Memoirs of Magic: Full Game is Now Avaliable!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
FaxedHead

Re: Memoirs of Magic: Full Game is Now Avaliable!

Post by FaxedHead »

This game seems incredibly broken, yet you are on to the next game? Did you playtest this at all without infinite ammo/god mode? I haven't found one gameplay video yet of the first couple stages. I'm thinking this was just a ploy to get patrons by showcasing very interesting gameplay videos. I direly need to see you play this game to know it is not broken.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Well, that's an interesting way to give feedback. Granted, the game can be confusing and borderline unfair. But there are ways to beat certain parts of the game. Grind some money and ingredients from killing monsters during the random encounter, abuse time-freeze magic spell, or use Flame Furnace's homing attack in tight situations like boss fights. Also, you just can use the save state to make it less frustrating.

tbh the one thing that i wasn't able to understand so far was the well-hidden secrets. Even though i used noclip in some places, i couldn't find that water tomb... Other than that, it's not really broken in my opinion. However, the difficulty spike could be frustrating for most people.

But honestly, not of a big deal unless it's actually proven to be broken or it's "did i softlock the game?" kind of broken.
Last edited by Captain J on Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:59 am, edited 11 times in total.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

FaxedHead wrote:This game seems incredibly broken, yet you are on to the next game?
Starting off with a loaded question is certainly one way of presenting feedback. It seems broken, but you aren't clarifying what exactly is broken.
FaxedHead wrote: I'm thinking this was just a ploy to get patrons by showcasing very interesting gameplay videos.
What i take of MoM is that it is not an easy game, and it rather harbors back to the difficulties presented back in earlier days, like the 90s or 80s. Back then, games much more favored the play to explore and come up with creative solutions to figure out a puzzle. Hell (no pun intended), DOOM's basic keytracking and skulltracking from places that aren't directly solvable in plain sight is one example of how a game challenges the player to think rather than to hand hold you all the way.

Suggesting that the finished product as it stands is simply a ploy to showcase gameplay because you have yet to find gameplay of the game being played to completion at the beginning is doing a disservice to the quality and effort involved in this standalone Doom engine title; in general you are setting yourself up for either no response from the developer or a witty comment at best. (Likely the former, as the developer has been in absentia since June.)

Which is to say: The way one present's feedback determines the response you will get. So how should this be seen from a developer's point of view up till this point?

I am asking, because underneath the negative tone setting of your feedback, i do believe you have a point to make, so far.

However, this:
FaxedHead wrote: I direly need to see you play this game to know it is not broken.
Emphasis on the bolded. Putting in a demand (''You need to do this!'') is always the wrong way to go at it, especially when the feedback you started with was essentially an accusation disguised as a loaded question. The developer does not need you to do any favors.

Feedback isn't a one way street where you simply throw up a demand and a dunk on the product without examples, it requires a combination of both supplier and reciever to be on equal terms and with equal merits of default respect.

Do you think this unwritten rule was met with your feedback?

Ill leave you hanging with that question, because it's not up to me to answer it. I didn't make the feedback.

Take that as you will though, i am just trying to help.
Last edited by Redneckerz on Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

OK what's going on here?
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Us trying to give Strawberry some nicely mixed feedback for a change. Every single taste is truly, in the bowl.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

FaxedHead wrote:This game seems incredibly broken, yet you are on to the next game?
Considering you are getting this for free, I don't see why this is an issue. The author can move on to whatever project they wish, and they are not obligated to fix this one for you under any circumstance. (If they do, that's on them)
FaxedHead wrote:Did you playtest this at all without infinite ammo/god mode? I haven't found one gameplay video yet of the first couple stages. I'm thinking this was just a ploy to get patrons by showcasing very interesting gameplay videos. I direly need to see you play this game to know it is not broken.
Given that this part seems like valid feedback though, I am going to let this post stand - but please heed what I said to your first statement.
FaxedHead

Post by FaxedHead »

I am just baffled that the creator never noticed that noone was presenting proper footage of gameplay on any format for an entire stage. I would like to see anyone manage the bare bones ammo, the ultra-hiked single difficulty. He can do whatever he wants, but should receive proper criticism for a game that does not progress well at all on the beginning, yet offers so much to anyone who may labor past the first couple stages. I would love to see someone prove me otherwise so I can finally enjoy this visual jewel.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I'm not against the substance of your criticism - all that is fine. All I was pointing out is that if he wants to leave this project behind unfixed, he's perfectly free to do so. :P
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

To make things better, improve this game yourself! Some kind of balancing addon might help. But just saying.
skdursh

Post by skdursh »

FaxedHead wrote:I am just baffled that the creator never noticed that noone was presenting proper footage of gameplay on any format for an entire stage. I would like to see anyone manage the bare bones ammo, the ultra-hiked single difficulty. He can do whatever he wants, but should receive proper criticism for a game that does not progress well at all on the beginning, yet offers so much to anyone who may labor past the first couple stages. I would love to see someone prove me otherwise so I can finally enjoy this visual jewel.
lmao git gud
FaxedHead

Post by FaxedHead »

Well considering I was trying to play alot of melee to start, I blame myself. I just am not too good with trial and error when I'm not expecting it. For instance, the first couple times of playthrough my inventory bar was not showing my ammo because I had too many items to display on the main screen and I was under the impression it had to be purchased. Although, I am an idiot for posting before I understood these things, a link to the walkthrough created for this game somewhere convenient is a good idea. I think if people better understood the game from the getgo, they could have a much less tedious gameplay experience. I need to learn how, but I am definitely looking into a gameplay addon.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

skdursh wrote:lmao git gud
Absolutely not the way to treat people around here. Doesn't matter who started it.
skdursh

Post by skdursh »

wildweasel wrote:
skdursh wrote:lmao git gud
Absolutely not the way to treat people around here. Doesn't matter who started it.
I think you're being a bit over-sensitive about a meme response, but aye aye cap'n, I apologize, ect.
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

In my entire life, I never expected I would see a doom mod that has furry Kenshiro in it as a playable character.
Honestly though, this TC has a very special charm to it with how it looks, I love it.
However, it's difficult as all hell.
It really reminds me of those old games that wouldn't even spare a second to destroy you.
It has very nice RPG mechanics too. With upgradable weapons and stats
I'm still impressed with how Leo(?)'s combos work. I think it's the first time I see a combo system that uses more than one button in a doom game.
Executing them is great fun too. Using different combinations to experience new moves was also fun before I realised I have an item that shows all combos.
But certain enemies (octorocks) are so annoying to deal with. I had so much trouble getting past the rainy beach area....
All in all, it's not easy, but it's still a great game and definitely worth trying out. Great job on it!
Also I love how the eyes of every character glow in darkness, it looks so nice.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

FaxedHead wrote:I am just baffled that the creator never noticed that noone was presenting proper footage of gameplay on any format for an entire stage. I would like to see anyone manage the bare bones ammo, the ultra-hiked single difficulty. He can do whatever he wants, but should receive proper criticism for a game that does not progress well at all on the beginning, yet offers so much to anyone who may labor past the first couple stages.
I am going to be a bit direct on the bolded, but where is this proper criticism you mention? You mention that there is no proper footage of the first stage, but is that on the developer, or simply because nobody has yet bothered enough to record footage of said stage?
skdursh wrote: I think you're being a bit over-sensitive about a meme response, but aye aye cap'n, I apologize, ect.
git gud is a stale meme anyway and does not have to be applicable to this very game. It can also be difficult because the game has bugs that make it so, for instance. Even then, the term is more used nowadays to shut down discussion, rather than improving it. This is why the meme is stale - It is devoid of any value the recipient may have from it.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”