Laz Rojas' WolfenDoom for ZDoom [v1.32]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Version 1.32 released

Post by armymen12002003 »

NightFright wrote:Finally managed to get it right. If anybody wants to know how I did it: I basically checked all the maps for things outside of playable areas and converted them to ambient sounds. This way they shouldn't count towards monster kills any longer. Ambient sounds should still sound pretty much the same as it did with the old system (in some cases even better since obviously the Mancubi/Hitler Ghosts didn't really provide any sounds before I changed that). Hans Grosse bosses now also won't end the level any more once killed, but drop golden keys instead which should make MAP30 and MAP32 work as intended. For this purpose I had to delete the boss code from DEHACKED and recreate it in DECORATE as faithfully as possible with an additional drop.

Changelog v1.32
- Original Missions: 100% kills now possible on all maps (monsters as sound sources replaced)
- Nocturnal Missions: 100% kills now possible on all maps (monsters as sound sources replaced); fix for Hans Grosse boss not dropping golden key
can you do the same with 2nd encounter regarding sounds?
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Re: Laz Rojas' WolfenDoom for ZDoom [v1.32]

Post by NightFright »

They used monsters as sound sources there, too? Geez.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

NightFright wrote:They used monsters as sound sources there, too? Geez.
Yea they did
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Let's hope it's the last one. Searching through all the maps, identifying monsters used as sound sources, replacing and defining them properly is a tiresome task.

*EDIT*
I am checking all the addons and realize this is pretty much everywhere. Under the given circumstances I guess it's much easier if I just put a -COUNTKILL flags on all monster actors that are exclusively (ab)used as sound sources since otherwise this will take forever. It will also avoid doing any further map edits or sound redefinitions.
CantSleep

Post by CantSleep »

Good stuff. I did some minor/major improvements to some of the mods, check your PMs to take a look.
Curunir
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Curunir »

Is there any chance someone maybe does a DOS sound replacer?

I need my SPION!

Apart from that, ace work! All the angular simulated lighting looks great! I'm always very short on ammo too, but that could be me.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Was playing Halten Sie! with Nazis! when I fought a couple of bosses. Wondering why I was whiffing my shots at point blank range. Decided to check their radius with the RadiusDebug tool.
They're also hitting me instantly the moment they see me, no time to dodge or even take cover. Made the usual Wolfenstein rhythm of shooting them before taking cover completely broken.

Also found another radius broken entity in Astrostein.

Got myself stuck here after pressing a button, second map I think. Glitch or feature?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... -21-57.mp4
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

For the next two weeks I am without access to my PC, so unfortunately I am not able to check anything before.

What I know is that I used DECORATE to enhance already dehacked enemies. Years ago that seemed to work, but more recent GZDoom releases may have changed that. I haven't played any of the mods again for years, so it is possible quite a few things are broken now which used to work fine before.

A complete review of the entire collection may eventually be required.
Phredreeke

Post by Phredreeke »

If so I hope a solution could be found in regards to the scale of enemies and player relative to the environment.
Luktom101

Post by Luktom101 »

Hey there, great job with Wolfendoom. Its really a great TC, very playable, especially with modified sound's for the enemies and better weapons sprites, i really like them, they are soo much more satisfying to use now. Do you think you could also update sound's for the Spear Of Destiny, just like you did with Original and Nocturnal episodes?
I mean, it feels kinda off and backwards, when you move, to Spear, after completing all six episodes and from some kind of reason i really like when they call me "Schweinhund"
Also i noticed that Gretel Grosse at the end of "Trail of a madman" dosen't drop a key and she's has waaay to less HP point's. It Makes her weaker than a guard.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Most of the bosses must have broken with some ZDoom/GZDoom update since 2015. I played through all of this back in the days and everything worked fine. By now it seems my strategy of editing already altered dehacked actors via decorate no longer works and breaks balancing completely. Until I have the time to fix all of this, you are better off using a port version from 2015. It's not a solution I suggest easily since I hate using old versions by myself, but playability just suffers too much with recent GZD versions. It's a mess and I am sorry for it. I wasn't very experienced with decorate back then and couldn't do a proper dehacked conversion. It still isn't easy. Fixing all the new bugs alone will be a massive task, so I'd rather not think about anything else right now.
Luktom101

Post by Luktom101 »

I was using Zandroum 3.0 and just beat the last episode. General Fettgesicht seems to have a normal HP Bar, the level ends after beating him though. Sorry to bother you, but do you think you could also add something like Score Table for each episode, becouse collecting treasure is just pointless now. It felt more satisfying to find secrets, when it added armour points, but i guess its kinda weird, that gold acts like armour, so how about Rankings, for each episode. It would add more meaning to uncover secret areas and again sorry for bothering you, but i just find Wolfendoom, the best option, when i want to play Wolfenstein.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

That's beyond my skills and hardly likely to happen under the given circumstances. I am aware the addons are not on the same feature level, but they were like that in the first place and my primary goal was to make them work in ZDoom at all. In the meantime, port updates even ruined that goal again, but that's life.

As some contextual info, when I made this back in the days I worked on it for 2-3 months straight, almost every day. It was a learning process, trial and error, and in the end it was more like I glued everything together and was proud it worked somehow. Later ZDoom versions weren't so forgiving any more and punished my sloppiness hard. What is needed now is to do a proper dehacked-to-decorate conversion without conflicts, and it's nothing I can simply shake out of my sleeve. No sooner can adding features even be considered than before everything works again the way it did 5 years ago. Long story short: It's really not the time for feature requests, but it helps to know what doesn't work, even though I will have to play through the entire compilation again to see where the big issues are. Merging episodes is still no more than wishful thinking.

I know some of you guys are really burning for this to be pushed forward, but at the moment I have neither motivation nor time to resume this project at all. Both factors are required to get any satisfying result. The only way I see this get back on track within any acceptable timeframe is if I open team positions for people who know what they are doing. This worked quite well for the Fullscreen Statusbar Mod project. As a one-man project this honestly has grown over the top of my head.
icemann

Post by icemann »

The health of bosses in Spear of Destiny is crazy. Having major issues getting past them, since they hit you instantly and are absolute bullet sponges. Crazy.
icemann

Post by icemann »

All 3 of the Astrostein packs have bugs to do with the barriers that come down when the player gets nearby to them. For some of them, I assume when Laz developed them, he assumed that that the player would go to where they were first, then to the area of the switch to lower it. But if the player went to the switch area first and hit the switch, then went to the barrier area then their effective stuck in the level, since some of the buttons are set to only be used once.

In other levels the switches which should lower them, don't. So again your stuck, unless you use the noclip mode.

To use a level example - In Astrostein 3 - Map 19 - Sub level 4, you have a barrier go down, then go to a teleporter pad which takes you to a cramped area with robots shooting at you from far up, and a switch nearby. Hitting the switch does nothing however. Does not lower the barrier as intended. I even looked up other Youtube videos and they got stuck there as well. So that is a bug that needs to be fixed in all 3 Astrostein's. All have at least one level where this happens.

Current play through, where I got stuck at sub level 4. Used noclip in the end:
https://youtu.be/MMXRw1zxlp8

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”