Memoirs of Magic: Full Game is Now Avaliable!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
MrRumbleRoses

Re: Memoirs of Magic: Full Game is Now Avaliable!

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

Captain J wrote:Go to the Options, and then Click Display Options. Go there and adjust all the stuff low as possible. It's easy really.
surely not everything has to be put on the lowest setting as possible. there's clearly gotta be a certain few things that aren't needed to be messed with
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

I'm no Technician, so other than that, i can't do anything about it. I also had bad times with the lag, but i shrug them off nonetheless. And i beat the game in the end. Sure, lag ruins the Gameplay, but as long as it's still playable, it really is.
Spoiler: And Speaking of Beating the Game, i DID beat the game as Impish Gunslinger! (Spoilers)
EDIT:
dd73k8f-a7d9b86f-9028-4835-8912-5d80d940b3b6.png
dd7ptwi-88f45b62-a4eb-4d46-a8e5-ac74ffb3c06c.png
dd7ptwi-88f45b62-a4eb-4d46-a8e5-ac74ffb3c06c.png (4.8 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
Mind if i post some Fan Stuff here? :D
TheStrawberryOctopus

Post by TheStrawberryOctopus »

Captain J wrote:Mind if i post some Fan Stuff here? :D
Of Course you can!

Also, they was another update for MoM. You can read about the changes here!

https://strawberryoctii.itch.io/memoirs ... fix-update
treos

Post by treos »

well, that's surprising... no info on this game outside this thread, the download page, and maybe the tumblr...

ok...anyone know the REAL solution to the hidden temple word puzzle? abracadabra and hocuspocus unlos side treasure rooms. no matter what i try the queen gets killed.

edit: also have no idea where the "hearts" might be hidden. been wandering all over the place but it's hard to make any actual progress.
SallazarSpellcaster

Post by SallazarSpellcaster »

treos wrote:well, that's surprising... no info on this game outside this thread, the download page, and maybe the tumblr...

ok...anyone know the REAL solution to the hidden temple word puzzle? abracadabra and hocuspocus unlos side treasure rooms. no matter what i try the queen gets killed.

edit: also have no idea where the "hearts" might be hidden. been wandering all over the place but it's hard to make any actual progress.

Someone said before that there's a bee in the nearby town that gives you a hint. A hint I can give you is to think of Alibaba and the 40 Thieves, the queen's door opens the same way.
treos

Post by treos »

SallazarSpellcaster wrote:
treos wrote:well, that's surprising... no info on this game outside this thread, the download page, and maybe the tumblr...

Someone said before that there's a bee in the nearby town that gives you a hint. A hint I can give you is to think of Alibaba and the 40 Thieves, the queen's door opens the same way.
oh my...i am such an IDIOT sometimes! >.< one of those times where the obvious answer just completely vanishes from memory...

edit: ok...saved the queen, got the earth/air/fire/water dragon pacts... still not even a clue as to these "hearts"...though i have seen multiple areas that require them...

edit2: found the problem...i was overlooking the 3 keyholes in the forest dungeon (kinda easy given the dim lighting). mind the map in there. ;)
treos

Post by treos »

ok, a few things here...

first... i beat the game (wasn't hard once i found that first heart boss and got on the right path). the various geometric 3D things in the final dungeon... i didn't even know the DOOM engine was capable of such things. so, that whole dungeon was very impressive overall.

2nd... viewtopic.php?f=19&t=50250&p=926304&hilit=ring#p926304 the magic shops look NOTHING like the screenshots shown in this pic. they're bare bone at best. a cauldron in the middle of the room with a transparent staircase with the merchant standing on top while the item "cases" are arranged around that in a circle. this is what each and every magic shop actually looks like but with a different theme for each town. https://imgur.com/a/SN2Oz95

3rd... the magic shops are also the fast travel system as they are each linked to the first city in a hub system/layout.

4th... after the credits and whatnot, i went back to the tavern to check if that strange mole man's text changed and...it did. it starts off a nice little treasure hunt that leads you around a few locations (tavern > rainy shores...note: by "cross" they mean 'X', not an actual cross. that had me confused until i got to wondering...perhaps the dev is japanese? since X = cross in japan. > misty woods: 4th side of the monument > town of magic library: check the books. one mentions 3 wars > magic shops to buy the 3 rings > ...that's it...) then to the library in the first town...one of the books mentioning rings... said rings are those in the magic shops annnd... that's where the clues seem to end. doesn't matter what order i equip the 3 cursed rings, they simply don't seem to do anything of note aside from the green gorgon ring which has the "blind" effect that makes your vision darkened.

i...assume they're supposed to lead you to this "chaos realm" that gets mentioned a few times in the game (imp's home town?) but...it's a dead end at that point. i see no more hints anywhere.

edit: 5th... anyone happen to know where the light dragon is hidden?

edit2: regarding that ring thing... just an FYI, dev... no one ever says "cross marks the spot". the correct saying is "X marks the spot".
Massaraksh

Post by Massaraksh »

Well, I've beaten the mod. I admit, towards the end I cheated, and I will explain how and why.
First things first: this was a very, very poor experience. 2/10 just because it looks pleasant. I did not get any enjoyment out of playing it at all. And it all can be blamed on poor design: poor weapon design, poor weapon design, and poor level design.

To start with, all the weapons feel terrible to use right until the end of the game, when you can upgrade the shatter shotgun, chaingun and magnum to level 3 and afford to pay for ammunition for the shotgun and magnum. Alternate ammo magnum and shotgun do good damage, as does the chaingun, but with an asterisk. More on that later. Every other weapon isn't worth investing in, and since the tomes also have very limited uses. Signature weapons are all trash as far as I know, and wizard's orbs are the absolute worst of the lot. Fire one/two/four single-target orbs once every 3.5-4 seconds? Why? For what purpose? And even then the ice orbs are completely useless the whole game and most enemies are immune to lightning orbs.

The monsters are all bad. They are unnecessarily deadly and a massive pain in the ass to fight, and that relates to several things. First of all, projectile speed. I can describe it as "why". It encourages never coming close to any enemy, because at mid to close range every single ranged attack except for golems, ghosts and mushrooms might as well be a hitscan attack. It's like plutonia experiment, except somehow worse. The octopi are the worst offenders. Absolutely horrible to fight. Most enemies are horrible to fight. And the bosses are the absolute worst offenders. Everything is a bullet sponge. They take forever to kill, it's like you're trying to sneeze at them to kill them. Max level expensive ammo shotgun and magnum remedy this somewhat, but by that point I've played the mod a while, and it wasn't fun. Oh, and enemies have NO PAINSTATES. There is ZERO feedback when fighting enemies. NADA. Bottom line is, start over. Redo combat from the ground-up. Fighting anything in this game is the absolute worst.

Third of all: level design. It's big. It's way too big. It's unnecessarily, tediously big. Even compared to EYE, and that game had BIG levels. But it also had some of the most fun combat as far FPS games go, and you get to upgrade your legs. You can also kinda upgrade your legs here, via the haste spell, haste potions (wiz exclusive) or one of the rings (that also makes you blind), or buying agility upgrades. But that needs money, have fun farming that. This even continues to dungeons, where they just feel unnecessarily big. The worst offender is the water dungeon. Of course the water dungeon is absolutely horrible. Of course. Oh, and you copy-pasted the platforming session in the tower of heaven 8 times. And the desert sucks, just rework it.

I could go on and on, but I have to say that around halfway I started cheating. Specifically, I equipped the fury ring and consoled turbo 200. This made combat a bit more bearable. I also had to changemap because I softlocked the game in the desert by opening the way to the pyramid and leaving the area to find the local city. If you do that, you can never enter the dual dungeon. Oh, and magnum altfire lets you fly that way. Just keep chooting down and chugging alchemy potions like no tomorrow.
I don't know what else to say right now because the whole experience left me kinda empty in the head, so if you want more specific feedback on any element of the game, just ask.

P.S. I never found the fire dragon. Also, the puzzles weren't fun.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

treos wrote:2nd... viewtopic.php?f=19&t=50250&p=926304&hilit=ring#p926304 the magic shops look NOTHING like the screenshots shown in this pic. they're bare bone at best. a cauldron in the middle of the room with a transparent staircase with the merchant standing on top while the item "cases" are arranged around that in a circle. this is what each and every magic shop actually looks like but with a different theme for each town. https://imgur.com/a/SN2Oz95

3rd... the magic shops are also the fast travel system as they are each linked to the first city in a hub system/layout.
I found this fact pretty interesting. But i guess the old buildings for Alchemists were all Dark, Bland and Claustrophobic even. To be honest, i really like the changes Strawberry made. Definitely explains what village you're in right now and the shortcut mechanic is totally helpful. Also the Game changes as the time goes by due to technical or gameplay reason. Bear that in mind.
4th... after the credits and whatnot, i went back to the tavern to check if that strange mole man's text changed and...it did. it starts off a nice little treasure hunt that leads you around a few locations (tavern > rainy shores...note: by "cross" they mean 'X', not an actual cross. that had me confused until i got to wondering...perhaps the dev is japanese? since X = cross in japan. > misty woods: 4th side of the monument > town of magic library: check the books. one mentions 3 wars > magic shops to buy the 3 rings > ...that's it...) then to the library in the first town...one of the books mentioning rings... said rings are those in the magic shops annnd... that's where the clues seem to end. doesn't matter what order i equip the 3 cursed rings, they simply don't seem to do anything of note aside from the green gorgon ring which has the "blind" effect that makes your vision darkened.
X is cross in Japan? Then why people still uses the word Xmas as Christmas, i wonder? :P Anyway i'm sure most of the DEV team are not Japanese, but inspired by JRPGs. They speak only English, after all.

To answer your question, you have to shoot the sand on the area close to the X spot. It'll reveal the Arrow. Shoot where it leads to and eventually you will find the hidden treasure!
i...assume they're supposed to lead you to this "chaos realm" that gets mentioned a few times in the game (imp's home town?) but...it's a dead end at that point. i see no more hints anywhere.

edit: 5th... anyone happen to know where the light dragon is hidden?
Some NPCs that can be found on the Desert and will tell you some hint about the locations you want to know. Like Light Dragon's place or the Main Quest Temple. And i presume the Chaos Realm you're talking about is, in fact, does exist. Again, you will have to find the place on the Desert. NPCs will tell you where it is.

And i'm really sorry and regretful that you didn't like the game, Massaraksh. Sadly i can't reply furthermore. But i'm sure the DEV team will reply you!
Keralastic

Post by Keralastic »

While I agree with most of Massaraksh's criticisms, I think my only major issue with the game right now is the weapons. I'm just past the fire dungeon (and that diabolical arena before the end-boss of it) as of the writing of this post, and I've only tried playing as the Lizardman (who I abandoned after running out of ammo and supplies before that big graveyard fight in the misty forest) and the Birdman, who I'm currently using. The weapons I've used so far have been the aforementioned characters' weapons as well as the Earth and Fire tomes, and the rocket launcher.

My issue with the weapons is that, with the exception of the Earth Tome and the rocket launcher's alt-fire, they're really inefficient. The amount of reliable damage you can deal with them relative to the amount of enemies you'll be facing is pretty rough. Until I got the Earth Tome and a few Strength and Int upgrades I basically just had to melee everything as the Birdman because the minigun and Air Tome (whose primary attack function I still don't understand) chew threw his pitiful starting ammo pool so quickly. The shotgun the Lizardman had didn't fare much better in that regard, despite his higher starting Int, considering it was only really effective at damaging one enemy at a time at very close range.
While most weapons I think would be easily fixed by just tuning up their damage, accuracy, ammo consumption, and convenience-related things like projectile speeds, I think the shotgun and melee weapons would probably be well-suited to be changed to use some kind of AOE effect instead of hitscan or projectiles.
If you've played any first person melee combat games such as Chivalry, Mordhau, or regular shooters with involved melee like Killing Floor 2 or the Star Wars Jedi Knight series, I think a system like that, where melee attacks are more of a defined arc in front of you where they deal damage to any number of enemies in that area would make using melee feel a lot better. Perhaps also giving them a bit of knockback on hit to hold back or intercept enemies that are dangerous at close range such as the bayonet skeletons or jumping slimes. I imagine the shotgun has a wide spread of shots for the sake of letting it hit multiple enemies while limiting its effective range, but it kinda makes it feel more like a glorified melee weapon since you have to get so close to land enough hits to do a useful amount of damage. Making its shot act more like an instant close range cone of damage (maybe just an A_Explode when it fires) would give it both multiple-enemy-hitting capability as well as limiting its range while making it substantially more consistent and effective.

Aside from those gripes, and melee being basically suicidal as soon as most of the enemies have projectiles, I think the monsters and overall difficulty are in a good place right now. Which is to say, pretty hard! Now that I've settled in a bit more I'd say I'm pleased with the game so far, even if getting around can be a bit tedious unless you're using the Gorgon Ring. (which feels like a bit of a necessity considering how huge some areas are, like the forest outside of the kingdom)
If I try another character at this point, I'll probably try the Imp Gunslinger, he seems like a pretty popular choice, likely due to his effective starting weapons. (All things considered I should probably try the Ratman since he starts with the Earth Tome, my favorite weapon so far, and Earth is my favorite element anyway, but he's not one of the Cute Boys, and if I'm playing The Legend of Cute Boys: Ocarina of King's Field, I want to play one of the Cute Boys.)
TheStrawberryOctopus

Post by TheStrawberryOctopus »

A few things in regards to Keralastics and Massaraksh points!

Regarding the Hawkman, his low INT stat is compensated for the fact he has access to the Mini Gun and a Giga Drill Component at the start of the game. The Gigadrill itself (which can be found within the grave keepers hut) Carries him pretty hard despite having a lack of INT! (In addition to this, the Chain Lightning spell, the first spell of the Electric Tome, is a very power single hit projectile which can devastate hordes of enemies!)

In regards to your observations regarding the Shotgun, the Spread Damage aspect you are talking about is accessible via the Alternative Ammo for the Shotgun, which has an Large Penetrating Spread to it. I would have a look into the alt ammo for that weapon, which I think would be more to your liking in regards to the shotgun functionality!
(Also, you wouldn't be fare off by saying the shotgun is a glorified melee weapon, as the Secondary Attack does encourage you getting close to enemies while they are frozen!)

Another aspect to consider in regards to Melee attacks is they scale in damage heavily when LVL'd up, and become extremely powerful when they alt attacks are utilized. While they are at LVL1, they are more of a last resort/ammo conservation weapon (Akin to Hexen weapons), and become more of a main staple of your move set once they get into LVL2-3!

The Imp Gunslinger (Who a lot of people picked up at first due to finding him cute) is actually 1 of the 2 most hardest characters to start with I think. I see him more so as a Speed Run type character, where as the Mage himself is a heavy glass canon type character. If you pick either of those up, I would recommend being quite familiar with the game overall before doing so!

I also want to add; most enemies are not immune to Ice or Electric Attacks (only roughly 2-3 enemies are 100% immune to electric damage), and most enemies that are immune to ice attacks are clearly ice based enemies. A big recommendation I always suggest for players playing this is to experiment, as they is a lot of hidden nuances when it comes to what you can pull off in combat (Such as the Mages orbs, which I would consider one of the strongest Signature weapons in the game due to their massive utility and damage output, especially once you get to LVL2 and LVL3!)

I should point out however too, that I have actually started on my next project, so any changes I will be making would be minor as I have already spent the first month of release making major changes to the project. I will still be looking into any major (or quick, tiny bugs!) that I can fix!
Keralastic

Post by Keralastic »

TheStrawberryOctopus wrote:In addition to this, the Chain Lightning spell, the first spell of the Electric Tome, is a very power single hit projectile which can devastate hordes of enemies!
I've noticed it does this occasionally, but I haven't been able to find out what actually determines whether or not it produces the arc chaining effect. Most of the time it seems to do nothing at all, aside from a small amount of damage. Is there a technique to making it work, or is it just random chance?
Massaraksh

Post by Massaraksh »

TheStrawberryOctopus wrote:A few things in regards to Keralastics and Massaraksh points!

Regarding the Hawkman, his low INT stat is compensated for the fact he has access to the Mini Gun and a Giga Drill Component at the start of the game. The Gigadrill itself (which can be found within the grave keepers hut) Carries him pretty hard despite having a lack of INT! (In addition to this, the Chain Lightning spell, the first spell of the Electric Tome, is a very power single hit projectile which can devastate hordes of enemies!)

In regards to your observations regarding the Shotgun, the Spread Damage aspect you are talking about is accessible via the Alternative Ammo for the Shotgun, which has an Large Penetrating Spread to it. I would have a look into the alt ammo for that weapon, which I think would be more to your liking in regards to the shotgun functionality!
(Also, you wouldn't be fare off by saying the shotgun is a glorified melee weapon, as the Secondary Attack does encourage you getting close to enemies while they are frozen!)

Another aspect to consider in regards to Melee attacks is they scale in damage heavily when LVL'd up, and become extremely powerful when they alt attacks are utilized. While they are at LVL1, they are more of a last resort/ammo conservation weapon (Akin to Hexen weapons), and become more of a main staple of your move set once they get into LVL2-3!

The Imp Gunslinger (Who a lot of people picked up at first due to finding him cute) is actually 1 of the 2 most hardest characters to start with I think. I see him more so as a Speed Run type character, where as the Mage himself is a heavy glass canon type character. If you pick either of those up, I would recommend being quite familiar with the game overall before doing so!

I also want to add; most enemies are not immune to Ice or Electric Attacks (only roughly 2-3 enemies are 100% immune to electric damage), and most enemies that are immune to ice attacks are clearly ice based enemies. A big recommendation I always suggest for players playing this is to experiment, as they is a lot of hidden nuances when it comes to what you can pull off in combat (Such as the Mages orbs, which I would consider one of the strongest Signature weapons in the game due to their massive utility and damage output, especially once you get to LVL2 and LVL3!)

I should point out however too, that I have actually started on my next project, so any changes I will be making would be minor as I have already spent the first month of release making major changes to the project. I will still be looking into any major (or quick, tiny bugs!) that I can fix!
The big problem is that the wizard's signature weapon heavily dissuades experimentation due to an EXTREMELY low firing rate. I have also found that the lightning orbs are only really effective against skeletons (until they get guns and start to really spread out and spray lead in your face at near-hitscan speeds) and slimes, with anything else that it worked on it didn't kill them in one or two hits, or the chain lightning just ceased working as soon as there was any elevation difference between enemies like poison clouds, at which point why would I waste 6-8 seconds killing nothing at all, possibly more if I miss, instead of firing a flaming orb and killing whatever it hits in a single shot?
As for the ice orb - it freezes enemies. To which you have no followup - see the downright abysmal firing rate. I have not once used the ice orb in combat the entire game because of how utterly useless it made itself out to be through the first zone/dungeon/boss.
You said that the wizard is a glass cannon - and it's true. In an almost literal sense. You shatter like glass and fire just about as often as an actual cannon - but because of the firing rate your DPS ends up being WORSE than pretty much all other characters.

Honestly, just pick birdguy, at least he has a shotgun, which is hands down THE best weapon in the game, especially with special shells.

Another really, REALLY big thing that makes combat much harder - enemies have no painstates. Which means that not only do weapons have basically zero feedback (combo of piss poor damage and no indication you even hit something), enemies can't be interrupted in their attack like in pretty much any other fps game to exist. You know those ghost lantern enemies? Sometimes my shots would technically connect - I'd see a fiery explosion from my orb - but no damage would be done, which means that enemy hitboxes are kinda broken.

As for upgrading your weapons to levels 2 and 3 - it takes so, so long, that by the time you can do that, especially with signature weapons, any sane person with anything better to do would drop MoM ten times over. Hell, I even tried to get some people I know who like to play bad co-op games for fun to try this - but they didn't even finish the second dungeon.

I really, really wanted to like this standalone game/tc - but I just can't. The scar it left in my soul is so painful that I don't think I'll ever be replaying it. I just hope that you one day come back to it and redo the combat at least, so that other people may enjoy it.
Techbane

Post by Techbane »

I cannot for the life of me get this to work properly in a generic GZDoom installation. It sort of works in my main GZD 4.0 installation, but even if I set up a separate, clean install of GZD 3.2.5 specifically it has the same problem: it won't render any of the custom 3D objects, instead displaying them as 3-color cube sprites. All the objects on the title screen, all the torches in the hallways, the chandeliers and what I can only assume are chairs and cutlery in the dining hall, just cubes everywhere. There are evidently some issues with the default HUD scaling too, but those I can at least fix with some meddling.

Anybody else run into this or have a workaround that doesn't require Windows?
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

I got a problem where submenus (option and the like) are overlapping each other by almost 50%. Any solution?

EDIT:
Fixed it myself by changing the lines

Code: Select all

OptionMenuSettings
{
// These can be overridden if a different menu fonts requires it.
Linespacing 8
IfGame(Heretic, Hexen)
{
Linespacing 9
}
}
Set them to 16 and the spacing was more sane.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”