DooM Plus spiced up

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

DooM Plus spiced up

Postby -doomdude- » Sat May 02, 2015 9:16 am

I've done Some video with "DooM Plus" spiced up, a little tiny winy mod I've been working for my pleasure.
I'll release soon with description and credits, in the meanwhile someone can upload these video on youtube, please?
--
Video 1 - Super Shotgun Blasphemy in Ultimate zDooM E1M3 (79mb):
https://www.sendspace.com/file/4dui7j
---
Video 2 - "O" for zDooM II Plus Spiced Up (110mb):
https://www.sendspace.com/file/4x0p6a
---
Video 3 - Castle zDooMenstein - Sieg Heil Pyro! (80mb):
https://www.sendspace.com/file/010u7h
---
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-doomdude-

Re: DooM Plus spiced up

Postby -doomdude- » Sun May 03, 2015 9:31 am

So, this's a modified version of DooM "Plus" mod:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/4 ... lance-mod/

I really love how weapons play in that mod and I decided to make some changes for my pleasure.
I removed (Heretic ones) or capped some weapons and added some others (knife, axe and nuclear gun).
Almost all monsters spawn an alternative, so the roster is, more or less, 30. Some are close
to the original, others different (but fit, IMO) to make more frenetic the gameplay.
Powerups are changed, now you have infinite ammo, health recharge, mutant mode, blood lust etc
instead of classic ones.
I try to balance everything, some monsters are stronger, other weaker, some faster and
some drop health bonus or ammo.
It should be compatible with Doom 1&2 and all WAD with levels (Evilution, Evil Flesh, Going Down, Alien Vendetta etc.)

Some basic tips if someone will ever try this thing:

- Bind a key for "reload"
- Reload is in a sub menu called "DooM Plus" in key config
- Keep your weapons reloaded (fondamental)
- Save ammo for the chaingun
- Don't rush in new areas
- If you rush shoot with your chaingun like no tomorrow
- Try using the right weapon vs the right monster (ex: shotgun vs suicide bomber).
- The first times play on normal difficulty
- Remember that you start with the shotgun not only with pistol
- If you are in Mutant mode wait until effect turn off, sometimes maps don't react properly in that mode
- Some monsters have a stealth alternative, be cautious
- Save before using the Nuclear BFG

------------------------------------------------------------------
Download link: https://www.sendspace.com/file/vjxt87
------------------------------------------------------------------

Credits (all from Realm667 website):

Spoiler:
-doomdude-

Postby Abba Zabba » Sun May 03, 2015 5:39 pm

Doom Plus was the very first Doom mod I have ever played (and what fun it was), so this should be treat. Also, what difficulties exactly are you having with uploading the videos? I downloaded them so I guess I can upload them myself, unless youtube doesn't take .avi's or something. In which case I could convert them.

EDIT: After playing a bit more, I have a few questions and recommendations:

The SSG suffers from the infinite reload bug, meaning that you can reload it at any time as long as you have one shell left in the gun. On a related note, reloading the SSG from empty with just one shell will fully reload it.

What's the difference between the fist and the knife now, considering you start with the knife instead of finding it like a pickup? Also, I don't remember if the original had it, but you might want to look for some knife sprites that don't have the comically large motion blur for it's swing frames. Seeing how Scuba Steve had a hand in the making of those sprites, it probably was the case in the original too. Heh. Action Doom.

The officer's pistol should probably be renamed the officer's revolver. On a less serious note, the zombieman clips renamed mags as well.

The axe is pretty fun to use, reminds me a bit of HL:OF's pipe wrench, but it has a pinch of cutoff for people with wide displays that don't play with a forced aspect ratio.

There seems to be a missing frame for the splash animation. At least, the lava one. Also, the splash is fairly sunken (regardless of sprite adjustment options) when it's caused by a hitscan i.e. shooting into a pool. Everything else that would cause splashes to display look right.
Abba Zabba

Postby -doomdude- » Mon May 04, 2015 1:05 pm

Lava Grunt wrote:Doom Plus was the very first Doom mod I have ever played (and what fun it was), so this should be treat. Also, what difficulties exactly are you having with uploading the videos? I downloaded them so I guess I can upload them myself, unless youtube doesn't take .avi's or something. In which case I could convert them.

Super Shotgun Blasphemy is Hard, the other two are Normal difficulty. If you upload them on youtube you are more than welcome. You can convert the videos, modify etc, also the "mod", no problem, really, I have no claims about, I made this little thing thanks to zDooM community/forum/wiki/realm667 etc.

EDIT: After playing a bit more, I have a few questions and recommendations:

The SSG suffers from the infinite reload bug, meaning that you can reload it at any time as long as you have one shell left in the gun. On a related note, reloading the SSG from empty with just one shell will fully reload it.

What's the difference between the fist and the knife now, considering you start with the knife instead of finding it like a pickup? Also, I don't remember if the original had it, but you might want to look for some knife sprites that don't have the comically large motion blur for it's swing frames. Seeing how Scuba Steve had a hand in the making of those sprites, it probably was the case in the original too. Heh. Action Doom.

in the original DooM Plus the knife was an alternative for the chainsaw, for me It doesn't make sense that a knife is strong like a chainsaw, so I added a "normal" knife and the axe, the idea is that the fists are weakest melee weapon, the knife is slight better than fists but still a weak melee weapon, you use them only if you are out of ammo or you want to save it. Then you have the axe, ready to use like the knife, but slower and stronger, and finally you have the chainsaw the best melee weapon but, in theory, the slowest to start. In theory 'cause sometimes you pull the string 2 or 3 times, but not always... sometimes It just start too quickly.

The officer's pistol should probably be renamed the officer's revolver. On a less serious note, the zombieman clips renamed mags as well.

The axe is pretty fun to use, reminds me a bit of HL:OF's pipe wrench, but it has a pinch of cutoff for people with wide displays that don't play with a forced aspect ratio.

There seems to be a missing frame for the splash animation. At least, the lava one. Also, the splash is fairly sunken (regardless of sprite adjustment options) when it's caused by a hitscan i.e. shooting into a pool. Everything else that would cause splashes to display look right.

There are tons of little and big changes that would be great to add, from cosmetic changes (like black/grey sprites for the stealth arch-vile) to tweaks, balance and gameplay additions, but a skilled coder
is needed, or we wait until I will start to learn seriously coding (long process).
-doomdude-

Return to Gameplay Mods