[WIP] Hungarian Warfare v0.7 demo

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
XCVG

Re: Hungarian Warfare (v0.3 beta demo)

Post by XCVG »

I played the first few levels and was pleasantly surprised. The thread didn't really inspire confidence but what I saw was quite good. The visual style is what struck me immediately- it's a pleasant melding of Wolfenstein, Doom, and ZDoom. Gameplay was good, too. It required some exploration and running around but it wasn't an impossible to solve maze, and the action was quick and satisfying.

Of course, it's not perfect. It had some issues, some bigger than others. The biggest and most obvious is the sound effects. Most of them absolutely terrible- there's no other way to describe it. They sound like they were recorded in the early 90s with equipment that was bad in 1990, then compressed to hell and back. The voices especially are garbled and unintelligible. The hybrid Wolf-Doom style kind of fell away after MAP03, which I found a bit disappointing. The weapons are a mixed bag. The pistols look bad but function fairly well, the auto rifle has recoil effects that none of the other guns do, and the shotguns are useless. The shotgun is too slow and the super shotgun has too much spread.

How many levels are there so far? I feel that 30 maps is too much for this wad- it will become stale and tedious. This mod has fast action and a quick pace, so keep it short and sweet. Eight-level episodes would be a better choice than fifteen-level ones.

This is a promising mod. Keep going with it.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Nice efforts indeed! However I fail to see what makes this mod "Hungarian". I am a Hungarian, I lived here in my whole life, and I believe you could add a little more "Ungarische" feeling to this mod. Wolfenstein 3-D was very good because it could reflect that German feeling - not to mention the sequels Spear Resurrection and Spear: End of Destiny. I'd suggest to spice it up a little bit, if that's possible.

My ideas would be the following:

- First of all, a well-built story is the foundation of everything. I mean, you really should give a reason to the players why should they complete the game, what's the main objective, what is it all about. Games without a proper plot or build-up gets blunt and forgettable very quickly. Correct me, if I'm wrong, but a storyline which consists merely of "go there and kill things" is highly insufficient.
- Hungarian food for health restore. BJ Blazkowicz stuffed his tummy with chicken leg and taters, the hero of this mod should grab goulash, potato stew (paprikáskrumpli), or fisherman's soup. Dog food can be replaced with somlói.
- If this mod is about Hungary, you should use Hungarian weapons. P-9RC for pistol, AK-63 for machinegun, Cheetah "Gepárd" rifle for sniper weapon, and RPG-7 for rocketlauncher. Energy weapons are also fine, after all, Hungary supplied the world with tons of inventors. Picking up an energy weapon later and describing it as "Kanifaszi Guszti has invented the Plasma Blaster 3000" is a fine way to put it.
- Background music should be Hungarian made songs. If you don't want to use copyrighted MP3, then use MIDIs. I have tons of.
- Wall textures and decorations should have Hungarian style quilting maybe (matyó hímzés), as well as Hungarian styled house interiors and facades. Fences too.
- Enemies should utter Hungarian phrases, if they will be Hungarian. Just like the evil SS shouts "Schutzstaffel!!!" when they see you in Wolfenstein 3-D and its predecessors. Sure, they later talk in English, but still retain some of the German dialect.
"It's ze Amerikaner!!!"
- Hide some nice Hungarian-style Easter Eggs in-game :) it's fun to discover references and pop-cult stuff about my own country in games :)
Orka

Post by Orka »

It feels really good to read these comments! Thanks you guys, so much! :)
..First to be honest, the making of this stuff will be longer - and here comes the usual story :D -because of the school... So I think, I will need more time than I imagined that.
Second... Reactor! Your ideas are really awesome, but as you can see I am not a real spriter (the most of my works are crappy mixes and recolorations). My skills are limited BUT I don't mean that I won't try it. Of course I will! As I said, I need more time than I imagined. If someone can help me then it's OK.
The background music? Don't you like it? :D
Once I had an idea that I should remake the hungarian anthem, but then I thought that maybe It will cause troubles (for example: "Oh my god! You just ruined the hungarian anthem...", "Poor Ferenc Kölcsey has nightmares!" bla-bla-bla) I don't want any troubles.
Hungarian styled music? Hmmm... I can't really make hungarian styled music... but what's hungarian style? :D
Oh! And about the quality of the sounds... I wanted to make this crappy because of the DOS-feeling. If everything is new in a game, then - I think - it's not so good.
Spoiler:
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

No probs :) If I see some "ze potentialz" in a mod, I'll gladly assist it with everything I can. If you shall need more time to think up a story,then sure, it's fine, you're in no hurry - just make sure the story is completed once the game is released.
As for sprites, well, you don't have to be a spriter at all. I have literally tons of resources, and if you happen to need a specific sprite to be done (maybe a bowl of somlói or such), I can do it easily.
Same goes for wall textures and fences - I have thousands of walltypes and fences. They are not Hungary-themed alright, still, a mod theme is irrelevant for a good earth or brickwall texture. And besides, since English is the most popular language spoken, it's a very good idea to use maybe English-languaged signs and such, since Hungarian language is extremely different, an English player won't understand "VIGYÁZZ! AKNÁK!", but a Hungarian player can easily understand "WARNING! MINES!".

So far the background music is good, I was referring to you should use more and more :) If I may recommend, use typical folk-songs, for instance, Mc Hawer tracks, these are very close to the once-upon-a-time folk music, and are very popular. Titles like "jajj de jó, jajj de finom" or "elment Lidi néni a vásárba, csuhalja" are masterpieces :D but you can also use for instance, Edda. You don't actually need to compose them, there are lots of MIDIs like this. I remember, the song titled "Forogj világ" even made it into a Wolfenstein 3-D mod.
I have no problem with sound quality, if it's intentionally poor.
Orka

Post by Orka »

Thank you Reactor! :) It would be really good if you can help me. Then I should put you in the credits.
I promised that I will release the 0.4 version of the mod... I uploaded it but it's not so edited as I promised. :(
gerolf

Post by gerolf »

This looks interesting! Can't wait to try it out.
Orka

Post by Orka »

Dear forumers!
Something happened to my mod and I feel like it's a sign... I should stop making it. Some sprites disappears on the maps for some weird reason. I didn't touch the maps for a month so it can be a virus or I don't know but the avast! should tell me if it contains virus so it's interesting... It happened twice and I could solve the problem with remaking the glitchy part of the map at the first time. It's so tiring to do everything again... I'm sick of that something must happen with it... If someone would like to use from it something or remake or finish it then feel free to do! I'm sorry... I can't bear it anymore... Maybe if I get a better computer I can start something... but now It's just wasting everyone's time... I'm done! I'm really sorry!
Thank you for supporting me and now for understanding me!
Houruck

Post by Houruck »

It is a pity. I must admit I have not tried this mod so far, but I was looking forward to it as a fellow Hungarian.
Oberron
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Oberron »

Enemies could speak in English with a Hungarian dialect, though.
Orka

Re: [WORK PAUSED] Hungarian Warfare v0.4 (Look at the 2nd pa

Post by Orka »

While this project is paused I was boring... while I was boring I did random stuffs.
There is a little tasty screenshot from another mod I started:
Spoiler:
I know it's a little bit Max Payne-ish. But it seems cool! Right?
I have a story. Our little unnamed hero wakes up in a hidden laboratory. He is a test subject at the moment and he will get some new drugs to see the effects of it. Somehow he get out from the testing room and he takes a guard's gun. Now what's next? Look for the resource of the drug and destroy it?
Hmmm... Still Max Payne-ish...
I just want to make something else more realistic. Not demons, mech-armors or plasma guns... teleportation...
Anyway, if you wanna see more screenshots from this little work then pm me or something like that.

HW will be continued when I get a new computer... because I will get but it didn't arrive yet.
UnTrustable

Post by UnTrustable »

SmarineS wrote:HW will be continued when I get a new computer... because I will get but it didn't arrive yet.
Glad you didnt abandoned this project.
Was it indeed a virus thing or...? a map glitch?
Despite the fact that im very busy with real life issues, im still watching this topic closely.
Same with some other (Wolf-releated) topics :wub:
Orka

Post by Orka »

I think there are map glitches. If there were viruses then maybe the avast! would tell me what's the situation... But maybe the avast! is a little bit untrustable. :D
So the map glitches are the only things what can knock me out in working. Once I had a problem on the 2nd map but I solved it somehow fortunately.
Now the 3rd map is kidding with me... :( somewhere at the 2nd security robot.
I don't know:
- Should I try to fix this part of the map?
or
- Remake the whole map?
cocka

Post by cocka »

- Should I try to fix this part of the map?
What do you need to fix on that map?
UnTrustable

Post by UnTrustable »

SmarineS wrote: - Should I try to fix this part of the map?
or
- Remake the whole map?
that depends on what is really the problem.
I sometimes have had map bleedings, while they were impossible to be in it.
because months and months the said map worked flawless, and suddenly some software editor
screwed a map PART... without that it was even possible...
In the worse case scenario i had to re-do the whole map, fortunnaly in my case, i could copy the said map of
a earlier version and paste it right over, which saved me alot of time....

Im not sure you have the same luck as me...?

Its just that im so freakin' busy with other real-life issues, otherwise i would help you out instantly.
printz

Post by printz »

SmarineS wrote:Cocka!
Spoiler:
From what Google Translate tells me, are you gonna put this in the Buda castle or maybe in the Parliament?

I hope this thing ends up looking more like Doom/Strife than like Wolfenstein, though.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”