The Fold [Episode One, V 1.0]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ReedtheStrange

The Fold [Episode One, V 1.0]

Post by ReedtheStrange »

Welcome to the Fold. You are Dr. Rakim Xavier, head of the engineering department in the newly formed Gokstad facility. The facility was attacked by an unknown force upon it's first day of being operational before any experiments of procedures could be performed. You wake up in a dwindling elevator shaft and you need to find out what is going on outside and who or what has been attacking your facility.

The Fold's journey will take you across multiple parallel universes to discover more about the attack on the Gokstad. Fight through diverse monsters with many tools at your disposal, each with their own alternate fire. This is a psychedelic, Build Engine era-inspired standalone meant for GZDoom, with destructible and explorable environments, climbable ladders and enemies that can swim. In addition, instead of starting with the same equipment by default in every map, every map starts you with different weapons at spawn, if you don't like carry weapons from map to map.

Also, conversations are skippable if you just walk past them. Any conversation in further episodes will follow suit.

Screenshots!:
Spoiler:

Download Link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oe8kd3lg0v8h3 ... d.rar?dl=0

Do you feel lost? You should...

Are you ready?

Upcoming Game Modes:
-Survival mode
-Shooting/Misc Challenges (similar to Timesplitters)

IMPORTANT!

A build of GZDoom new enough to include multiple tags for one sector required. Some areas may be inaccessible otherwise.

If you're unsure, just download the latest DRD build right here: http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/
Last edited by ReedtheStrange on Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
Darsycho
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Re: The Fold [Episode One, V 1.0]

Post by Darsycho »

Suggestion, place the wad file in a zip before uploading as that reduces the size a bit. (in this case, the wad zipped is nearly 60 megs)
Downloading this regardless because I really liked beyond the portal, so it's awesome to see ya still in action.
ReedtheStrange

Post by ReedtheStrange »

Darsycho wrote:Suggestion, place the wad file in a zip before uploading as that reduces the size a bit. (in this case, the wad zipped is nearly 60 megs)
Downloading this regardless because I really liked beyond the portal, so it's awesome to see ya still in action.
Thank you! I just fixed the link. If you played Beyond the Portal, you'll likely recognize some things.
Darsycho

Post by Darsycho »

First 20 minutes of gameplay, couple things I got:

- These maps, from what I've seen so far, are frickin' gorgeous.
- The hitscan monsters are a real pain, especially the shotgun guys, their near-instantaneous attack is pretty much responsible for me dying a good 50 times.
http://i.imgur.com/wIU2ZPn.png This part in particular (map02) is pretty nasty, I'm only playing on the second difficulty by the way.
- Even then, shit's still fun. Gonna continue playing.
ReedtheStrange

Post by ReedtheStrange »

Darsycho wrote:First 20 minutes of gameplay, couple things I got:

- These maps, from what I've seen so far, are frickin' gorgeous.
- The hitscan monsters are a real pain, especially the shotgun guys, their near-instantaneous attack is pretty much responsible for me dying a good 50 times.
http://i.imgur.com/wIU2ZPn.png This part in particular (map02) is pretty nasty, I'm only playing on the second difficulty by the way.
- Even then, shit's still fun. Gonna continue playing.
I just changed that. They're slower to respond now.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

Looking at the pics, just wondering...what are you smoking :) ?
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

Only played the first map, and I like. :D
HorrorMovieRei
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by HorrorMovieRei »

Aw yiss, I love me some of that artsy wads
SuperSomariDX

Post by SuperSomariDX »

The music for the second level is very immersive. Gameplay is very solid, I actually felt like I was playing the game on an entirely new engine. That being said however, the music tracks have a tendency to have a lit of clipping in areas, but are overall unique, and semi-drone like. I approve of this mod. It's very well done!
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

honestly, everything except for the sfx are really nice and fitting
Ma77

Post by Ma77 »

Jesus this was unexpected. I thought it was going to suck but it was damn good (still have not beaten it yet). The level 1 music is stuck in my head though. The weapons are actually good and not shit like other mods that try to be different from doom (and the pistol is actually good in this lol). The SFX (the 3 or 4 of them) sounded really meh and weak. The environments feel like if doom F**Ked half life's Xen chapters. I hope to see more of The Fold.
Gez

Post by Gez »

I'm on the second level so far. The graphics have massively improved since Beyond the Portal, and the font is a lot more legible now.

Reached the fourth level (Energy Forest). Pretty good so far, the music tracks tend to be too short and repetitive IMO. Level design seem more organic and less hodgepodge than in BTP.
Darsycho

Post by Darsycho »

Okay so, at the moment I'm stuck because I can't find a switch or anything anywhere, I'll get to that in a just a second, here's mah thoughts!

- Not going to gripe too much about the hitscanners since I decided to play the first version anyways, however I do think it's a bit cheap to have hitscanners put in areas where they can snipe you from far away.

- I think there is another reason why I'm dying a lot, there is a lot of missing sound effects, most monsters don't have sounds, sometimes even when they shoot projectiles. So a lot of times I'd get shot from behind or something because I didn't know they were there. If ya want, I could make some sounds for the monsters, PM me if interested.
P.S: What ever happened to the player pain sound?

- The library boss was pretty easy, just hide halfway behind one of the pillars and most of the time he can't hit you because he's doing that 360 projectile attack. By the time he decided to use an attack with a shield, he was already almost dead anyways.

- Not sure if those rocket guys are suppose to be able to kill themselves with their own rockets, a lot of times I just let them get the last hit, lol.

- http://i.imgur.com/dIH3iys.png Is there suppose to be "water" in this area? :v There's a waterfall running into and out of this area here.
Also, I had no idea how to return back to the top, after a good 15 minutes of looking around, I ended up using the "fly" commands.

- Sometimes, there's a bit of switch hunting. Most of the time it doesn't happen but there's a switch here and there that you can easily overlook.
http://i.imgur.com/gAPdbHM.png Right now, I'm stuck and I've been looking around for a hefty amount of time to find some way to proceed.

- Out of curiosity, I decided to look at the wad with an editor and I remember last time playing this there were .wav files used as music and sound, which takes up an unneeded amount of disk space, and it's still the case here.
http://i.imgur.com/lPHMT9h.png Also, a lot of sounds, after they're done playing there is a lot of silence left afterwards, making the sound file even bigger.
Also, there's two DSSTNMOV and DSPLDETH sound files.

For your convenience, I decided, with a use of the program "audacity", to convert most of them into OGG format and put them in a separate wad file here:
https://www.mediafire.com/?jcarib8a38l9vp9

Here's the filesize difference after converting most sounds to ogg format:
http://i.imgur.com/fc3vvR7.png

Anyhow, really cool stuff. Really glad to see the project hadn't been dropped!
ReedtheStrange

Post by ReedtheStrange »

Darsycho wrote:Okay so, at the moment I'm stuck because I can't find a switch or anything anywhere, I'll get to that in a just a second, here's mah thoughts!

- Not going to gripe too much about the hitscanners since I decided to play the first version anyways, however I do think it's a bit cheap to have hitscanners put in areas where they can snipe you from far away.

- I think there is another reason why I'm dying a lot, there is a lot of missing sound effects, most monsters don't have sounds, sometimes even when they shoot projectiles. So a lot of times I'd get shot from behind or something because I didn't know they were there. If ya want, I could make some sounds for the monsters, PM me if interested.
P.S: What ever happened to the player pain sound?
Some enemies are meant to be quiet (similar to the Aliens in that old Aliens licensed corridor shooter); however, I did forget to add sounds to mothbeasts' and watchers' projectiles.

I will in the future either replace some hitscan attacks with missile attacks and/or reduce monster accuracy greatly.

- The library boss was pretty easy, just hide halfway behind one of the pillars and most of the time he can't hit you because he's doing that 360 projectile attack. By the time he decided to use an attack with a shield, he was already almost dead anyways.
You might have actually gotten lucky. Usually when I've fought him, he's used the shield pretty often.
- Not sure if those rocket guys are suppose to be able to kill themselves with their own rockets, a lot of times I just let them get the last hit, lol.
For the last episode, I might have you fight them with starting equipment, forcing the player to figure it out. I might fix that for higher difficulties, but since they can one-shot you and are common, I figured it could one tool that player could use against a Frankenstein type thing with a missile launcher.

- http://i.imgur.com/dIH3iys.png Is there suppose to be "water" in this area? :v There's a waterfall running into and out of this area here.
Also, I had no idea how to return back to the top, after a good 15 minutes of looking around, I ended up using the "fly" commands.
I know where that is. I'm not sure why it's appearing that way. I just downloaded my link and that 3D sector glitch doesn't seem to be there. There is iron(orange) water there and some vines for the player to climb up. I hope nobody else experiences this; I can't seem to replicate it as the water and vines always appear for me.

I forgot to mention! You need the newest version of GZDoom so that sectors can have multiple tags. Otherwise, there are vines to climb, no water in some areas and sometimes chunks of land won't appear.

You should download the newest build of GZDoom because there are probably more areas inaccessible because many of the ladders are 3D sectors in sectors with multiple tags.
- Sometimes, there's a bit of switch hunting. Most of the time it doesn't happen but there's a switch here and there that you can easily overlook.
http://i.imgur.com/gAPdbHM.png Right now, I'm stuck and I've been looking around for a hefty amount of time to find some way to proceed.
I might have pulled a Shadow Warrior here. The room with all of the glowing goo pouring from the ceiling and the huge face (the one in the screenshot) has a ladder that you can use to climb to the platform above the player. From there, there's another ladder that you can climb to get into the ceiling.

Also, you might need a newer version of GZDoom for the ladders to appear.
- Out of curiosity, I decided to look at the wad with an editor and I remember last time playing this there were .wav files used as music and sound, which takes up an unneeded amount of disk space, and it's still the case here.
http://i.imgur.com/lPHMT9h.png Also, a lot of sounds, after they're done playing there is a lot of silence left afterwards, making the sound file even bigger.
Also, there's two DSSTNMOV and DSPLDETH sound files.

For your convenience, I decided, with a use of the program "audacity", to convert most of them into OGG format and put them in a separate wad file here:
https://www.mediafire.com/?jcarib8a38l9vp9

Here's the filesize difference after converting most sounds to ogg format:
http://i.imgur.com/fc3vvR7.png

Anyhow, really cool stuff. Really glad to see the project hadn't been dropped!

I didn't actually know that .ogg files were smaller! I'm kickin' myself right now.
Last edited by ReedtheStrange on Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
ReedtheStrange

Post by ReedtheStrange »

Gez wrote:I'm on the second level so far. The graphics have massively improved since Beyond the Portal, and the font is a lot more legible now.

Reached the fourth level (Energy Forest). Pretty good so far, the music tracks tend to be too short and repetitive IMO. Level design seem more organic and less hodgepodge than in BTP.
Beyond the Portal was actually my first attempt and making a Doom WAD, so I was pretty inexperienced with a lot of things. That was one of the reasons I rebooted everything, the other reason was that the pixel art style actually took a lot longer and was very tedious.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”