Strange Aeons v5.7

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Strange Aeons v5.3.4

Post by Ed the Bat »

ImpieTwo wrote:Also uploading a separate download for Doom 2, which includes the correct textures from Ultimate Doom.
It would be more sensible to just use the filter system to make one project that works with both IWADs.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

I think the autogun would fit the gothic feel of this wad a little better than the AK. The AK-47's muzzle flash looks a bit dirty on the edges.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

I hate angled sprites though, cos they almost always look awkward. And that one would clash with the other sprites anyway 'cos they're all centered.
Ed the Bat wrote:
ImpieTwo wrote:Also uploading a separate download for Doom 2, which includes the correct textures from Ultimate Doom.
It would be more sensible to just use the filter system to make one project that works with both IWADs.
I don't know how to use the filter system though. Honestly didn't know there was one. I'm basically a noob when it comes to Decorate and such.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Want me to do it? Frankly the entire project is in need of proper structure. Just stuffing multiple WADs into a PK3 is bad for memory allocation, and doesn't let you take full advantage of the compress-ability of UDMF maps.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Yes, please! I'll take a look at the insides when it's done and maybe I can learn a thing or two.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Great, glad to help. I should have some free time for it before the weekend is over.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

And here it is!
I'm sorry to say, this actually increased the filesize by a couple meg, but it should run better now, especially for folks with less RAM in their systems. Also, I left the text lumps (DECORATE, SNDINFO, etc.) and info/credits files largely unsorted; they'll run just fine as they are, but feel free to organize them more cleanly as you wish.
Boomstick

Post by Boomstick »

whenever I try to play to this mod I get a message in the console saying "invalid ACS module"

no idea if it has to do with my sourceport but i'm using the latest GZDoom build.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Boomstick wrote:whenever I try to play to this mod I get a message in the console saying "invalid ACS module"

no idea if it has to do with my sourceport but i'm using the latest GZDoom build.
I never did weed out the source of that error. No idea what's causing it.

Thanks Ed! I'll give it a look later in the week.
ImpieTwo

Re: Strange Aeons v5.4

Post by ImpieTwo »

Version 5.4 is up! Thanks to Ed the Bat for compiling the pk3 to work with either version of Doom. Shouldn't have any compatability issues now.
Dr. Crowley
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Dr. Crowley »

Currently playing version 5.4 from the beginning in Zandro 3.0 and still can't see any compatibility issues at all - at least in the first episode. The only thing I became somewhat puzzled about while re-playing all maps is the weapon balance - despite we've been told that AK-47 is our main weapon, we are actually using shotgun much more often like in Doom. It's not a big problem for me - after all this mod is "Cthulhu Doom" - but damn.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Dr. Crowley wrote:Currently playing version 5.4 from the beginning in Zandro 3.0 and still can't see any compatibility issues at all - at least in the first episode. The only thing I became somewhat puzzled about while re-playing all maps is the weapon balance - despite we've been told that AK-47 is our main weapon, we are actually using shotgun much more often like in Doom. It's not a big problem for me - after all this mod is "Cthulhu Doom" - but damn.
Weird, I mostly use the AK47 because of the firing rate. I've found most of the new monsters are too aggressive to safely use the shotgun as the primary weapon, with some exceptions: the lion men are better dealt with using shotgun than AK because of their blocking ability.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

I like to switch between the two even if I have a lot of ammo despite having low amounts on one because I like to pretend that either the rifle or the shotgun got jammed.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

So I have been replaying this mod and I was reminded of an issue that I do not remember bringing up to you. I do not know if it is still relevant, since you seem to be done with the mod, but anyway.

In the first episode, green slime is not hazardous and you can walk on it without taking damage. However, this stops being true in the second episode, where green slime is hazardous again.

For the sake of consistency, should the non-hazardous green slime not be made brown in order to avoid confusion?
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

The damaging liquids are not consistent between episodes, but throughout each episode they are consistent. That's why water is painful in E4 -- where it's arctic cold -- and not the other episodes. It has less to do with texture and more with environment.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”