Strange Aeons v5.7

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
ImpieTwo

Re: Strange Aeons v3.6

Post by ImpieTwo »

Finally got some feedback and made a number of changes.

- HOM issues resulting from missing textures. Fixed.

- E4M7 replaced with a smaller outdoor map. Not sure if it's an improvement yet, though.

- New secret added to an early Episode 4 map.

- Graphical error in Yithian Lightning Gun animation fixed.

- Other tweaks I already forgot.
ImpieTwo

Re: Strange Aeons v3.7

Post by ImpieTwo »

Another update, partly based on new feedback, partly based on me revisiting old feedback.

- Intermission graphics changed for episodes 1 and 4.

- Death Incarnates have a projectile attack instead of hitscan.

- New status bar!

- Actual title menu graphic that says "Strange Aeons"!

- Map fixes such as slimetrails in the new E4M7, areas where player could get trapped, missing weapons, etc.
BFG

Post by BFG »

We need more mods based on the work of H P Lovecraft. I am loving the heck out of this one.
Legend

Post by Legend »

This is very cool. The atmosphere is quite unsettling. I love the effect of falling off the edge in episode 1. I also dig the use of Chasm: The Rift textures.

What is the starting pistol supposed to be. It's a kinda odd graphic. Not terribly fond of it, though it does add a bit to the strange eldritch atmosphere.
ImpieTwo

Re: Strange Aeons v3.8

Post by ImpieTwo »

Version 3.8 is out!

- Many level tweaks, such as the number of Dholes on E4M4 reduced to 1.
- Spiderbabies fire once instead of thrice
- Ghouls are a bit more accurate with their shooting.
- Airport map has the air traffic control tower effect restored.
- Other stuff.
Average

Post by Average »

So glad to see the continued tweaking of this project. I haven't had much free time of late and even less to give useful feedback in this thread but rest assured I love this thing. Thanks for your all your hard work. :)
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Average wrote:So glad to see the continued tweaking of this project. I haven't had much free time of late and even less to give useful feedback in this thread but rest assured I love this thing. Thanks for your all your hard work. :)
When you do find time, tell me absolutely everything! Anything that helps me refine it further.
ImpieTwo

Re: Strange Aeons v3.9

Post by ImpieTwo »

Version 3.9 is up. I tweaked some E3 and E4 maps, and removed a projectile sound effect I found annoying and off-putting. Of note are the changes to E4M5, since I had the wrong ambient sound for the exit teleporter: between that and the lack of an exit sign, the exit wasn't as obvious as I'd have liked. Now it is (hopefully).
Legend

Post by Legend »

This is quite a nice adventure. Having a lot of fun with it. The music selection is great and the overall atmosphere is just awesome.

The monster choices are very nice and work well with the setting.

For the life of me I can't figure out how to get the last secret in e1m2. Any hints? I found the blue armor and chainsaw secrets. I found a little green button on the outside of the house but cannot seem to figure out what it does.

Footstep sounds would have been a nice touch.

What the heck is the pistol supposed to be though?! I think a more traditional or old fashined pistol or revolver would have fit a little better.
ReedtheStrange

Post by ReedtheStrange »

The floating island levels in the first episode remind me of an autumny and otherworldy place I used to daydream about as a teenager, but less orange.
ImpieTwo

Re: Strange Aeons v4.0

Post by ImpieTwo »

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Legend wrote:For the life of me I can't figure out how to get the last secret in e1m2. Any hints? I found the blue armor and chainsaw secrets. I found a little green button on the outside of the house but cannot seem to figure out what it does.
It's a bit more obscure than the others. You might try retracing your steps after pushing it. :wink:
Legend wrote: Footstep sounds would have been a nice touch.
I agree, and Chasm totally has them...but they tend to get annoying when they're used in mods, so I thought better of it.
Legend wrote: What the heck is the pistol supposed to be though?! I think a more traditional or old fashined pistol or revolver would have fit a little better.
I made it a weird futurey pistol to leave the time period in question. I like to think it takes place in an alternate history.

Version 4.0 is out, with a ton of fixes, courtesy of Skepticist being nice enough to playtest and give lots of feedback in email form.

- E1M5's starting island wasn't high enough to keep the devils from walking on the void. Fixed.

- E1M7's shootable switch is lower for people who prefer not to use mouselook.

- Shadow Beast wraiths used to inflate the monster count at the intermission screen, as did the unkillable skeletons, and the fake spiders in the E1M9 secret area. Fixed.

- E2M1 had a bookshelf in a secret sector that was also tagged as a secret sector, making 100% secrets impossible. Fixed.

- E2M2's final devil ambush doesn't work due to my own stupid oversight, resulting in either an underwhelming monster count, or none at all. Fixed.

- Misaligned texture fixed in E2M6.

- Hidden sectors in E3M2 tagged as hidden so they don't show on the map.

- E4M8 boss battle breaks sometimes, making the boss unkillable. Hopefully fixed.

Known Bugs That Still Exist

- Mutant Sphere makes 100% items impossible on the intermission, though the (g)zdoom hud still counts it. This is actually a zdoom issue that should be fixed in the latest devbuild.

- A couple sectors in E4M1 and E4M7 have transparent sections for some reason. Skep said he fixed it by redrawing the sector, but I haven't been able to reproduce this one either way. Might be a bug in the current gzdoom build; definitely haven't seen it in zdoom.
ImpieTwo

Re: Strange Aeons v4.1

Post by ImpieTwo »

I'm still an idiot apparently. Forgot to add one of the fixes on the To Do list: an HOM on the exit stairs of E4M5. Version 4.1 is up already, only a couple hours after 4.0! Such professionalism!
_mental_

Re: Strange Aeons v4.0

Post by _mental_ »

ImpieTwo wrote:- A couple sectors in E4M1 and E4M7 have transparent sections for some reason. Skep said he fixed it by redrawing the sector, but I haven't been able to reproduce this one either way. Might be a bug in the current gzdoom build; definitely haven't seen it in zdoom.
It's most like a bug in hardware renderer. However you can fix this issue yourself by checking each vertex of effected sectors and removing a fractional part of coordinates if non-zero.
For example, on E4M1 Y position of vertex 338 is 3190.154. Change it to 3190 and the missing section will appear.
ImpieTwo

Re: Strange Aeons v4.1

Post by ImpieTwo »

Oh, cool, thanks for the tip. Problem is, I dunno where else this effect appears -- it's likely not limited to those sectors. Might fix these two for the 4.2 build at least.

Speaking of, 4.1 issues I'm gonna fix later:

- Exit teleporter of E4M6 is flagged as a normal Doom secret sector (not the udmf tag, hence why I couldn't find it); as a result, there is an unattainable secret on that map.
- Secret area of E2M9 has two modes of access due to a slight oversight on my part. Gonna fix that, too.
ImpieTwo

Re: Strange Aeons v4.2

Post by ImpieTwo »

Version 4.2 is out, with still more map fixes. Unless another major issue comes up, this will be the final release: play to your heart's content.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”