Paranoiac Released [2017-03-31]: Download Page 1

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Paranoiac Released [2017-03-31]: Download Page 1

Post by Rachael »

Enjay wrote:To touch on something mentioned a few posts up, I think people will be very impressed with the changes that Ed The Bat has made for Paranoid Gold. He really has done some amazing work with it.
Echoing this.

The only thing that's still recognizable are the maps, themselves. Otherwise you might, at times, actually think you really are playing Half-Life. ;)
warman2012 wrote:Now for the bad. This game is by far so far-reaching in what its trying to do, that it is a terrible waste. Why would anyone want to play a low poly version of Half-Life when the original is available to mod? There is an SDK for the Half-Life game to mod with. Why not use that instead? Your understanding of the doom engine is pretty far enough that you should be able to learn to mod for the REAL Half-Life, no problem. Your skills are being wasted on this primitive engine. Why not use goldsource instead?
Why did Doom get ported to UT2k4? Because someone wanted to do it.

Why did Unreal1 get ported to UT2k4? Again - because someone wanted to do it.

Why did Doom get ported to Duke3D and Duke3D get ported to Doom? Because someone wanted to do it.

Why did Half-Life get ported to Doom? Now we come full circle.

It's a hobby. You do what interests you, and occasionally if the work you do is good enough, other people enjoy it. There is no harm in this whatsoever. Being critical of it is the most short-sighted thing you can do.
ReX

Post by ReX »

Speaking of Ed the Bat, isn't it time he made an announcement. Or something?

[Rachael, would you please make a post on DRDTeam about what is complete and what remains? I might have some major catching up to do with the new maps.]

As for warman2012's comments, I'm actually fine with his opinions. ["What?" you interject, a tad too loudly. "You're going to roll over and get boot-prints on your back?" To that I say: "Perhaps it's old age, or perhaps it's the coffee, but I feel kind of mellow."] As for his suggestion to build for GoldSource, he doesn't really need to play the mods in order to form that opinion.

@warman2012: Most seasoned developers in the DooM community (and Enjay are Rachael are about as seasoned as you're going to get) create works first, for their own satisfaction, and next for the satisfaction of others. Therefore, suggesting that we get a new hobby because we seem to be wasting our talents, is like telling a water-color artist to switch to oils, just because oil paintings sell better. Still, thanks for sharing your thoughts.
GripZ
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by GripZ »

Is the ichy really not possible to remake into gzdoom?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I don't know if Ed has come up with anything but the problem I've had with water based enemies in the past is keeping them in the water.

I know that you can do a water level check in their code and force them down if they start to rise above the water surface. However, if they have also been given a lost-soul-like charge attack, I found that they could move so fast that they could throw themselves out of the water onto the shore and then they would end up stuck on the beach because their code was then trying to push them down into a solid floor. No matter how I tried to tweak it, I couldn't come up with a combination that would keep them in the water in any and every mapping situation.

If you are prepared to forego allowing them in any body of water and only use them in areas of a map where rising above the water is impossible (e.g. underwater tunnels) or where stepping onto a beach cannot happen, then it's easy to use them.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

ReX wrote:Speaking of Ed the Bat, isn't it time he made an announcement. Or something?
I still have much to do before the updates are truly complete. I feel guilty that I haven't gotten much work done in the past few weeks; I've been in a bit of a slump, and other things have been taking my time and interest lately.
GripZ wrote:Is the ichy really not possible to remake into gzdoom?
I hadn't even thought about adding the Ichthyosaur. Personally, I always hated it in Half-Life.
Enjay wrote:I don't know if Ed has come up with anything but the problem I've had with water based enemies in the past is keeping them in the water.

I know that you can do a water level check in their code and force them down if they start to rise above the water surface. However, if they have also been given a lost-soul-like charge attack, I found that they could move so fast that they could throw themselves out of the water onto the shore and then they would end up stuck on the beach because their code was then trying to push them down into a solid floor. No matter how I tried to tweak it, I couldn't come up with a combination that would keep them in the water in any and every mapping situation.

If you are prepared to forego allowing them in any body of water and only use them in areas of a map where rising above the water is impossible (e.g. underwater tunnels) or where stepping onto a beach cannot happen, then it's easy to use them.
Leaping out of the water was a problem with the Ichthyosaur in Half-Life, so that would at least be true to the source. There are not very many deep-water segments in Paranoid or Paranoiac, but I would be open to discussion from the team if adding this monster would be a worthwhile idea.
ReX

Post by ReX »

Ed the Bat wrote:I still have much to do before the updates are truly complete. I feel guilty that I haven't gotten much work done in the past few weeks; I've been in a bit of a slump, and other things have been taking my time and interest lately.
Take your time and don't stress out about it.
There are not very many deep-water segments in Paranoid or Paranoiac, but I would be open to discussion from the team if adding this monster would be a worthwhile idea.
We can continue this discussion on the DRDTeam forums. Personally, I'm ambivalent about the ichthyosaur. I actually liked it in Half-Life, as it was (for me, at least) a truly frightening enemy. But in the Paranoid universe? I don't know how we could make it work. I don't think we should go back and modify the existing maps, as it would involve too much of rework. But in the new maps? Who knows.
guineu

Post by guineu »

I find it weird when bumping on those small plants. Wouldn't it be possible to make them walkable through?
Some types you can walk on top of them and others stop you forcing you to walk around / jump over.
Screenshot_Doom_20170714_144533.jpg
ReX

Post by ReX »

guineu wrote:I find it weird when bumping on those small plants. Wouldn't it be possible to make them walkable through?
Some types you can walk on top of them and others stop you forcing you to walk around / jump over.
I believe the way they are set up is to have actor heights that closely reflect the actual height of the in-game model. Some of the plants are 32 units tall, which (in DooM) means you can't step on them (like conventional steps), but have to jump atop them.

But more to your point, in retrospect I agree that those plan't shouldn't be blocking. At best, they should have a minimal height, which would represent them being trampled. (The main objection to this approach is the fact that, when switching to external camera view, the player will appear to walk through the plant. I suppose that's as objectionable as the player stepping atop them without trampling them.) I will suggest this to Ed the Bat, who is now the Project Manager for the version of the game that is being updated and overhauled.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

ReX wrote:I agree that those plan't shouldn't be blocking. At best, they should have a minimal height, which would represent them being trampled. (The main objection to this approach is the fact that, when switching to external camera view, the player will appear to walk through the plant. I suppose that's as objectionable as the player stepping atop them without trampling them.) I will suggest this to Ed the Bat, who is now the Project Manager for the version of the game that is being updated and overhauled.
Sounds like a good plan to me. I'll give all of the plants a reasonable height such that a player can step onto/through them without being completely blocked by them.
ReX

Post by ReX »

Ed the Bat wrote:I'll give all of the plants a reasonable height such that a player can step onto/through them without being completely blocked by them.
There might be only one plant that actually needs a height modification; the others can all be stepped upon.

Also, this is something I've thought about since Paranoid was released in 2010: The saguaro cacti could be set up to impart minor damage if the player ran into them. But this is a very minor point.

To forum readers who have played Paranoid and/or Paranoiac, please send in your suggestions for improvements, as Ed and the rest of the Team work to update the games.
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

What about Paranoi(d|ac) Gold that has been promised long ago?
As for suggestions, i want to see more levels :)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

If you absolutely cannot wait, development has been happening in relatively public here: https://github.com/drdteam/paranoidiac

However, keep in mind that what happens in this repository may be incomplete. There may be bugs and issues not present in the currently released versions!

Big thanks to Ed the Bat for most of the work he's done on this. As you may be able to tell, about 99.99% of the commits there are his. :P
BFG

Post by BFG »

please could you use models instead of sprites for the monsters? I think that will make it much better
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

That's already being done in a future project that combines the two.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Rachael wrote:That's already being done in a future project that combines the two.
Said project is even linked in the post before BFG's.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”