Memoirs of Magic: Full Game is Now Avaliable!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tesculpture

Re: Memoirs of Magic: Full Game is Now Avaliable!

Post by Tesculpture »

Admittedly, I am still on my first playthrough and have only got as far as the entry to the Forbidden Mine boss room, but even so, I don't understand what everyone is complaining about.

Yes, even the weakest of the monsters is a threat that will punish you severely for underestimating them, but at no point have I encountered a fight where I didn't have everything I needed to achieve victory (assuming of course I wasn't blatantly entering an area I was underleveled for).

That said, I agree that the octopunks were not fun to fight. All the other monsters thus far, even the flying kamikaze bombs in the Mines, were challenging but satisfying to defeat - the Octopunks not so. It's not that I couldn't defeat them - once you've upgraded your stats/weapons, and stockpiled the health potions needed to tank their attacks, they are perfectly doable - they just aren't fun. On a separate note, the Octopunks in the Realm Of Magic forest area are positioned on swimable water...but when they fall into the water after attacking, they just disappear instead of sinking below the surface.

I also feel the game could be a better sign-posted. I mean there ARE signposts in the game, but occasionally I would get stuck wandering in circle wondering what to do and where to go. You can only access the shop/fast travel network once you have visited at least one of the other villages, but if you enter the Magic Emporium Hub at the very start of the game, there's nothing to explain that, leaving me wondering why there's just a random room full of books without even an NPC to talk to. While the fights are fair AS LONG as you aren't underleveled for an area, there's nothing beyond the King's opening suggestion to stop you from wandering the Realm Of Magic and ending up in an area you are underleveled for. And after I defeated the Temple Boss and got the first Elemental Heart, I was lost as to what to do next for a long time before it finally occurred to me to go back and talk to the King again. A Strife like quest log that kept track of where you should be going/what you should be doing would go a long way.

As for stuff I like...

-The art style is utterly gorgeous, and the 3D characters/bosses are astoundingly well made/animated. This mod more than any other made me almost forget I was playing on the Doom engine.

-The part of the Arctic Mountain where you get to kick some snowballs down a hill and watch as they take out a massive horde of foes. I've always been a sucker for enviro-kills, and this was immensely satisfying.
Xerenogan
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xerenogan »

Hello TheStrawberryOctopus,
I just recently found this via word of mouth and I have to say, this is amazing! I love everything about it this. The lack of handholding is right up my alley, and the enemies are difficult but fair. Each death was my own fault. As you mentioned to someone in the itch.io comments, the game is supposed to be diffucult, and enemy encounters in the overworld can simply be ran from. (The NPCs even mention it) It goes without saying that the artwork is gorgeous! While I thought that the levels seemed a bit big at first, once I had gotten a little agility or played as a high agilitty character though, they came into perspective. I love like the level design as well. I also appreciate the thought that went into designing the characters to be soloable or to fit well into a party role for multiplayer.

Really, I only have a few minor niggles.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler:
Again, I truly love this mod. For me, it's up there with Golden Souls. Don't let the plaintive noises some people are making get you down. I'm sure they just don't quite know how to voice their thoughts on things they percieve to be lacking, or maybe they simply missunderstood something; such as the fact that it's not supposed to be easy.

Let me just say, from the bottom of my heart. Thank you, and hope you are doing well.
PlayerLin
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

Code: Select all

Last visited:   Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:43 am
Unless TheStrawberryOctopus still check threads here without login the forum, I guess he already moved on(judge from his twitter posts) from this project, as he's busy with his current indie game project.

But, it doesn't mean he give up on MoM or something, I think.
TontonMayonnaise

Post by TontonMayonnaise »

Wow ! This mod looks great ! I like the cartoonish look of the graphics ! Did you do it all by yourself ? The gamplay looks nervous too ! A great TC ... :mrgreen:
Jeans44

Post by Jeans44 »

Does anyone know how to get past the graveyard puzzle in the beginning? I never really got past that part.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Unless you have not interacted with an Obelisk in the middle of Graveyard, each side of the obelisk displays the location of particular 4 gravestones you have to interact with. You'll have to start with the first one-- written on the front side of the obelisk. Mind the colored roses and the direction.

And the Fourth Gravestone is optional, but gives you a fine reward.
Xerenogan

Post by Xerenogan »

Yeah. the graveyard puzzle was pretty good. The secret had me bust out a pad and paper to figure it out. Had me feeling kinda silly at the end, because it's kind of obvious in hindsight. The lost Forrest section after it had me revisit my pad and paper again too. That is something that I really like about this, it makes you think and puzzle over it!
ZDL_800

Post by ZDL_800 »

This is such a colorful trippy experience.

Absolutely brilliant works.

A few edits and it works in VR, its awesome.

Edit..

Hello, has anyone had any issues with the NPC/enemy sprites black box no alpha transparency bug?

Most of the food on the large tables suffer from the black box and most enemies, if you start up a coop online game, most NPC's bug out ie the banker and such?

Really strange but I haven't been able to figure this out? Can anyone help?

I did check the sprite in the mod and there's no black background?

Most of the enemies and effects also suffer from this weird bug?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou very much and hope to speak soon.
Leglock
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Leglock »

How did I overlooked this gem? Really cool and fun TC! Bright colors, goofy characters, crazy weapons. Spot on!!!

I am curious if this run well in later version of gzdoom? Since there are some things that might change, like text fonts and mouse cursor. Having vulkan support improves a lot the experience.
Leglock

Post by Leglock »

Quick question, how do you use the potion mixer, it seems that I cannot find a key to interact with it once I am in the sub menu. Even when I have ingredients.
ShockwaveS08
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Android 10

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

I'm likewise confused on how the ammo-crafting menu works. What keys do I have to use to operate it? MoM has been on the backburner for me because of this.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

ZDL_800 wrote:I did check the sprite in the mod and there's no black background?

I had this same issue on one occasion; I believe it's a sprite rendering bug caused by setting the 'Precache GL textures' CVAR in your OpenGL options. It's in the menus, but if you want the console command for it, it's 'gl_precache'.
Leglock

Post by Leglock »

Abba Zabba wrote:
ZDL_800 wrote:I did check the sprite in the mod and there's no black background?

I had this same issue on one occasion; I believe it's a sprite rendering bug caused by setting the 'Precache GL textures' CVAR in your OpenGL options. It's in the menus, but if you want the console command for it, it's 'gl_precache'.
Or run the game in gzdoom 4.4.2 in vulkan render. Works like a charm.
ZDL_800

Post by ZDL_800 »

Thankyou very much Abba Zabba!

The issue is now fixed! I can now see all the items instead of squares.

Thanks again.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”