[slow WIP] Shadows of Apocalypse - BETA public DEMO

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP] Shadows of Apocalypse - pre alpha demo release - L

Post by ramon.dexter »

MIssing textures problem fixed.
ramon.dexter

[WIP] Shadows of Apocalypse - Small update

Post by ramon.dexter »

Hi, some weeks passed and I have something new to show you.
Soo, for the news: Some game mechanics have been polished. One of these is the Game Journal, which is now fully ZSDF powered, with all it's features - so player will have a journal, similar to any modern RPG - quests will be listed in a list, from which player would choose a quest and read information regarding the quest. So no inventory items for each quest, now all quest information will be under one menu. Tested and it's working as expected. I'm suprised that's it's really simple, yet it works good.

I have learned how to use ZSCRIPT, so I'll start comverting all the important stuff into it - weapons, inventory items and maybe enemies. But that means a lot of coding. Already converted three weapons and two enemies.

Here's something to show you.
I've finally finished the player sprite - now I have a brand new original player sprite with full rotations on walking and shooting, pain states are mirrored and death frames are as the are. I'm really happy that the staff looks very good ingame (actually, I was worried because it looked funny in GIMP).
Also, sine Vostyok release a second demo with some new enemies (I simply love them!), I started to feel a need for a new enemy. So I tookthe strife's HMN1 nd tried to make something. The new Raider enemy is good, works well ingame, but it doesn't feel all the way too apocalyptic. So if anyone would help me, I can provide the full sheet.
Started polishing themain city of the Prologue. I had to remove all the props from the map because of some bad sved file which I was lazy to fix, So I'm slowly remaking the map with better grab on details.
Also, I started working on a new location - it will be a short quest location, based on a deserted old factory complex, now inhabited by raiders (who act as a peaceful settlers, just to lure in some gullible travellers and to rob them afterwards). The location is still heavy WIP, I don't even have a full concept of it, so many thing should (and probably will).

So, take a look.

The new player sprite (full sheet). If anyone likes this, feel free to use it. But don't distribute it until I release the Shadows publicaly. So, it's free for personal use.

The new raiders from Skulls gang. (just first frames - The raiders have finished walking, shooting and pain frames. Death frames WIP).

New location from the main city - Rangers outpost.
And a new location - the factory.
Last edited by ramon.dexter on Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [WIP] Shadows of Apocalypse - new pics and info

Post by Captain J »

Congrats! The player sprite looks pretty neat and Skull Gangs are nice too, but i think they might need their own colors. Like Grey, Dark red or any kind of Dreadful colors.

And i do hope there's sound effect changes too, if you know what i mean!
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Glad you are still working on this.

I agree with you though that the Skulls guys don't really have that PA vibe, unless you are going more for a Quake ranger vibe. Have a look at this:

Its a mockup for a guy i was making, but neither myself nor Gentek have a space for him.

Is this what you are after?

Edit: forgot to add. Your playersprite looks amazing :D
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Captain J: Yep,they are not fully completed. I just wanted to make a sprites of 'em to test how they look ingame. I'm not considering them as completely finished - they are just too clean for a post-apocalyptic raiders.
About the sounds - many thanks, I used some :)

Vostyok: Could you reupload the pic? I can't see it :(
By quake ranger - do you mean the quake 1 ranger? My rangers are actually inspired by quake 2 hunter model (here:https://www.quakewiki.net/archives/rene ... odels.shtm ) with red arnor - the helmet is screenshotted from nphernos model tools, the armor is cropped from the skin... :) I was actually thinking about adopting some parts of quake style, but that's a long run. So it's still under consideration, but I'm slowly coming to a point where I definitely need some help...
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Imgur version.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I am confused. Is your project related to Vostyok's Ashes somehow? Even the logo looks similar.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Maybe Inspired by Ashes a lot? It looks the same, yes. But i can see the difference completely; While Ashes is based on Nonstop One-way Action, SoA kinda feels like HUB-based RPG. Like Fallout series.
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Well, not directly inspired by Ashes.
But since we share the same setting, the games look alike. But I have my own world with my own backstory and Vostyok has his own world (when I translate the backstory, I'll share). Both worlds are set in war-destroyed world. My Shadows of Apocalypse is set in destroyed Czech lands, while Vostyok's look more like USA. So much for the similarity. And I have to say, when I was developing it for like two months, I was browsing projects forum and found out the Ashes. I was like 'What the hell? He is making literally the same game as I make.'.
But yeah, I'm not a good shooter designer, so this WILL be a HUB based game like fallout. Only the RPG elements are yet taken out. Basically, I have to develop a rpg system that could fit a postapo world. Like, in fantasy, where player hacks and slashes, one can reason a strength affecting damage. But how can strength affect the firearm damage? Maybe, I could develop some way to affect the bullet and projectile spread, but that would need a lot of scripting...
So, for now, the rpg elements are conversations and story. The game will have a backstrory, the world will have a backstory and every inhabited location will have a history, that could be learned in conversations with npcs. And since I elarned how to properly use language lump, SoA will be released in english and czech both.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Now i see, and good to hear that English version is going to released along with Czech version! And speaking of which, i'd like to see some Czech themed areas or place, to make it more different than Ashes! Of course, if you want.
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Small update: new enemy to deal with, a mutant inspired by fallout ghouls. Created out of Zombie Fodder from realm667, credits to: Vader, Raven Software, Finalizer, Horror Movie Guy

What do you say?

Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Looks rotten and spooky enough!
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Greeting from the wasteland, I have made new titlescreen:

GENTEK

[WIP] Shadows of Apocalypse - new pics and info

Post by GENTEK »

Woah! I really love what I see here on this page keep up the good work Ramon!!! :D
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

just so you know, im keeping an eye on this! it looks like its coming along well man.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”