[MOD] Final NeoDoom

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [MOD] Final NeoDoom

Postby jdredalert » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:31 am

It's always good to see you around here daniel. Welcome back!
jdredalert
Doom, until the end.

Postby Ribo Zurai » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:49 am

Daniel made a new mod? Did I just go back in time?! :o

Can't wait to try this one out once I get home. :D
Ribo Zurai

Postby Daniel » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:04 pm

Hi again,

Thanks for the warm welcome! Hope this mod may bring some moments of fun for everyone.

Here follows an image with the hub system of this mod. Let's see who can find all the levels:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daniel

Postby Cryomundus » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:38 pm

A few things so far..

-I think the flashlight is supposed to have a dynamic light attached to the dot it emits, but it doesn't emit any light. The rifle has a red dot with small dynamic light, so I know what you're trying to do.

Map 03 has a HOM, in the spoiler. It's kinda hard to actually spot unless you actually look for it. I'm running a flashlight mod with this out of pure habit, so I noticed it due to that.

Spoiler:

The weapon sprites are a tad janky, but I can overlook that thanks to how versatile the weapons are. I initially thought the shotty was crap till I realized I could load multiple shells, letting me oneshot a lot of the beefier monsters. Really, all the weapons I've found so far have been really nice to use.

I was still completely shocked when the pistol zombie STOLE my pistol. I wasn't even aware that was a thing you could do in Zdoom/GZdoom, that's pretty neat! The only thing I could say is that when its stolen, maybe show a message telling the player what happened? As in "A Pistol Zombie stole your pistol, GO KICK HIS ASS!" or something. Otherwise, it kinda looks like something broke if someone isn't paying attention...

I do, however, love the powerup timers. Seriously, that is absolutely wonderful and really, really handy. Though, I have no idea what the power sphere does. Might be a speed up? No idea, honestly.

Edit: Also, you can quickly exit from map04 if you stand right where the switch would be on top of you. I think there's a way to have switches only be triggered in you're on the right plane or something like that.
Cryomundus

Postby Daniel » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:36 pm

Hi Cryomundus,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll take a note of the bugs and fix it in a future release. I'm finding some too, such as the stucked Cacodemons in MAP03 on medium skill. About the flashlight bug, I couldn't find it.

The pistol zombie is not the only that steals your stuff: the missile zombie steals (and use) bottles, and the railgun zombie steals the energy shield. They cannot steal you anymore after you get the Backpack - the first that appears is on MAP06 or so.

The weapons aren't intended to be "top-line" ones: they're just functional in gameplay and fit better with the overall changes (monsters, items, other sprites, etc.). Each weapon will be more useful in specific moments of the maps. Some monsters are resistent to fire, and others only die with fire (in case, the flamethrower). I don't pretend to change or improve any weapon, since this is not a weapon mod. Also, there isn't any bugs on them: DECORATE is working perfectly, just like they are conceived.

The power sphere gives you more speed, fist strength, higher jumps and less damage from attacks. It's a general physical power-up.
Daniel

Postby Cryomundus » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:00 pm

I was more referring to the weapon sprites, I'm actually ok with the general power of the weapons. Feels a loooot better than the original Neodoom's lineup. Really the 2 weapons sprites that I dislike are the Doom3 pistol and the Duke Nukem shotty, in terms of style-wise, they kinda don't mesh really well with the rest of the lineup. But, that's more of a personal opinion, and has hardly stopped me from using the duke shotty. The pistol is entirely forgettable, but that's almost a given with a doom-like lineup, the pistol is almost always left in the dust. I do like the fact that you can punch when you have it out. In fact, I love the fact that all the weapons have altfires.

Oh yeah, speaking of alt-fires, with the rifle and the rocket launcher, I think there's a way to have it only accept the one button press, even if you hold it down. It's rather touchy atm, as it rapidly swaps back and forth. Especially with the rifle, yeesh. Still very handy tho.

Spoiler:
Last edited by Cryomundus on Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cryomundus

Postby Daniel » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:29 pm

Ok! Thank you for your valuable bug report. I'm taking notes :wink:
Daniel

Postby Cryomundus » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:05 pm

Oh, one last thing. Put some kind of visual identification by the keycard doors, so players will know what goes where. No one really refers to the auto-map for keycards, and even then, it's kinda hard to tell if you've gotten the right key card.

Speaking of key cards, the light blue keycard is really, really close in color to the blue keycard, so much so that I've mistaken each other for the opposite (lightblue for the blue, blue for the lightblue, that sorta thing.)
Last edited by Cryomundus on Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cryomundus

Postby Doomguy 2000 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:06 pm

Ok now I'm finally doing better since I now know that zombies can take your pistol thanks to the replies to this thread. I can now actually go back to enjoying your wad.
Doomguy 2000
Τηε Λεγενδ

Postby merlin86 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:40 pm

Yup, that's a Daniel mod wich IMHO is fantastic as always.

Heck, I still play in co-op with my friends with ARSENAL.wad and Plutonia Experiment (just removed a bogus DECORATE item (maybe its decorate is too old for newer Zdoom, SBARINFO and MAPINFO)

Anyway, since this is the last mod for Daniel:
Spoiler:
merlin86
Somewhere between supercazzola and quintana

Discord: LuciferSam#7338
Twitch ID: LuciferSam86
Github ID: LuciferSam86
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Trooper 077 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:46 pm

I would be careful with what stones you throw Doomguy
Trooper 077
Problem Solver

Postby Doomguy 2000 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:21 pm

Trooper 077 wrote:I would be careful with what stones you throw Doomguy

That's why I deleted part of my first post because I actually felt bad about it. I guess I should of waited for more replies before jumping to conclusions.
Doomguy 2000
Τηε Λεγενδ

Postby irukanjji » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:27 pm

Awesome mod, thanks m8
irukanjji

Postby The Ultimate DooMer » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:40 am

Played the first hub so far, and it's everything a non-TC ZDoom mapset should be - loads of features but still Doomy, loads of monsters but nothing too strong or out of place, loads of weapons with interesting ways to use them, same with the items. And it's one of the few mapsets I've seen that uses a lot of ambient sounds for atmosphere. It's also neat how you can return to the previous maps to collect stuff, and how the 3D floors interact with gameplay.

Only faults really are the huge amounts of ammo (particularly given the weapon count), the first map being a bit on the tough side without a shotgun (full load of shells present in it also gives the impression there's one around) and the powerups making things a bit too easy after a while. (I started avoiding them after the first 3 maps)

Overall it's been far too long without a mapset like this coming out, it's a fine example of how to do it without making a full TC with cartoony graphics. (nothing wrong with the latter ofc but they're not exactly easy to make compared to something more Doom-ish)
The Ultimate DooMer
Will you start the fans please!

Postby TheUnbeholden » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:46 am

I haven't played the original, and the only city like maps I've played is Hellbound, Hellfire, Dawn of Reality, Urban Slaughter and Voodoo Guns. But this is pretty great, except for the mini-saw, its practically useless for killing anything besides the 2 default zombies and the default imp, and the chainsaw zombie is hilariously stupid looking in how he homes in on you (don't really like the dodge move on the baron either). Zombies saying "watch out" is pretty out of place. ChaingunMajor tries to hump you forever when you get to close. Thats weird and hilarious especially the sound he makes... then annoying. Then facepalm. Rocketzombie could use a new firing sound and I also think the half-life door opening sound is way to bad quality here, probably should get something better.. You forgot to make the rocketzombie run away when he gets to close to you, right now he just sort of tries to walk away and then walks upto you forever.. use A_changeflag("frightened", 1) with 2 or 3 times more frames in A_Chase(0,0). Biotoxin cannon primary attack should either be considerable beefed up or get rid of the primary and use its alternate attack as its primary. I think we can learn from the mistake in Unreal.. its been 16-17 years afterall :D

Everything else is top notch. Except for the first 4 levels, they are pretty bad introduction, unmemorable, probably should have been cut down to 3 and less big rooms and more atmospheric areas. City areas are definitely my type of thing, I'll have to play more to get more of a feel but so far apart from those annoying coding imbalances/mistakes in some enemies, 2 weapons that feel useless, and some matters of personal preference, I'd say its shaping up to be a good mapset if you change the design of the first few levels.
Last edited by TheUnbeholden on Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheUnbeholden

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects