Laz Rojas' WolfenDoom for ZDoom [v1.32]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Re: [Release] Laz Rojas' WolfenDoom for ZDoom

Post by NightFright »

I should also thank you, osj. The weapon sprites you made really rock. I used them several times to replace the original weapons (and also in order to create some kind of consistency throughout the addon pack).

My personal highlight would actually be Second Encounter. Its changelog already reveals that massive amount of work went into this, and funny enough, it was the one I did last because I didn't expect it to be that much work. SE gains a considerable boost in atmosphere by the added ZDoom effects (especially in MAP01 and MAP32), the story screens and map fixes.

In general, for me it was important that all of these addons finally got some kind of ingame story - even if it was only at the end of the mission so you learned about what you had actually accomplished. It is something that wasn't in the originals, but I always tried to base the content of the texts on the readme files somehow.
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

NightFright wrote:You have two options: Either you update your GZDoom files or you open the PK7s (with 7-Zip) and delete gameinfo.lmp. That file is not essential for running any addon.
Are you sure about this? I deleted the file and 2 things happened - the pk7 would load (according to the console) but nothing happens, you just get the regular IWAD stuff. Extracting original.wad and original_fix.wad does make it load properly, but the enemies are just like in Doom (mutants with imp fireballs etc.) and not like Wolf 3D as the text file says.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

You need to make sure to
- run this with a ZDoom or GZDoom snapshot dated Dec 2014 or newer
- use doom2.wad as IWAD (as these are all Doom Ii mods)
- either load the PK7 as a whole OR (if you want to extract files from the PK7) the original PWAD first, then the fix WAD. Sequence is important.

Gameinfo does two things:
- Assigns doom2.wad as IWAD to use (matters if you just drag & drop the PK7 onto ZDoom exe without using a launcher like ZDL or if you don't want to use the integrated IWAD selector from ZDoom itself)
- Adds PWAD title to ZDoom launch window

It usually just contains two lines:
iwad = "doom2.wad"
startuptitle = "<mod title>"

I do not know why you have these issues, everything runs fine when I check it.
Lord_Kane

Post by Lord_Kane »

There seems to be a bug with lost episodes, the keys flash between a super large version of the wolfenstein keys and doom keys.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

NightFright wrote:I should also thank you, osj. The weapon sprites you made really rock. I used them several times to replace the original weapons (and also in order to create some kind of consistency throughout the addon pack).
Would it be possible to replace the Luger/MP40 in the packs with the same ones used in Original/Nocturnal missions? That Luger and MP40 sprite are the best I've seen. I suppose I could do it myself by switching out the sprites between the packs. Also the MP44-Shotgun-Rifle-whatever is a bit strange. Single fire shotgun spread rifle shaped gun? These are my only real complaints, that and being unable to skip the intromaps without a quick IDCLEV01.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

The visual problem with keys in Lost Episodes has been fixed. Either download the whole pack again or get SoD: The Lost Episodes v1.11 (4.1 MB) here separately. Thanks for reporting this! (You shouldn't need to start a new game for the fix to take effect, btw. It's just a replacement for graphics, no code changes.)

I won't replace weapons in any other addons. Main reasons: Lack of time and consistency. Original Missions, Nocturnal Missions, Spear of Destiny and Second Encounter only had the standard range of Wolfenstein weapons. Laz Rojas' own addons have more and use Doomguy hands. Graphics from osj and blox use different hands, and mixing both styles would look really bad ingame. Creating new versions with the same hands everywhere would have been too much effort. That's why I left everything the way it was. (I made a small effort to put the edited Doom pistol from CeeJay's pack together with Doomguy hands into Treasure Hunt, but afaik that was the only time I did it because Laz used the original Doom pistol there and that really looked out of place.)
As for the intros - unfortunately I don't know any way to skip them (e.g. with a hotkey), even though that would actually come in handy, I have to admit.

In general, I don't intend to add more features to this collection, but any remaining problems will be addressed (if found and reported).
Last edited by NightFright on Tue May 12, 2015 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Er......the zombie soldiers in original missions episode 2 don't drop ammo.......

Fairly certain they're supposed to drop some ammo....
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Well, Laz used the Doom imp to be replaced by the mutant. Since the imp never dropped ammo, the mutant didn't, either (even though it did in original Wolf3D). I consequently kept it like that. However, since I used DECORATE for the mutant to make it bleed purple anyway, it's not a big deal to add the dropitem line.

Redownload the pack from the first post to have mutants drop ammo clips in the following packs:
Original Missions
Nocturnal Missions
Spear of Destiny
Second Encounter

I won't do this anywhere else, only for these for "nostalgia" purposes.

In the meantime, I found one more minor issue with Lost Episodes: In SBARINFO, the keys had minimally different positions in the automap, so they would jump 1px to the left in the statusbar when opening the automap (and back when closing it). This fix is included as well if you redownload the pack (or redownload the single file from previous post since I also updated the file there).

To summarize the May 12 changes:
[Lost Episodes] Keys now properly replaced (were too big and showed Doom keycards while flashing)
[Lost Episodes] SBARINFO glitch fixed (statusbar keys moving 1px to the left on automap)
[Original Missions] [Nocturnal Missions] [Spear of Destiny] [Second Encounter] Mutants now drop pistol clips like in the original game
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

NightFright wrote:Well, Laz used the Doom imp to be replaced by the mutant. Since the imp never dropped ammo, the mutant didn't, either (even though it did in original Wolf3D). I consequently kept it like that. However, since I used DECORATE for the mutant to make it bleed purple anyway, it's not a big deal to add the dropitem line.

Redownload the pack from the first post to have mutants drop ammo clips in the following packs:
Original Missions
Nocturnal Missions
Spear of Destiny
Second Encounter

I won't do this anywhere else, only for these for "nostalgia" purposes.

In the meantime, I found one more minor issue with Lost Episodes: In SBARINFO, the keys had minimally different positions in the automap, so they would jump 1px to the left in the statusbar when opening the automap (and back when closing it). This fix is included as well if you redownload the pack (or redownload the single file from previous post since I also updated the file there).

To summarize the May 12 changes:
[Lost Episodes] Keys now properly replaced (were too big and showed Doom keycards while flashing)
[Lost Episodes] SBARINFO glitch fixed (statusbar keys moving 1px to the left on automap)
[Original Missions] [Nocturnal Missions] [Spear of Destiny] [Second Encounter] Mutants now drop pistol clips like in the original game
Then this was a gameplay balance issue with Wolfendoom. You start running into serious ammo starvation if the mutants don't drop clips.....

thank you for fixing that though.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

NightFright wrote:Regarding Treasure Hunt:
In the original addon, guards had no dying sound at all
What? Yes they did. They used DSPODTH1 and DSPODTH2. Redownload the original mod and run it in something not ZDoom-related (I used PRBoom) to confirm.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

For some reason, some sounds in this addon didn't play back for me when I tried (with ZDoom at least).

Well, it's not a drama if it stays the way it is now. Shouldn't have any considerable impact on the gameplay experience if original Wolf3D sounds are used. After all, I changed many sounds throughout this collection, and this one is actually a very subtle one.
EffinghamHuffnagel

Post by EffinghamHuffnagel »

You're actually both right. The original release of Treasure Hunt in 1997 had a lot of corrupted sound files, including the Guards' death sounds. These weren't fixed until the file's re-release in 1999. Since a lot of his included sounds were also intentionally silenced/blanked, it could be hard to determine whether there was supposed to be a sound or not.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

If I wanted to play all of these in the "right" order as far as story/lore goes, what order would it be? I'm gonna replay all of this soon I hope and I want to play them in the right order. About as much as I know is Original Missions, Nocturnal Missions, and then Spear of Destiny. After that, I don't know the right order. :?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Portal before Astrostein :)
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

If you stick to the file creation date, a sequence like this could make sense:

Eisenmann (1997)
Treasure Hunt (1997)
Totenhaus (1997)
Portal (1997)
Astrostein (1998/1999)
Astrostein 2 (1998)
Astrostein 3 (1998)
Halten Sie! (1999)
Rheingold Ep.1+2 (1999)
Arctic Wolf (2002/2003)

The only addons with story consistency are Portal+Astrostein 1-3 and both Rheingold episodes. The rest are somewhat standalones and have nothing to do with each other.

Second Encounter is basically another approach to Original and Nocturnal Missions, so possibly put that before Spear of Destiny.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”