The Fold [Episode One, V 1.0]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gez

Re: The Fold [Episode One, V 1.0]

Post by Gez »

Bug: on the train level, the yellow door isn't repeatable on the way from the level start to the rest. That means if you backtrack at some point, you're stuck.

There's also the whole open wagon where the textured automap is disabled and I see no good reason for that
ReedtheStrange

Post by ReedtheStrange »

Gez wrote:Bug: on the train level, the yellow door isn't repeatable on the way from the level start to the rest. That means if you backtrack at some point, you're stuck.

There's also the whole open wagon where the textured automap is disabled and I see no good reason for that
Just fixed both things. I think I must have accidentally had the original sector for the open car a part of the endless "cavern" portion of the background. The door never closes though, so it wouldn't trap a player, but it's probably safer just to leave that box checked.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Well I found it closed for some reason. I guess I may have accidentally pressed use at some point while facing its other side, which is a generic door effect which will close it back down.

Well I've finished it now. I'm not sure how we're supposed to reach the cracked wall secret in the pool of the last level ("Rave Consequences"). Couldn't climb out of the water into it, didn't managed to jump-crouch into it from a platform... Had to noclip into it. Took me a while to find out how to beat that invisible boss -- turns out one first needs to let the scary-looking dust whirlwind touch them so that the boss emerges in a shootable form.

I like the weapons. I tended to use mostly the side-by-side and force breaker, and I have neglected the neutron cannon, but they're all nice to use and they all have useful primary and secondary modes. For the end game sequence, you should try to shorten a bit the conversation with doctor Bock, and fix the spelling of "pursuit".
ReedtheStrange

Post by ReedtheStrange »

Gez wrote:Well I found it closed for some reason. I guess I may have accidentally pressed use at some point while facing its other side, which is a generic door effect which will close it back down.

Well I've finished it now. I'm not sure how we're supposed to reach the cracked wall secret in the pool of the last level ("Rave Consequences"). Couldn't climb out of the water into it, didn't managed to jump-crouch into it from a platform... Had to noclip into it. Took me a while to find out how to beat that invisible boss -- turns out one first needs to let the scary-looking dust whirlwind touch them so that the boss emerges in a shootable form.

I like the weapons. I tended to use mostly the side-by-side and force breaker, and I have neglected the neutron cannon, but they're all nice to use and they all have useful primary and secondary modes. For the end game sequence, you should try to shorten a bit the conversation with doctor Bock, and fix the spelling of "pursuit".
Lol, I was rushing since I realized that the first version had a level exit to nowhere, so I'm not sure if I have other brainspasms/misspellings in there.

The get the secret cracked, you have to jump from the ledge where you can find a force breaker. The neutron cannon's use is generally for large enemies that are far away (although the force breaker can also be used for this) and it can "kebab" them with the little condensed particles it fires for crowded rooms. It can also be used as sniper rifle if a minion is spraying hitscans at you from a distance.

Also, with any conversation in the future, you can run right past them and there's a script for handling it. I probably should have mentioned that in the OP. I'll add that now.
ReedtheStrange

Post by ReedtheStrange »

Mundane first level for most episodes. Still colorful and sure to have a lot of sensory input regardless.

Also:

In the future, I may make a patch that makes enemy hitscans into missile objects and the player's hitscans to look like they're missiles but still function the same. That way minions with trenchguns will be less of a problem, but the game will still feel fair.
CasualScrub
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by CasualScrub »

Icarus did a Doom Mod Madness on "The Fold".

Let's just say that it wasn't very positive.
ReedtheStrange

Post by ReedtheStrange »

CasualScrub wrote:Icarus did a Doom Mod Madness on "The Fold".

Let's just say that it wasn't very positive.

Hello, this is an alt of ReedtheStrange. I tried reactivating my account, but moderators still haven't approved, but I made this account just to respond.

Ouch! I wish I had known all of this while I was working on it. The only people I had available to critique were not Doom players or people who tended to play that genre and largely seemed hypnotized by the visuals, or had a bias toward it since they weren't used to seeing someone program something at all, so anything would have been impressive to them, and two of them had been romantic partners... so there's that. Maybe I should have started small like people usually do. I did not expect this to be the E.T. of Doom mods. Nobody who didn't like the mod responded to it in the thread, so I didn't know how much was actually wrong with it. Some of that was touched up this, mildly positive, but still critical review, which was the only one I could find: https://www.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/ ... spotlight/. The difficulty was largely inspired by Blood's gameplay, I found it far easier than Blood... back when I was working on it. It's more difficult now that I replay it for the first time in over a year. Seeing something I worked so hard on fall apart is pretty hard.

As for now, I am fine with someone picking up the pieces if they see potential in it, but I simply can't pour more time into it as I was actually harming my grades and interfering with work because of how much time I spent on it. I feel a little confused at the moment, as I'm working on an indie project, and wonder whether I should take this as a learning experience, or abandon it all together. I honestly don't know where to go at the moment.

I'll also admit, I chuckled at the video as it tore into my soul.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

ReedtheStrange wrote:Hello, this is an alt of ReedtheStrange. I tried reactivating my account, but moderators still haven't approved, but I made this account just to respond.
Sorry about the wait, I was asleep (it was just after midnight, after all!). You're all good now.
LostViking

Post by LostViking »

This a ReedtheStrange alt again. After a long while, I finally patched its problems. I haven't been reactivated. I'm pretty disappointed in what I produced and I couldn't let it sit like that.

Could I just permanently become active? Unpredictability is a recurring theme with me.

Mod link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6y06y6x1i2qdm ... d.wad?dl=0

Doomworld thread: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/8 ... edictable/
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

LostViking wrote:This a ReedtheStrange alt again. After a long while, I finally patched its problems. I haven't been reactivated. I'm pretty disappointed in what I produced and I couldn't let it sit like that.

Could I just permanently become active? Unpredictability is a recurring theme with me.
You did not follow the instructions properly here. There is no "just reactivate me". If you can't follow simple instructions, we can't do simple favors, it's as simple as that. The issue from the moderator who handled your specific case was you provided no info to verify with, so we don't actually know who you are.
LostViking

Post by LostViking »

Rachael wrote:
LostViking wrote:This a ReedtheStrange alt again. After a long while, I finally patched its problems. I haven't been reactivated. I'm pretty disappointed in what I produced and I couldn't let it sit like that.

You did not follow the instructions properly here. There is no "just reactivate me". If you can't follow simple instructions, we can't do simple favors, it's as simple as that. The issue from the moderator who handled your specific case was you provided no info to verify with, so we don't actually know who you are.
I didn't the first time, but I did in my second request.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

i think the biggest issue i have with the mod is the sound design, or lack therof. I like how a lot of the sounds are home made, but a lot of things feel muffled, or even just not there. A charge weapon without a charge sound is odd. A monster without a sight noise is odd. Opening a door or pressing a button without a sound is really odd
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

LostViking wrote:I didn't the first time, but I did in my second request.
The account has already been forced to reactivate, which means a notice has been sent to its associated email address. For whatever reason, that email address is not the same as the one you gave us. If you have an older address, you may need to check that one instead. Otherwise, send another request, mentioning both your current address and any old ones you might have had that may be associated with the account, or I have no way of proving that you're you.
LostViking

Post by LostViking »

chronoteeth wrote:i think the biggest issue i have with the mod is the sound design, or lack therof. I like how a lot of the sounds are home made, but a lot of things feel muffled, or even just not there. A charge weapon without a charge sound is odd. A monster without a sight noise is odd. Opening a door or pressing a button without a sound is really odd
I fixed those... except for the charge sound. I didn't even think of that. I often play games while talking to people, so I make poor judgment with stuff like that.

You know what. I think I will actually work with someone else for a change to iron what problems might be left of it in the future.
wildweasel wrote:
LostViking wrote:I didn't the first time, but I did in my second request.
The account has already been forced to reactivate, which means a notice has been sent to its associated email address. For whatever reason, that email address is not the same as the one you gave us. If you have an older address, you may need to check that one instead. Otherwise, send another request, mentioning both your current address and any old ones you might have had that may be associated with the account, or I have no way of proving that you're you.
In the meantime, could you copypaste my Doomworld post/title to this thread? I'm kind of embarrassed at its last state.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

LostViking wrote:In the meantime, could you copypaste my Doomworld post/title to this thread? I'm kind of embarrassed at its last state.
Again - how do we know you're who you say you are? Anyone can pose as the person you are claiming to be, even on Doomworld.

If you want this to go a little bit faster than waiting for the mods to reply to a public thread, you can try contacting us in Discord.

Also - we don't have the patience to wrestle this issue with you for long. If you have more of the information we requested on-hand, like previous login locations, it would be wise to have it ready.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”