDWk6jNFhJNHBxby1PT0E/view?usp=sharing

Credits:The people who work on the ZDoom wiki, as the Shotgun and Shotgunner's attacks were based on the wiki's generalized attack examples.

Anybody who decides to play this, I hope you have fun. :)
Last edited by The Purple Marine on Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:09 pm, edited 7 times in total.
The Purple Marine
Might actually become active again

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects