Laz Rojas' WolfenDoom for ZDoom [v1.32]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Laz Rojas' WolfenDoom for ZDoom [v1.32]

Post by NightFright »

Screen from Second Encounter, MAP32

During January and February 2015, I was working hard on bringing ZDoom compatibility to all of Laz Rojas' WolfenDoom packs (except for Die Fuhrer Die as it is already included in the Original Missions). Primary goal was not to add too much eye candy, but rather fix bugs and showstoppers. However, some packs have also seen some visual improvements, e.g. fog in some maps.

Following packs are included:
Astrostein Trilogy
Escape from Totenhaus
Halten Sie!
Operation Arctic Wolf (Pt.1+2)
Operation Eisenmann
Operation Rheingold (Ep.1+2)
The Portal
Treasure Hunt
WolfenDoom: Original Missions
WolfenDoom: Nocturnal Missions
WolfenDoom: Second Encounter
WolfenDoom: Spear of Destiny

As a bonus, Caleb26's Spear of Destiny packs (with fixes done by myself) are also included:
Spear Revisited
SoD: The Lost Episodes (requires GZDoom)

----------------------------------------------
Last update:
Version 1.32 (October 17, 2019)

DOWNLOAD LATEST VERSION HERE:
WolfenDoom for ZDoom v1.32 (55.6 MB, zipfile) | Mirror #1 (Mega) | Mirror # 2 (Uploadfiles.io)

CHANGELOG v1.32 (Oct 17, 2019)
Spoiler:

Instructions:
- Pack comes with 18 PK3 files. Each of them contains one WolfenDoom pack to play.
- All of them need to be used with doom2.wad.
- Use them like any other Doom II addon (drag & drop onto your (G)ZDoom executable, add any *.PK3 as PWAD in your favorite ZDoom launcher etc.).

What you can expect:
- Custom MIDI music for ALL packs (no Doom II music any more)
- Menu optimizations (episode selection screens --> no need to jump to certain maps any more if you start)
- Custom episode ending texts (where they didn't exist) and cast calls
- Obituary messages (when enemies kill you), pickup messages
- Difficulty settings via MAPINFO; progressive boss difficulties
- Tons of map fixes (e.g. secrets not being recognized, pushwalls not opening, texture errors)
- Sprite fixes (transparency/centering issues)
- Occasional ZDoom special effects, e.g. fog or lightning/thunder (as seen in Second Encounter)
- Widescreen statusbars
And a lot more! For details about each pack, please consult the separately included readme files.

What you cannot expect:
- Fancy stuff like GZDoom effects/lighting (except for Caleb's SoD Lost Episodes pack)
- Merging of episodes or parts (i.e. uniting Astrostein 1-3, Operation Rheingold 1+2 or the two Arctic Wolf parts)
- New levels - this just polishes what has been there already

CREDITS:
id Software (Wolfenstein 3D Original/Nocturnal Missions)
FormGen Corporation (Spear of Destiny/SoD: The Lost Episodes)
MacPlay Entertainment (Second Encounter)
Laz Rojas (WolfenDOOM)
Executor (Spear Revisited for Wolf3D)
Caleb26 (ZDoom ports for Spear Revisited/SoD: The Lost Episodes)
Enjay (assets for Spear Revisted/SoD: The Lost Episodes)
Sgt. Shivers (assets for Spear Revisted/SoD: The Lost Episodes)
CeeJay (WolfenDoom Original/Nocturnal Missions for ZDoom + assets)
AFADoomer (Wolfenstein 3D TC assets)
blox (weapon sprites)
osjclatchford (weapon sprites)
Forty-Two (MIDI music)
James "Jimmy" Paddock (MIDI music)
99Sounds.org (sounds for WolfenDoom: Second Encounter)

More credits for Spear Revisited included with original readme file

Hope you guys will have as much fun playing these classics again with ZDoom as I had when working on them!
Last edited by NightFright on Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:32 am, edited 57 times in total.
Doom Juan

Re: Laz Rojas' WolfenDoom for ZDoom

Post by Doom Juan »

Thank you NightFright, Wolfendoom was the first series of total conversions that I downloaded back when you had to go to a cyber cafe for internet access: sometimes having to span three floppy disks for a Wolfendoom episode!

I will enjoy playing these later tonight 8-)
ShinyCrobat

Post by ShinyCrobat »

The first map of the first episode of the Original missions seems to be broken.
Caleb26

Post by Caleb26 »

Note :

SPEAR OF DESTINY : THE LOST EPISODES requires GZDOOM to work because of 3D Floors and Ambient Lights.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Using latest ZDoom revision, I can confirm the crash with Original Missions, but it is NOT a problem with my modifications. ZDoom also crashes if you just load original.wad. It definitely didn't do that when I was working on it back in January.

Meaning: ZDoom problem. I tried with different versions, and it crashes with all ZDoom releases including and after zdoom-2.8pre-1427-gcad2821 (April 19, 2015). This has been reported.

I recommend using zdoom-2.8pre-1424-g6326cd7 for the time being (and GZDoom based on that version, ofc).
Last edited by NightFright on Thu May 07, 2015 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flynn Taggart

Re: [Release] Laz Rojas' WolfenDoom for ZDoom

Post by Flynn Taggart »

This is great! I was thinking about doing something similar to this but never got to it. Although I think some map packs could benefit from some fixed GLDEFs and Translucency for objects that were changed to different decorations. (IE bits of treasure that glow green like armor bonuses for one example) and actual Underwater Sectors in Arctic Wolf. But I know you're most likely done with this by now. Great job nonetheless :D
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Initially, I intended to put more eye candy into these packs. However, when I encountered too many glitches and inconsistencies, I decided to rather aim for a focus on bugfixes and bring all packs to the same or similar level regarding presentation (menus, features etc). Things like a key not appearing on easy mode, missing textures or pushwalls opening from the wrong side just shouldn't happen.

Also, one of the main problems people had with Laz Rojas' stuff was that gameplay was just too hard. I tried to improve this by significantly reducing player damage taken (and increasing ammo pickup amount) in lower difficulty settings. This should make it a lot more enjoyable for those who don't like hardcore combat. Third (normal) difficulty mode changes nothing, i.e. it plays as intended by the author. If you want to go beyond that, well... don't say I didn't warn you about it. :P

If anybody ever feels like adding GZDoom stuff to all this, feel free to do so! The monkey business part has already been done with this.

Regarding the MAP01 crash in Original Missions:
Graf Zahl has already identified and eliminated the issue. One of the next ZDoom snapshots will have the fix, so you should be able to play this again with "bleeding edge" releases after that. Apparently it had to do with that specific map having no sector tags at all and ZDoom not being able to handle this properly (any more).
sycspysycspy

Post by sycspysycspy »

Too many enemies too few bullets
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Thanks for this! Been dying for a FULL pack of everything Wolf 3D. Only thing I'd change (and might for myself) is to use the music from CeeJay's enhanced version downloads. They sound better to my ear.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

This is more than brilliant, time to boot up the old goldies again :)
Caleb26

Post by Caleb26 »

Are you going to add a score counter to every wolfendoom wad? (excluding SODREV and SOD Lost eps.)
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Maybe in a later update - when I have enough time again and once I have figured out how it's actually done. I am not that much into scripting in general. Was hard enough for me to find out how to do what was needed to apply all those changes you can see in the readme files. :mrgreen:

If anybody wants to assist with it, I wouldn't have any objections.In the end though, it'd rather be optional.
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Woolie Wool »

Spear Revisited is my creation and Caleb26 merely ported it and did the Doom engine enhancements like flats and lighting. You should also credit Id Software, FormGen Corporation, and MacPlay Entertainment for the original/nocturnal missions, the Spear Lost Episodes, and Second Encounter, respectively.

Edit: Spear Revisited also has an extensive list of credits, I hope you packed that file in with it!
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I included the readmes which came with Caleb's packs. They have some additional credits, but I guess they may not be complete. I can reupload a version with full credits tomorrow if someone is able to provide who is still missing.

In the meantime, I have already updated the credits in the first post (also over at Doomworld) - it's something. And sorry for this, wasn't my intention to skip anybody!
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Woolie Wool »

http://www.moddb.com/mods/spear-revisited
Both the ECWolf and the original versions of Spear Revisited are here with their respective readme/credits files.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”