Memoirs of Magic: Full Game is Now Avaliable!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: Memoirs of Magic

Post by Captain J »

TheStrawberryOctopus wrote:

IMPORTANT: THE DEMO FOR THIS GAME WILL BE DROPPING ON THE 29th OF JANUARY 2018.

Note that date down on your calender!

Here is another Mini MoM vid, this time fresh out of the oven; Sorcery Changes!

The Undead mage has gone through many revisions with his signature weapon, but here is the very final version of what it will be; He utilizes Magical Orbs with elemental attributes on them which he can change on the fly. In addition to this, you get to see other effects that can be achieved with elemental attacks!

In this video you can see the Over world Area which connects all the maps together as well as the Music for the Area!
PlayerLin wrote:I wonder it those cooked/overcooked/holy blessed foods will has effects to player character...?
(I didn't see something changing in the video so I just want to ask...)
Burnt food gets your less food then uncooked food, cooked food gives your more health then uncooked food, and blessed food gives you the most health!
Magically Magnificent news! Can't wait for the Demo Release, and that Magical Orb floating around the player is really a nice touch!

Also i didn't know that players actually can cook/overcook stuff to eat and advantage. That's cute and sounds super-helpful!
PlayerLin
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

TheStrawberryOctopus wrote: Burnt food gets your less food then uncooked food, cooked food gives your more health then uncooked food, and blessed food gives you the most health!
So it affects healing, nice to know, thanks!

29th of this month? Wow, can't wait to play this when the demo released. :p
VicBorAng

Post by VicBorAng »

TheStrawberryOctopus wrote:

IMPORTANT: THE DEMO FOR THIS GAME WILL BE DROPPING ON THE 29th OF JANUARY 2018.
The Undead mage has gone through many revisions with his signature weapon, but here is the very final version of what it will be; He utilizes Magical Orbs with elemental attributes on them which he can change on the fly. In addition to this, you get to see other effects that can be achieved with elemental attacks!
Forgive me for saying this but those Magical Orbs feel a bit weak. And the elemental variations don't seem all that interesting to switch trough.
TheStrawberryOctopus

Post by TheStrawberryOctopus »

Just a Reminder to everyone here that the Memoirs of Magic Demo drops tomorrow!

I have a question; Is it possible to edit the title of a thread?... I want to include the fact that Demo is released inside of the title!
Gez

Post by Gez »

TheStrawberryOctopus wrote:I have a question; Is it possible to edit the title of a thread?... I want to include the fact that Demo is released inside of the title!
The thread title is the subject of the first post in the thread. So edit the first post, and notice the "subject" field above the main text area.
TheStrawberryOctopus

Gez wrote:The thread title is the subject of the first post in the thread. So edit the first post, and notice the "subject" field above the main text area.
Thank you, this will be very handy for tomorrow!
TheStrawberryOctopus

Hello everyone, it is finally time!: The Memoirs of Magic Demo is finally out, so download that bad boy and have a gander at it!

IMPORTANT: Use the EXE file to launch this game. This project has been tailor made specifically to be presented and run in a specific way which all the options have modified for. Running it any other way may cause undesired effects or oddities!

Make sure to report any spelling errors or bugs to me so I can fix them. A word of the wise though; this game is pretty tough, so keep that in mind when you go into it!... In addition to this, this demo does support multiplayer. If you were to do such things, I would recommended using Zdooms/GZDooms multiplayer function, as this game was built around it with that in mind. They will most likely be issues if you play with over 8 people!

Make sure to spread the word too, as the more input I get for this, the better I can make the final product. I am curious as to what you all think too, so feel free to share your thoughts or ask any questions here, as I will be more then happy to answer any questions in regard to this demo!

It should be noted that this demo covers they first 1/5th of the game, so its quite a hefty experience if I do say so myself. I will let you the players be the judge of that, however!

And, Most importantly, have fun Everyone!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/urrnbtayektgp ... o.rar?dl=0
Sinael

Re: Memoirs of Magic: Demo is Now Avaliable!

Post by Sinael »

First impressions:
I like this. I really do.

B u t

e v e r y t h i n g

i s

w a y

t o o

s p a c e d

o u t

And to get from anything of substance to the next anything of substance, be it another enterable building in a city or another encounter of a forest, you have to run for a long while while doing nothing and having nothing to look at.
I know that you were trying to build everything to actual scale, but condensed experience is the best experience and sometimes realism is better to be sacrificed, especially in Doom engine.
If you want to see how to make a good city or a village that feels big enough, but not too big to actually navigate - take a look at "Inquisitor 2" and "Inquisitor 3" wads. Inquisitor 3 also has pretty good wilderness in it.
Balance is also a matter of concern. For instance - thief monsters are a bane if you are a melee character or only has a melee option left to you. You will always be stuck with no gold, no exceptions. And all the monsters have higher or same melee distance than you, or pounce at you in a way you can't avoid taking hits. This is not the matter of game being hard, this is a matter of game being balanced against anyone who tries to go melee while presenting melee as a viable option..

Another thing: in GZDoom version provided, the rendering interpolation option is turned off which leads to a rather choppy 35FPS. Not the best IMO.

Last thing: you have a backup of your mod in the archive as well, which effectively doubles its size :P
TheStrawberryOctopus

Sinael wrote:First impressions:
I like this. I really do.

B u t

e v e r y t h i n g

i s

w a y

t o o

s p a c e d

o u t

And to get from anything of substance to the next anything of substance, be it another enterable building in a city or another encounter of a forest, you have to run for a long while while doing nothing and having nothing to look at.
I know that you were trying to build everything to actual scale, but condensed experience is the best experience and sometimes realism is better to be sacrificed, especially in Doom engine.
If you want to see how to make a good city or a village that feels big enough, but not too big to actually navigate - take a look at "Inquisitor 2" and "Inquisitor 3" wads. Inquisitor 3 also has pretty good wilderness in it.
Balance is also a matter of concern. For instance - thief monsters are a bane if you are a melee character or only has a melee option left to you. You will always be stuck with no gold, no exceptions. And all the monsters have higher or same melee distance than you, or pounce at you in a way you can't avoid taking hits. This is not the matter of game being hard, this is a matter of game being balanced against anyone who tries to go melee while presenting melee as a viable option..

Another thing: in GZDoom version provided, the rendering interpolation option is turned off which leads to a rather choppy 35FPS. Not the best IMO.

Last thing: you have a backup of your mod in the archive as well, which effectively doubles its size :P
In regards to the thief monsters (Goblins), it is not recommended to trying to melee attack them. If you are worried about gold being stolen, you can always store it within the bank!

Melee is a viable option against some enemies, but obviously not all of them. If you plan on going toe to toe with a roper (The Green Tentacle guys), you are asking for trouble!... However, it is worth noting that every enemy in the over world is 100% optional. Random encounter enemies despawn after you run away, and roaming goblins respawn when you exit and enter the area. That being said, Melee is not the best in the demo. In the full game, you can upgrade said weapons to be much more effective, but as it is it is mostly preferable against skeletons, slimes, caterkillers and mushdooms.

I will see what other people think of the Village areas though. Compared to something like Lands of Lore 3, I think its pretty tame!

Thank you for informing me about the Backup file though. I actually forgot about that, but its not something I can change with the demo now as it will break the link to where I posted it everywhere. This will not be the case with future releases though!

Thank you for your input though, its been very helpful!
PlayerLin
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

I still run the demo with latest GZDooM dev. build since 3.2.0 just a little old for me. :P
And I didn't see anything wrong...yet... havn't played much, found the secret room and enemy in Map01 and other secret one in Map02, cool.

Found a typo:
https://sites.google.com/site/playerlin ... 222100.png
extra "e" on the museum sign.

I found it's funny you can walk through the sign, just minor problem.

About the scale of maps, but since it's a TC not just a DooM PWAD, I don't care about scale problem, just don't too ridiculous big like going about 10 or more minutes just walk to the next every level. But well, Map08(forest/the land of magic) just...you know...I think it just like a maze,I found its scale just a little not usual long if I needed keep go other locations and go back, this map maybe needed some tweaks since I'm sure it would be boring, as monsters seems do keep appears again after go back to forest from other locations. :3:

About Goblins, I think the stolen money should come back to player after killed, but if it's for balance reasons then I can accept, but it still feel weird the stolen money just disappeared if I ask me. :P But I just try run away from those monsters as I still try to finger out how to deal with them...:\
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

I played it and i gotta say, this mod is as i expected, MAGICALLY MAJESTIC! The style, the gameplay, the feautures and the colors... Looks all smooth and cute. Reminds me of Good ol' N64 and PSX games! And i'm so glad i can play it right now, even though it's still demo. And you know, i kinda worried that this mod won't gonna run very well in my crappy computer. But it works just fine. So i bet more people can play this game without trouble!

And obviously i brought some feedback for for ya;
Spoiler: The Codex of Catchy Chatters
And that's about it. I'll be honest, i played and enjoyed the most biggest maps i've ever seen! Please keep up the good work. And i feel so happy that i can see Octti and Psy in person!... I mean First Person RPG.
TheStrawberryOctopus

PlayerLin wrote:I still run the demo with latest GZDooM dev. build since 3.2.0 just a little old for me. :P
And I didn't see anything wrong...yet... havn't played much, found the secret room and enemy in Map01 and other secret one in Map02, cool.

Found a typo:
https://sites.google.com/site/playerlin ... 222100.png
extra "e" on the museum sign.

I found it's funny you can walk through the sign, just minor problem.

About the scale of maps, but since it's a TC not just a DooM PWAD, I don't care about scale problem, just don't too ridiculous big like going about 10 or more minutes just walk to the next every level. But well, Map08(forest/the land of magic) just...you know...I think it just like a maze,I found its scale just a little not usual long if I needed keep go other locations and go back, this map maybe needed some tweaks since I'm sure it would be boring, as monsters seems do keep appears again after go back to forest from other locations. :3:

About Goblins, I think the stolen money should come back to player after killed, but if it's for balance reasons then I can accept, but it still feel weird the stolen money just disappeared if I ask me. :P But I just try run away from those monsters as I still try to finger out how to deal with them...:\
It should be noted that Map08 is the central hub area connecting all the areas in the game, so its the only the map of its Kind in the whole game. Also, everything in the forest is optional; including the monster encounters!... You can run away from any ramdom encounter and the enemies will despawn!

As Mentioned before, its always a good idea to store your money in the bank if you are worried about goblins stealing it!
Captain J wrote:I played it and i gotta say, this mod is as i expected, MAGICALLY MAJESTIC! The style, the gameplay, the feautures and the colors... Looks all smooth and cute. Reminds me of Good ol' N64 and PSX games! And i'm so glad i can play it right now, even though it's still demo. And you know, i kinda worried that this mod won't gonna run very well in my crappy computer. But it works just fine. So i bet more people can play this game without trouble!

And obviously i brought some feedback for for ya;
Spoiler: The Codex of Catchy Chatters
And that's about it. I'll be honest, i played and enjoyed the most biggest maps i've ever seen! Please keep up the good work. And i feel so happy that i can see Octti and Psy in person!... I mean First Person RPG.
With the last three points you mentioned: Those are intentional. The Weird giggling is something to have your ears opened for, and all the taverns are the same in every village!

I will apply force billboard on the trees and in the full game I will include a "Press E to continue" during the first sequence. You are not the only person who seemed to have trouble with that!

In regards to the kind saying adventurers, a lot of the dialogue is written with multiplayer in mind!

I may tweak the goblins if they prove to be too difficult to players, since they seem to be the bane of a lot of players!

Also, in regards to F1; most of the help information can be found in the library in the game, so I didn't see much use for it?

I am glad you are both enjoying it though, I will defintely make adjustments to the more common complaints!
Gez

Post by Gez »

TheStrawberryOctopus wrote:I will see what other people think of the Village areas though. Compared to something like Lands of Lore 3, I think its pretty tame!
I haven't yet tried it, but a suggestion to deal with the scale: boost pads. Say you have a long avenue, rather than walking all along it, you could step on an arrow-pad and get thrust at high speed forward to the other end of it (or wherever logical, like in the middle if that's where there's the entrance of an important building). I remember seeing jump pads in one of your vids so I think it'd fit okay in your universe.
TheStrawberryOctopus wrote:Also, in regards to F1; most of the help information can be found in the library in the game, so I didn't see much use for it?
Well, if nothing else, a help screen saying "You can find more information in the in-game library" would be suitable, wouldn't it?
TheStrawberryOctopus

Gez wrote:I haven't yet tried it, but a suggestion to deal with the scale: boost pads. Say you have a long avenue, rather than walking all along it, you could step on an arrow-pad and get thrust at high speed forward to the other end of it (or wherever logical, like in the middle if that's where there's the entrance of an important building). I remember seeing jump pads in one of your vids so I think it'd fit okay in your universe.
Honestly it depends on what character you are playing as. The Knight and Warrior class are pretty slow with low jump height until you upgrade their AGI Stat!
(It should be noted that they is also no upgrading cap in the game ala E.Y.E Cybermancy, so you can get to pretty ridiculous speeds if you put enough gold into Agility at the shop!)
Gez wrote:Well, if nothing else, a help screen saying "You can find more information in the in-game library" would be suitable, wouldn't it?
They are already signs like that in the game inside shops. Originally I was going to turn the F1 key into a credits page, but... they are credits at the end of the game too, so I am not too sure what I could use it for...
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Maybe add some artwork or pics of MoM? I know it's not gonna help anything but hey, that would be best. Or probably add HUD information into them or something!
Last edited by Captain J on Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”