[slow WIP] Shadows of Apocalypse - BETA public DEMO

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP] Shadows of Apocalypse - new pics and info

Post by ramon.dexter »

Its time for a small update.

I've been busy in work, so I don't have much time to work on this. But I have some spare time to draw some sprites, so I'm spriting.

Here are two new vendors, based out of strife's vendor. Pretty nice guy, easy to recolor (translate), so frankespriting is easy.

And a new raider. Aheavy guy, based on zrrion theinsect's quake guy. The head is inspired by Yholl's biker guy in DoomRL arsenal. The shoulder thing is from hexen warrior player sprite. Not fully finished, only walking and shooting frames. The spiriting is not hard, but it takes a lot of time, to draw like 60 frames for each enemy - I dont want to use mirroring.

Also, I'm slowly coming to a decision that it needs a serious re-work. I started this just because I was bored, without any real goal. Then I adopted the Shadows of Apocalypse setting, but without any real story. The first goal was the open, free world, which I found out to be unreal goal for my skills at that time (and that is true for now, I just started to learn the zscript, but coding a system that drives an open world is way over my skills). All the maps I've yet created looks good, and maybe I'll post them anywhere so anyone can use them. But the main problem is, that I made them more eyecandy, than actually fun to play. Too large open areas, hard on machine side, without any real, gameplay content. If this would be released, it will be more a walking simulator, than actual game. And I want to make something that would be fun to play. So I started working on a real story, that would help me design the maps and make the maps actually fun or at least interesting to play. So the pics that I yet released are showing something like pre-pre-alpha stadium and most of the locations will be changed. I started learning the build engine games guidelines (well, to be honest, I'm playing eduke32, blood with some weird java port and shadow warrior), trying to embrace the style of these games. GzDoom engine could be counted as equal to Build (minus the moving 3D floors, which are impossible thanks to BSP tree). So I want to focus on smaller maps, filled with content, rather than big, real-like but empty maps. So, the yet produced maps would be released as a kind of weird walking simulator, but the main focus is:

1) finish the story. Please, don't expect anything original. Cliche full of cliches. The game won't be a phylosphical simulator, it will be an B action shooter with some story and side quests. So cliches are good when used properly, I think.

2) Start working on new maps. Start from the concept, not with the builder directly. I think I can use some maps, but I think it would be easier to create new ones than re-make the existing ones.

3) Make some more post-apocalyptically themed enemies and npcs. I've yet created three variants of "normal" raiders and a heavy one. Two variants of vendors, plus five variants of translated stock Strife vendors. Five variants of strife civilians, but only males. No post-apo theme. The only npcs that could be used without any modifications are the strife beggars. So I have four translated variants. If anyone has some npcs with some post-apo/cyberpunk look, I would appreciate to use them (already credit :) ).

What is yet created:
- journal system, based on ZSDF dialog script and dummy invisble inventory items for quest mechanics
- inventory items - healing, grenades, protective; powerups could be activated and de-activated; powerups like shield, invisibility and night vision uses energy cells as energy (each with different drain speed); armor that could be worn when player wants, not when is picked up; food (basically healing items dressed as food)
- new weapon system, inspired by stalker series (mainly Stalker: Call of Pripyat) - player has three "slots" for weapons. Small guns, medium guns, big guns, so three weapons could be equipped at one time. Weapons are therefore divided into three groups, based on their size. Plus extra slot for melee weapons and one slot for portable lights - flashlight from realm667 and old oil lantern.
- lots of enemies - mainly "mutated" insects (from aracnocide), then some theme-fitting enemies from realm667, cannibals by Vostyok. The main pain are the human enemies - raiders, some militia. I can work with strife's resources, but if anyone have some human type enemies than would fit the post apocalyptic setting, I woul d breally happy. It could save me a lot of time.

scripting:
- ACS driven HUD showing location information and maybe some RPG stats, if I'll design some rpg system. Fully toggleable by a keypress, Maybe I'll make a menu for these things.
- HUD showing enemy HP and name
- HUD compass (the most complicated thing, actually not that hard to make. Could be tweaked)
- weapons in zscript
- interactive items in zscript - no need for dummy tokens for the advanced use mechanics

So I can do most of the work, but I would appeciate some help. At least for the spriting side, thats my main pain.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Now that sounds like a good plan for re-overhaul. And those new sprites looks fine, too. So yeah, good luck!
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Pics from a small design practise I did when I was bored. I tried to use the Duke/Build style of design.

The themeof this location could be as this: A small shantytown tucked to a cliff, so the inhabitants are protected from wateland critters. So some good houses, but also lots of patched up cabins.

My main pain now are the sprites :D
Spoiler: Screenshots
So, what do you think? I think this type of map is little bit better than big open wide areas. At least, it runs a lot faster and I can focus more on details.

Not 100% sure if this will make it into the full game. I just wanted to practise a different mapping style.
Last edited by Blue Shadow on Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spoilered the screenshots to keep things tidy.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

I like those storage containers.

Black Mesa Research Facility? Lol

No wonder they are in trouble.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Why yes! It looks all better and decent than previous one. And i really like the concept that you can grow mutiple numbers of crops, too. The more various, the more way to survive and have fun!

This is getting interesting. Good luck!
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Vostyok wrote:
Black Mesa Research Facility? Lol

No wonder they are in trouble.
Well, the wastelanders build out from what they find in the wastes...Don't ask me how it got there. Maybe, half life 3 reference? Who knows. :D
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Maybe they already found some Robco stuff in the wasteland too! :P
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Why not simply using models instead of voxels in general? AFAIK there are huge performance downsides with voxels that have a lot of elements or detail in general. Models with lowres textures work quite well in Doom, just check BoA for a proof of concept :)
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Well, basically, it's just mine weird love for voxels, that started when I saw voxel used for the first time in blood I think.

Also, I am capable of creating voxels. But really dont know anything about 3d modelling. So when I want to have a 3d representation of anything, I use voxel.

Also, I think it better fits next to sprite - the sprite has pixelated edges, the voxel does so. But hey - when the model is like 15kb, and the voxel is around 150kb, I use model. But when there is little difference, I tend to use voxel.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

And besides, 3D models honestly don't work so well with small pixelated sprites like this project's. Unlike Blade of Agony. I mean, it already has high-quality sprites, so.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Well, you can still make the models look "classic" by using low-res textures. my personal flaw with your voxels is that they look very flat compared to the sprites and the environment.
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Yes, that is possible. But I dont have the models.
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

An open world, post-apocalyptic DooM game?! Count me in!! But take your time, as polish is good!
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Well, I'm starting to feel that I want to show you something.

A little bit...

So, here we go:

As I wrote last time, I started with a restart of the project. The already made content was in too much chaotic state, so I started with polishing and clening the base archives. Also, with the cleaning a polishing came rewrote of the interactive things into zscript. So, weapons, inventory items and some supporting stuff are now written in zscript, with decorations and non-interactive things remaining in decorate.

Also, one of the main and basic changes is that Shadwo of Apocalypse will use Strife as base IWAD. Why? I just wanted to get rid of stock doom content (well, not completely, some is used. But hey, everybody uses doom as base, so I wanted to have a change). And also, I wanted to have the features of strife, without the need to manually re-write most of the stuff strife provides (like animated doors, etc.).

First, I wanted to focus on the openness of the world, so I put in like 30 weapons. Then I came to a conclusion that it's not the best idea, so I removed most of it and sterted looking for some new, original stuff. I settled with the Deus Ex weapons, that I had to rip&sprite, but I think they look pretty good. So now, we have 15 weapons (most of them are normal hitcan shotties, some with altfire - where it has a reason, like guns with grenade launcher, etc.), most of them are my sprites. The pistol and the shotgun are animated (hell of a job :D ). The OICW and the strange small SMG is made by Captain J and the blade runner pistol is a chronoteeth's, RedBedlam's and Captain J's work. Take a look.

I started working on a new story. It will be a kind of rip-off a wasteland 2 story. So, player's character is called Adam Starck, he's a lifelong member of the Rangers. The rangers are a rag-tag peace protectors combined with headhunters. They found an old, pre-war sealed army base filled with technology, so they are pretty hi-tech eqipped. Something like the brotherhood of steel in fallout, minus the powerarmors and technology hoarding. The rangers are controlling their part of wateland, but some of their most remote outposts have ceased radio communication. Adam is sent to find out what happened and why are the outposts silent now.

And with the new story, I started working on a new map. The map is based on Fallout 2 Klamath and Den glued together. I felt that the sole Klamath is too small for a living city...
So, I started using a some new textures, mainly homebrew from Soldire of Fortune texture pack from realm667. They look good and fit good a post apocalyptic setting.
Then I had an idea - to look at fallout resources, try to rip and look, how they look ingame. Returned prefectly, some of the fallout assets work good in doom engine, they even have the correct sizes. So, I replaced the BoA corn with fallout corn and added fallout trees and tree stumps. I think they fit just right in, as you can see on the screenshots right below.
- Fallout trees.
- some fallout crops
- and one of the many stumps.
I'm browsing the fallout assets and selecting these, that culd fit in. The rocks and nature things are looking ok, but most of the man-made things are too angled to look good. But I think I can make something with it, I just need time.

Here are some of the new textures. I'm trying to make an image of not-so-destroyed apocalypse. After all, people don't want to live in rubish, so my idea isthat people try to repair the places, where they live in.

I remember that somebody (Captain J, I think) asked, if there will be some sign and stuff in czech, since it's based in czech area. So, yes, there will be signs and stuff like that in czech. As could be seen on the pic below.
The graphics may change, but the stuff like signs, wallpapers, posters and advertisments will be in czech. Some will be even comverted from real life adverts. Hope I'll not run into some legal issues with that stuff :).

And, some specialties for the end. There will be many references to other games, fallout 1&2 mainly.

And also, there will be secrets, that player would uncover. Like the room on this picture. What's going on there? What is the chain for? And the cleaver?

Also, you may have noticed that I reworked the HUD. It is modified with parts from the Strife VE statusbar, it has better health&armor bars, and new customized grenades and batteries display - will be displayed only when player hase these items in inventory (the batteries will be used as juice for ON/OFF powerups). So I think the HUD looks better now.

Next, as I mentioned earlier, I have finally refined the journal based on strife ZSDF script. Now I have 100% working journal system, that could be used between maps. Also, I included a holodisk/log system to bring players more information regarding the world lore. So, player will be able to find items with information regarding world themes, that he will be able to read in the "journal". I'm just pretty amazed how easy to use this is, yet very effective. The only downplay in the ZSDF script is the inability to directly use custom variables. But that is weighted by the use of inventory tokens, that act as variables. So, I have at least the true/false variables, that are enought to customize the dialogue menu to serve any purpose. I'm thinking about writing a tutorial regarding this method, becuase I think noone used this in the way I did.

So, what do you think?
Captain J

Re: [WIP] Shadows of Apocalypse - new pics & new info

Post by Captain J »

Oh yeah, something got changed and i can notice them. And that gun looks absolutely interesting! Somehow SCI-FI fitting.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”