Beautiful Doom 6.1.4 (January 16, 2017)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
Got a cool project idea but nothing else? This forum is NOT for you! Put it in the project ideas thread instead!
Please read the full rules for more details.
Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Beautiful Doom 6.1.4 (January 16, 2017)

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:10 am

BEAUTIFUL DOOM 6.1 is back from 2008!

DOWNLOADS
* Versions: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ulachff6zorv ... lBIGa?dl=0 (remember to choose the latest version and suitable for your port)

REQUIRED PORT: GZDoom 2.1.1 or Zandronum 3.0 or ZDoom 2.8.1

If you've never heard of it — here's a list of features and a trailer.

TRAILER!
6.1.3 trailer

Older 6.1 trailer
Spoiler:

FEATURES: (for those who've never heard of it)

Beautiful Doom is a GZDoom mod that remakes all objects and monsters in the game to look more impressive, cool, bloody, you name it, but it RETAINS 100% ORIGINAL GAMEPLAY.
It works with ZDoom too, however objects that use additive translucency may cause some noticeable lag. I recommend playing under this port with turned off debris and fire effects (buttons I and O by default; check controls in game).

It has:
* Smoothly-animated weapons with smoke, empty casings, new sounds and stuff that have Doom's original performance
* A set of rebalanced weapons called 'Enhanced Guns': they have alternative attacks and provide more tactical variety
* HD weapon pickup sprites and hi-res main item sprites
* New deaths, animated blood, lots of special effects for monsters
* Physically accurate gibs, unique for every 'gibbable' enemy
* Interactive decorations: breakable lamps, killable impaled victims, etc.
* Light effects, halos, fire, smoke, whatever there is
* Footsteps, smooth water, and lots of other stuff

The mod is a PK3-file that consists of 5 separate wads:
BDoom_MAIN.wad that includes all basic actors and sprites and needs to be ALWAYS used
BDoom_Weapons.wad that includes weapon effects and sounds
BDoom_Monsters.wad that includes monsters, gibs, blood effects, etc.
BDoom_Decorations.wad that includes all decorative objects and also flat sounds and footstep sounds and script
BDoom_HDsprites.wad that includes HD pickup sprites for items and weapons; this one is fully standalone and can be used with vanilla Doom without the mod

Any of the wads can be used separately, but to use weapons, or monsters, or decorations separately you also need to load BDoom_MAIN.wad.

PLEASE REPORT ANY BUGS YOU FIND!

UPDATES
---------------------------------
VERSION 6.1.4
* FIXED
-- Picked-up weapons now give the correct amount of ammo (I was able to track down the issue that was causing ammo errors, thanks Someone64)
-- Destructible decorations (lamps, victims, hanging bodies) can no longer be pushed by kicks or Enhanced Shotgun's alt. attack
* IMPROVED/SFX
-- Added new smoother sprite flames for torches, candles and candelabras
-- Candles and candelabras now have a different flame from torches
-- Replaced light halos with smoother ones (with less obvious edges)
- Arachnotron's plasmaballs now has a yellowish-green hue instead of pure green. It's more similar to vanilla and also harder to confuse with Baron's fireballs.
-- Plasmaballs now have shorter trail and smaller halo so they don't obstruct vision too much
-- Small generic pieces of meat now spawn smaller blood while limbs spawn bigger blood
-- Objects falling on hard surfaces (like guns dropped by enemies) no longer produce unnecessary hard terrain sounds (they still produce liquid splashes)
-- Added special death animations for monsters when they're telefragged or killed via console. Previously they just spawned lots of gibs without any momentum which then fell down; now they show basic gibbing animation and spawn blood spurts, which looks better and doesn't cause that much slowdowns when using 'kill monstes'.
* IMPROVED/OPTIMIZATION
-- Adjusted light halos and light sources code so that it consumes less memory
-- Plasma Railgun's ray is now surrounded with blue halo only for a limited part of its length, so that it consumes less memory when firing over very long distances
-- Similarly to blood pools change in previous update, reduced the frequency of checks for the state of Gibs Toggle option which should reduce slowdowns cause by multiple gibs on older systems
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
VERSION 6.1.3.1 hotfix || January 12, 2017
*** IMPROVED
******* Reduced the frequency of checks for the number of existing blood pools which should reduce slowdowns on older systems
******* Made the blood pool number checks less glitchy
*** FIXED
******* Fixed a bug that caused Zombieman to never drop an extra pistol when using Enhanced Guns
******* Clip starting amount is now 50 (despite what previous version's changelog said, it was still incorrect)
******* Arachnotron now also has BFG death (like Plasma death but with blood)
******* Mancubus now doesn't skip initial frames of BFG death animation
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler:

NEW FEATURES IN 6.0 (for those familiar with previous versions)
* It's inside a pk3. You can play it as a whole or tear it up and take out the things you like. But make sure YOU ALWAYS USE BDOOM_MAIN.WAD.
* The mod is split into 6 wads:
BDOOM_MAIN.WAD - always needed!
BDoom_weapons.wad - weapons and their effects and also player's new deaths
BDoom_monsters.wad - monsters, gibbing. blood
BDoom_objects.wad - decorations, flat sounds, footsteps
BDoom_HDsprites.wad - HD and hi-res pickup sprites for items and guns
(HD sprites is the only standalone wad that can be used even with original Doom)
* All weapons have been carefully rebalanced to act fully original. Except if you decide to use Enhanced Guns player class which will give you rebalanced weapons.
* Monsters also have fully vanilla behavior. For example Arch-Vile now can resurrect gibbed monsters, and Spider-Mastermind shots at proper speed (although visually it shoots at higher speed, but that's just a purely visual effect).
* Most sprites have been redrawn. There are more variations and they look much better. There are
* Gibs have much improved and optimized physics and better sprites and effects.
* LOTS of new deaths. Including Decapitation death (when you deal more damage than needed for regular death but not enough to gib the monster), lots of regular deaths plus a CHAINSAW DEATH for all zombies.
* New footsteps code by The Zombie Killer.
* HD weapon pickup sprites and hi-res main item sprites.
* Lots of code optimization and bug fixes.
Last edited by Jekyll Grim Payne on Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 65 times in total.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.0

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:32 am

Updated to fix incorrect rocket hud sprite.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Postby Skrell » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:55 am

Just amazing! Please post more pics!!!
Skrell

Postby Zhs2 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:43 am

The fact that the keys are custominventory items breaks them to no end in multiplayer. Fix them back into keys and give them their respective key species pl0x :(
Zhs2
Power of three.

Postby Kombine » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:42 pm

Just played through a couple of maps from different WADs with this. The only major gripe I have so far is the weapons (mainly the SSG) seem to kick back the enemies farther than they should.
Other than that, I'm enjoying this mod. Looks like I have a nice alternative to Smooth Doom.
Kombine
Scream Bloody Gibs

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:39 am

Zhs2 wrote:The fact that the keys are custominventory items breaks them to no end in multiplayer. Fix them back into keys and give them their respective key species pl0x :(

I don't really play multiplayer much so the feedback about multiplayer bugs would be much appreciated. But do you know why exactly they don't work? These custom inventories give you the same keys, not different items. I thought they should work just fine.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Postby Vict » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:48 am

What's the cvar for disabling weapon smoke? The readme mentions it, but I can't find a key binding for it.
Vict

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:54 am

Vict wrote:What's the cvar for disabling weapon smoke? The readme mentions it, but I can't find a key binding for it.

Default bind is I (weapon effects and debris toggle) and it's not really a CVAR but a script (puke "Debris_Toggle"). But I just noticed something is wrong with it, i.e. it doesn't affect all the necessary stuff. I'm going to check and fix it right away.

UPD:

Wad updated. Now the debris toggle function should work fine and I also fixed the key definitions (they should work in multiplayer properly).

UPD:

Updated to 6.0.1. I think you'll like this.

* Fixed keys acting wrong in multiplayer
* Added BDoom_weapsounds WAD: if you don't use it, the weapons will have standard sounds.
* Fixed Debris Toggle function so that it properly affects all weapon
Jekyll Grim Payne

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.0.1

Postby Yutrzenika » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:54 am

Couple nitpicks I have: Not a huge fan of the the HD item pickup sprites, and even more nitpickier, the spent shells ejected from the SSG flying with each other and landing together right next to each other perfectly, no deviation or anything.

Aside from that, glad to see Beautiful Doom is back. Also, find it amusing that your trailer boasts 100% original Doom gameplay, while you show footage of you playing with mouselook.
Yutrzenika

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.0.1

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:06 am

Yutrzenika wrote:Couple nitpicks I have: Not a huge fan of the the HD item pickup sprites, and even more nitpickier, the spent shells ejected from the SSG flying with each other and landing together right next to each other perfectly, no deviation or anything.

Aside from that, glad to see Beautiful Doom is back. Also, find it amusing that your trailer boasts 100% original Doom gameplay, while you show footage of you playing with mouselook.

Well, mouselook is a feature of the port. If you really want to be nitpicky you should say that playing through ZDoom and derived ports cannot offer original gameplay at all by definition because many aspects of internal mechanics are different in the ports and in original Doom ;) Also it helps to point out that GZDoom is the most suited port. Trailer are never completely honest too, of course.

I would like to put HD sprites in a different wad so that people don't need to use them. But I cannot do that because they have to be defined in the weapons code and thus have to be present in the same wad as weapons, otherwise that would produce errors. I cannot replace original sprites with HD ones directly because they would show up in HUD taking huge amount of space unless you're using alternative hud (which not all people do).

You're right about SSG shells. Their falling location was varied but the variation was too low. I improved it a little. See below.

UPD:

Wad updated to 6.0.2
* Blood pools are now limited to the amount of 50. They start despawning starting from the earlies one when more appear. Helps to conserve memory.
* SSG shells falling position is more varied
* Some small fixes in weapons original/alternative sounds
Jekyll Grim Payne

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.0.2

Postby Slax » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:25 am

Dunno, man. More cluttered than beautiful.
Slax
Saucy.

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:29 am

Slax wrote:Dunno, man. More cluttered than beautiful.

I didn't really add anything except a few pickup sprites.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Postby Zhs2 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:22 am

Jekyll Grim Payne wrote:
Zhs2 wrote:The fact that the keys are custominventory items breaks them to no end in multiplayer. Fix them back into keys and give them their respective key species pl0x :(

I don't really play multiplayer much so the feedback about multiplayer bugs would be much appreciated. But do you know why exactly they don't work? These custom inventories give you the same keys, not different items. I thought they should work just fine.

In the sense that you can pick them up and they are added to your inventory, they do work. However, in multiplayer only one person can pick them up because after they are run over they are removed from the map - hence 'broken', because three different people can pick up three different keys and potentially become trapped behind doors they don't have keys to because they couldn't pick up the original items for themselves, if the levels are built in such a way.

I made the same exact personal edit (to BD_INV in BDoom_Objects.wad) in your last build of DBeauty up on idgames, but in the interest of making it official I'll include the code here. (I also had no idea you still existed to complain about this to!)
Spoiler: Key Decorate

Not huge changes, but a behavioral change that's much appreciated nonetheless!
Zhs2
Power of three.

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.0.3

Postby Kombine » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:08 pm

Another bug to report: The SSG primary fire uses 1 shell instead of 2 now.
Kombine
Scream Bloody Gibs

Re: Beautiful Doom 6.0.3

Postby Jekyll Grim Payne » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:42 am

Thanks a lot! I didn't know that this was how it worked. I'm fixing it right now.
Please check it out and let me know if it works now!

Kombine wrote:Another bug to report: The SSG primary fire uses 1 shell instead of 2 now.

You're right. That's very silly of me. I changed SSG code a little (that was in order to implement the use of both original and new sounds) and forgot to fix ammo
use.

I uploaded version 6.0.4.
Last edited by Jekyll Grim Payne on Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Next

Return to Gameplay Mods