Paranoiac Released [2017-03-31]: Download Page 1

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ReX

Re: Paranoiac Nearing Completion [New Pics 2016-10-18]

Post by ReX »

Eruanna wrote:Ermuhgerd its a trailer!
Yes, The Persecution Complex has finally entered the 21st Century. Heh.

As Eruanna said, many thanks to Daniel 'Tormentor667' for creating the final edited video (including music, special effects, etc.)

My thanks to Eruanna for converting the demo lmps to mp4 format. I accept all abuse for the sloppy gameplay in the lmps.
ReX

Re: Paranoiac Released [2017-03-31]: Download Page 1

Post by ReX »

Paranoiac is complete and available for download. Refer to the first post for important information.

Text file for Paranoiac

Important information to play Paranoiac

Download Paranoiac

Oh, and it's been exactly 7 years since the release of Paranoid.
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

I'm using 2.4.0 but all I get is this error regardless of load order

Script error, "paranoic.pk3:zscript.txt" line 1:
Include script lump zscript/freezeritem.txt not found

Execution could not continue.

1 errors while parsing
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

Trusty McLegit wrote:I'm using 2.4.0 but all I get is this error regardless of load order

1 errors while parsing
Same here.Thought it was just me.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

You need to load the original Paranoid.pk3 before Paranoic.pk3.

Ed the Bat and I are currently working on a "Gold" edition that contains the two combined (and will have coop support).
Toyoch

Post by Toyoch »

grouchbag wrote:
Trusty McLegit wrote:I'm using 2.4.0 but all I get is this error regardless of load order

1 errors while parsing
Same here.Thought it was just me.
Same here. I'm on the latest SVN(2.5pre-238), command line param on the shortcut is [-file "Paranoid.pk3" "paranoic.pk3"] but I still get the same error.
PlayerLin
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

I'm also get the same error too, using 2.4.0 release and 2.5pre-238 both happens.

And I open Paranoic.pk3 with SLADE3, the zscript sub-directory has nothing in it at all, so the engine can't run since it can't find the freezeritem.txt.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Ugh. Well - here's the missing file. You'll have to put it in the zscript folder with an archiver, until Rex gets a chance to fix it.

Just had to pull that - sorry. It seems like the upload is incomplete and it is missing a lot more assets. This will definitely require Rex to fix it.
PlayerLin
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

Thanks now it works but when I start a new game, I select the second episode (Paranoiac: Extraction) and it loads DooM 2's MAP10...and I'm confusing and then go check the pk3 again with SLADE3, the new maps are MAP13 to MAP23, and as MAPINFO defined it will load non-exist MAP10, I guess it should be MAP13...but after try to go back the door on MAP13's start position and it crashed GZDooM with its fatal error window, then when I check the MAP13 with SLADE 3's map editor, I found it runs ACS script #3 and try to load MAP12...

Now I'm guessing the MAP10 to MAP12 just missing at all...as I found the txt file of Paranoic also wrote about it has MAP10 to MAP23... :3:

EDIT: Okay, Rachael I see your edits now after I post this so it seems only Rex can fix these problems. :(
ReX

Post by ReX »

My apologies to everyone who downloaded the file and wasn't able to get the game started. I might have screwed something up when putting together the final pk3. [I do know, however, that I did not intentionally (or probably even accidentally) delete the freezer_item.txt from the zscript folder.] All I did to assemble the pk3 was to include the updated maps in the Maps folder; all other resources were intact in the pk3. How the zscript file was deleted I could not begin to guess. I also noticed some other missing resources, but I can't figure out how they went missing. I ought to have tested the game once I assembled the pk3, but I figured that if I was just adding maps to the folder, all should have been fine.

At any rate, I have re-uploaded a "clean" zip file, downloaded it myself, and tested the pk3. All looks well, so please try it again. Thanks for your patience.

And, no, this was not an April Fool's joke that went horribly wrong.
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

Time for a download then. But given my insanely busy upcoming month, I'm not entirely sure when I'll get to play through it.
Toyoch

Post by Toyoch »

The new file worked fine!

And I have finished Paranoic and the bonus level(plus the super secret level). Here are my thoughts:
- It has Xen before Black Mesa(that Source version) gets it. Yay.
- Encountered no glitches or bugs that I can consider as them.
Spoiler:
I've been watching the mod since this thread went up, and I'm glad that the mod did worth the wait. Good work!
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Fantastic work! Having fun so far, the maps are noice, I like what you've done to the barnacles (though the old variant coming back wouldn't hurt), and its quite cool to see this mod's finally done.

Though unfortunately the weapon sprites are kinda a bit inconsistent, you got the HD weapons, DiamonD's v_crossbow, and LD v_egon model currently being used for the weapon sprites.
It really bugs me since their hands and model quality are really different from each other, which would I guess annoy quite the number of people too.

You also didn't change the oddities of Paranoid's original assets, like the HUD showing the LD weapons 640hud instead of the HD weapons, the LR300-wearing HGrunts, sounds that are incorrectly placed:
Beretta - Supposed to use 9mmclip2 before 9mmclip1 in Half-Life, but here it uses reload1 and reload2.
Shotgun - Supposed to use reload1 AND reload3, not just one of them.
And then there's the old HD pack anomalies, like the Beretta's slide not working when fired, or the shotgun having broken arms.

I'm currently making an addon for this to fix some of the problems.

Here's what I managed to do so far, updates will follow.

https://www.mediafire.com/?jt6h033k6b867do

Do note that this addon is actually intended to be merged with the original PK3, as adding it as an addon does this for some reason.

ReX

Post by ReX »

Toyoch wrote:I've been watching the mod since this thread went up, and I'm glad that the mod did worth the wait. Good work!
Thank you.
Maps are well-detailed, but I felt a bit of slaughterfest(most levels have 100-200 monsters or more) on Difficult level.
We actually made a conscious decision not to have masses of enemies. But I agree that on Difficult skill level the maps can be fairly tough. Because of the weapon reload requirements, and the relative toughness of some of the enemies, the game requires some strategy and careful playing at times.
Maybe it's just because I played on Difficult, but some enemies hurt too much, namely Alien Grunt's hornets and Controller's attacks.
I don't believe the enemies hurt the player more on higher skill levels. Of course, at higher skill levels there are more enemies (making gameplay tougher), but you already figured that out.
RPG one-shotted Big Mommas and Nihilanth. Is it intended to be that powerful?
We'll need to look closer at this. I just checked the HLRocket definition, and Damage is showing at 70. HLNihilanth health is 4,000. HLGonarch health is 5,000. Plus, the Nihilanth and Gonarch have periodic invulnerability modes, so they should never be defeated easily. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Perhaps it's a new (unintentional) GZDooM thing?
The Bonus level was fun except the shotgun path(there aren't enough ammo to fight all those imps). The super secret level is kinda too big to explore, while its architecture is great.
Yes, in Map 22 the shotgun ammo is tight for the number of imps, but it can be done. Of course, an option is to go to one of the other areas, pick up the weapons, and hope you have some left-over ammo. Then go back to the imp area. Even having the crowbar might make the imp fights easier (from an ammo standpoint).
Map 23 was always intended to offer a vast game-space. I can see how someone might decide it's too big, and give up. As an incentive to press forward, we've tried to make each new area look and feel different. Still, thanks for your feedback.
ZikShadow wrote:Fantastic work! Having fun so far, the maps are noice, I like what you've done to the barnacles (though the old variant coming back wouldn't hurt), and its quite cool to see this mod's finally done.
Thanks. I'm glad you're liking it.
As for the original H-L Barnacles, I don't think that ZDooM yet supports the grabbing-and-lifting behavior of the tentacle.
You also didn't change the oddities of Paranoid's original assets, like the HUD showing the LD weapons 640hud instead of the HD weapons, the LR300-wearing HGrunts, sounds that are incorrectly placed:
Beretta - Supposed to use 9mmclip2 before 9mmclip1 in Half-Life, but here it uses reload1 and reload2.
Shotgun - Supposed to use reload1 AND reload3, not just one of them.
And then there's the old HD pack anomalies, like the Beretta's slide not working when fired, or the shotgun having broken arms.
Out of necessity, we had to inherit the weapons and other actors of Paranoid. We are working on upgrading Paranoid (see Rachael's reference above, to a "gold" edition), and will consider your suggestions.
I'm currently making an addon for this to fix some of the problems.... Do note that this addon is actually intended to be merged with the original PK3, as adding it as an addon does this for some reason.
Thanks for your work. Rachael & Ed the Bat will be managing the Paranoid upgrade, and they will reach out to you when that work begins.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

ReX wrote:I just checked the HLRocket definition, and Damage is showing at 70.
That's its base damage, meaning its impact inflicts 70 * random(1,8), meaning up to 560 damage. It also does up to 512 damage with its explosion, meaning each single rocket has the potential to reach up to 1,072 damage. That may not be enough to one-shot the Nihilanth, but this is still a massive impact.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”