Strange Aeons v5.7

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
ImpieTwo

Re: Strange Aeons v5.5

Post by ImpieTwo »

I'm annoyed to discover that when playing the mod with Doom 2 the ending screens don't display: at least for episode 2 it just goes back to the credit screen, while in Ultimate Doom it shows the correct screen. Are any of the other ending screens displaying properly in Doom 2?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I didn't think this mod was even compatible with Doom 2?

That being said, if that was intended it's easy enough to import Ultimate Doom's mapinfo definitions and simply override them with your own so that they show the correct screen in both games.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Rachael wrote:I didn't think this mod was even compatible with Doom 2?

That being said, if that was intended it's easy enough to import Ultimate Doom's mapinfo definitions and simply override them with your own so that they show the correct screen in both games.
Someone else added the filters to the current version so it could be played with either. Do you know how to do the thing you suggested? 'Cos I'm totes ignoramus.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

ImpieTwo wrote:Do you know how to do the thing you suggested? 'Cos I'm totes ignoramus.
In your gameinfo section of MAPINFO add this line before the }:

Code: Select all

finalepage = "HELP2", "VICTORY2", "ENDPIC"
Attachments
strangeaeonsfix.zip
(3.79 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

On the same subject, there's also an issue with being unable to use idclev to skip levels if you use it with Doom 2 because the maps are labeled in EXMX format rather than MAPXX. Can I do something similar to fix that?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Ugh - I don't know exactly what's going on with that. I personally do not ever use idclev unless I am playing a vanilla emulation/source port that doesn't have a console.

You may have to ask Graf Zahl about this, but you may be stuck with it being the way it is.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

IDCLEV works like it was originally coded, it lacks the intelligence to interpret the map name.
How is it supposed to tell that 'idclev11' means E1M1 and not MAP11?
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Graf Zahl wrote:IDCLEV works like it was originally coded, it lacks the intelligence to interpret the map name.
How is it supposed to tell that 'idclev11' means E1M1 and not MAP11?
I realize all that, I just wondered if there was a way around it. But if everyone's using the console to level skip these days, I guess I don't need to worry about it.
ImpieTwo

Re: Strange Aeons v5.7

Post by ImpieTwo »

Update: Now that I know how to do custom intermissions, I finally got the episode ending screens to work whether you load it up in Doom or Doom 2.
Dr. Crowley
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Dr. Crowley »

Oh well, it is version 5.7 already. How about a changelog?
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Dr. Crowley wrote:Oh well, it is version 5.7 already. How about a changelog?
I lost it...
Korell

Post by Korell »

Does this still need d1gfxd2.wad if you want to play it with Doom 2? Or is it incorporated within the mod itself so no longer needed?
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Korell wrote:Does this still need d1gfxd2.wad if you want to play it with Doom 2? Or is it incorporated within the mod itself so no longer needed?
I believe it's been incorporated for some time now. A quick tour of E5M2 should confirm one way or another.
Korell

Post by Korell »

Just tried it with Doom 2 (without d1gfxd2.wad) and the sky in Episode 1 looked fine, and I played through E5M2 and saw no issues, so it all looks good.

Out of interest, is there any difference at all from the IWAD being used, whether it be Doom 1 or Doom 2? Just wondering if one or the other is better to use.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I believe Impie intentionally designed it so that it's IWAD-agnostic, i.e. you can use any Doom-related IWAD with it as long as it has at least the Doom 1 monsters included in it and all of the textures which Doom 1 and Doom 2 have in common. So you could run it with TNT.wad for example. Not 100% sure about Freedoom.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”