[slow WIP] Shadows of Apocalypse - BETA public DEMO

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP] Shadows of Apocalypse - new shots and camping!!!

Post by ramon.dexter »

Hello there, I have something I want to show you.

I spent the last week working on a new map, that will connect the beginning map with the first town hub. It's a wasteland, built up mostly from rocks and sand, dead trees and lots of radiocative ponds, that litter the landscape. It was a no-mans-land before the war, a place where were lots of illegal waste dumps, but also a place of some interesting illegal research and industrial production. Lots of places to explore, but also lots of dangers, like mutated fauna and flora, ghouls and cannibals.

Here're some pics:
Spoiler:
Also, for the end, I added a light. Something like in half-life - light that player has all the time, could be used all the time and recharges itself. The small yellow bar next to health&armor bars is the indicator. It's something like the pipboy light in fallout 3 - small area based light around player. I'm planning to add a more advaced version, that will spawn where player points, but it needs some tweaking, as I was focused on other things.
Last edited by Blue Shadow on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spoilered the screenshots.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Re: [WIP] Shadows of Apocalypse - new shots & camping system

Post by Vostyok »

Wow. I love your exterior areas.

Just a thought... but maybe have some areas more safe than others?

Perhaps sleeping in certain areas could spawn some nasty critters in your surroundings:

Print:\ SLEEP INTERRUPTED - You suddenly get that "Oh fuck" feeling.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Heheha nice touch on that campfire!! Looks so cozy and lovely. Anyway i hope there's no baddies interrupts you from dreaming!
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Vostyok wrote:Wow. I love your exterior areas.

Just a thought... but maybe have some areas more safe than others?

Perhaps sleeping in certain areas could spawn some nasty critters in your surroundings:

Print:\ SLEEP INTERRUPTED - You suddenly get that "Oh fuck" feeling.
Yep, that's planned :)
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Heh, i knew it! It's so dangerous outside, after all. And something popped up from my brain; Are you going to make some kind of special events while the player is asleep in certain places? :P

Also, is sleeping will give the player well-rested buff? Like speed up, melee damage increase, and other temporary advantaging goodies.
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Captain, thank you :) Very cool ideas! I'll think about it. I like the idea with the special events - yes that is something I will include. But I just have to work something out...Hehe, make a game where players want to sleep :)
Also, the idea with the buff is not a bad at all. I'll think about it!

Also, as the christams is slowly coming to town, here is a small gift for you. A camping gear, served for specially for the zdoom:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1y4Wzr ... cOg6swpvGv

EDIT: Yep, random encounters ARE included. Easier than I thought. Needs some tweaking, but the base is done. Heehee :) Now the buff after good sleep ;)
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Awesome. Remember to add something that stops sleep in radiation or damaging floor areas.

I can imagine someone getting through a lava pit or rad-hotspot by just taking a nap in the middle of it (even if glowing toxic waste is so warm and snug :s )
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

If we can make it at least-friendly, some kind of disadvantaging effects after waking up might be reasonable. :P

Being insta-killed while asleep on something dangerous sounds very realistic!
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Yep, Captn and Vostyok both have a point. Will think about it.

I think that should be simple floor texture check, nothing more, I guess :D

And for the advanatages and disadvanatges - I have thinkred about it a lot, and I decided that there will be no advantages. Well, I'm looking at the games that have sleeping as a part of gameplay included. I can imagine Skyrim or Fallout (that are my main inspirations). Both games are RPGs, where the main sleeping advatage is taht you get more XPs when youare 'well rested'. But I don't have any kind of RPG system, so I dont see a point in any kind of advantage. Life buff? I dont think so - when I had good slept, I dont really have more health... Also, the main purpose of the sleep feature is to heal the player. So I think this itself is advantage.

For the disadvantages for sleeping of dangerous floors - well, basically, sleeping of such floors will be disallowed. You cant sleep on lava in reality (heck, you cant even walk it), so you cant sleep on it either (I wont hassle about hardened lava crust and such a things :) ). The same is for waste liquids, or some sludges.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Hmm...... You also have a point there. Making it simple like healing yourself might be enough.
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Hello you all and happy new year!

Small update. I have finished and implmented a system of anomalies. No ACS, only Zscript/Decorate stuff. Works nice, at least as expected. No fancy stuff tho - shame that no visual effects like some lense effects (yeah, think stalker and the beautiful fisheye effects some anomalies have) cannot be used. So, only sprite animations, and stuffthat could be done with sprite animations. Yet it works good. I have a 'sucker' anomaly (sample code is in scripting section), a 'electro' anomaly with effect based on Tportal from realm667 and a kind of witches jelly/fruit punch, made with some particles. The fruit punch is not finished, I have only the particle system, and I need the burning like effect - does anyone have some nice burning-like sprites?
ramon.dexter

Re: [WIP] Shadows of Apocalypse - some new pics

Post by ramon.dexter »

Allrighty, I have some new pics to show you. And some new info to come with the pics.

So, first some info.
I'm closing to finish the first wateland map that player will encounter. Well, my first intent was to make small, yet detailed map. The second goal was met, while the first one not :D. I don't know, but I'm not able to make small maps :). So, this map is more for immersion that thing else, and could be called beast of a map. It's mostly empty, I've yet to develop some sort of enemy spawning system, so the player won't be completely empty. For the details part, I'mtrying to keep slightly under the "insane" level, and yet I'm wondered how this map works good, without any major fps drops.

AAlso, I have to show you the weapons. I have ripped weapons from deus ex 1999 that I haven't seen before, so I think I have some original pieces. I know the weapons don't look too much post apocalyptic...but to behonest, I like these weapons and always wanted to make something with them, so here they come.
Spoiler:
Asnoted in some of the pictures, I included a basic system of decorate/zscript driven anomalies. Nothing fancy, just some basic stuff. Now I want to make some sort of detector, that would graphically (or else) display the anomaly presence. Would anyone have some ideas?
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Best person to speak to is JDRedalert. He worked on a motion tracker for Aliens Vs Predator mods, so might be able to point you in direction of similar system for scanner type thing. If you just wanted a detector for distance (like stalker for increasing beeps as you approach), have a look at A_CheckProximity:

https://zdoom.org/wiki/A_CheckProximity

It's the be-all and end-all (apart from ACS variant) for getting distance as well as quantity for specific actors - especially regarding the CPXF_ANCESTOR flag. You could assign all anomalies a parent to inherit from, for instance....
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Noice new weapons! And thanks for using my resource. I definitely needed that!! And maybe you should adjust some weapons to connect the POV angle. Pumping shotgun one will be a good example.

And good luck with the monster spawning system. Those map pics looks promising enough. I hope some parts of the map affects the player as well.
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Hell, encountered hard error during testing. While coming from map02 (beginning map due to strife iwad) to map01...well, it crashes with acess violation error. It happen mostly always...so I dont know what to do now...

edit: Okay, the error happens after patching to gzdoom 3.2.5. I'm starting be little bit fed up with this. Like, its a problem with my laptop, or with the wad, or with what? Hell, I'm really starting to feel like dumping this, really...

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”