[WIP]Mr. Smiley Head's Safari II v0.52 Beta (March 20)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Doomguy 2000

Re: [WIP] Mr. Smiley Head's Safari II

Post by Doomguy 2000 »

KiLerZolika wrote: Level design? I don't really care about that, just make the game enjoyable.
Ofc, there will be more things to make the mod more fun.
Judging by watching the first 2 minutes of your walkthrough, your wad still doesn't look like fun. You even did a video creating map08 and it was you just throwing in monsters for the sake of it with copying and pasting the monster placements around the castle. If your main objective is making the game more enjoyable, then you are failing at that.
KiLerZolika wrote:But hey, I will make the maps more beautiful than the 94' ones, or atleast try to. I recently started mapping, I don't really have experience.
You recently started mapping and are actually creating 32 levels?
Kizoky
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kizoky »

Doomguy 2000 wrote:
KiLerZolika wrote: Level design? I don't really care about that, just make the game enjoyable.
Ofc, there will be more things to make the mod more fun.
Judging by watching the first 2 minutes of your walkthrough, your wad still doesn't look like fun. You even did a video creating map08 and it was you just throwing in monsters for the sake of it with copying and pasting the monster placements around the castle. If your main objective is making the game more enjoyable, then you are failing at that.
KiLerZolika wrote:But hey, I will make the maps more beautiful than the 94' ones, or atleast try to. I recently started mapping, I don't really have experience.
You recently started mapping and are actually creating 32 levels?
The Mod is still in Alpha stage, yet you already want the game more enjoyable. Only 1 person works on this mod.
Throwing monsters in it, and later removing a few to avoid any inbalance issues, I always do this with my maps. When everything is done, Textures to linedefs, I always balance the monsters.

By experience, I mean complex structures.
For example, Alien Vendetta maps.
Kizoky

Post by Kizoky »

Okay, the Doom II monster replicas' are planned:
Arachnotron - Hello Kitty
Revenant - Ghost Rider
Mancubus - Cartman
Archvile - Black Metalist
Spider-Mastermind - Giant Smiley riding a mechanical robot with legs, and has a Chaingun on his mouth
Pain Elemental and Hell Knight is already finished

This will require a lot of work to do..
Kizoky

Post by Kizoky »

I uploaded a video of the mod, a small gameplay. I'll upload a Development video later. (It's in the thread)
Kizoky

Post by Kizoky »

Tomorrow I will upload Smiley II in it's current state.
The reason is because I'm afraid to lose everything, though I have the WAD files on my external hard drive, It is not funny when an amount of work just disappears.

The gameplay/monster behaviour is not touched, this means everything feels like a Texture/Graphic replacement mod for Doom II.
Kizoky

Post by Kizoky »

Okay, as promised, I uploaded the current state of Smiley II.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/x4c0t ... ileyII.zip
Gardevoir

Re: [WIP] Mr. Smiley Head's Safari II [Last update: April 10

Post by Gardevoir »

Hey, I just checked this out. Pretty good start, although for whatever reason I kept starting without the baseball ball... and that ended up being pretty nasty. Anyway, my only complaint so far is that you should put berserk packs on the levels in the places where they should be (like in the original kinda), it's pretty much required near start of Map02 if you want to deal with all those demons running around. Map01 has a few graphical bugs (unclosed sectors), trashy textures around (it's not a bad thing), but I liked it overall. The only thing I'd recommend is to lock the outside area somehow so monsters in the next room won't wake up (either mark monsters in next room as deaf or put some sound blocking lines). Also, make some acidic liquids on the level actually hurt the player. If you want the elevators to work like they do in doom (not stopping 8 pixels above the lowest floor) use the action that says "Platform Lower wait Raise (lip)" instead.

I got a small question about Red Rangers, why do they bleed green? Just because red blood wouldn't be as noticeable?

Anyway, I guess that's it. I'm looking forward to the rest of this mod. If you have any questions regarding mapping, send me a PM and I might explain some things to you. Good luck!
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

You've declared the playerclass in KEYCONF, which has been deprecated for four and a half years, and will make loading extra player classes difficult. It belongs in the gameinfo block in MAPINFO, which you're already using anyway. Also, several actors are being replaced simply to change text strings, which could more easily be done by just replacing the strings in LANGUAGE.

I've taken the liberty of fixing that, and a couple of other things.
Kizoky

Post by Kizoky »

Gardevoir wrote:Hey, I just checked this out. Pretty good start, although for whatever reason I kept starting without the baseball ball... and that ended up being pretty nasty. Anyway, my only complaint so far is that you should put berserk packs on the levels in the places where they should be (like in the original kinda), it's pretty much required near start of Map02 if you want to deal with all those demons running around. Map01 has a few graphical bugs (unclosed sectors), trashy textures around (it's not a bad thing), but I liked it overall. The only thing I'd recommend is to lock the outside area somehow so monsters in the next room won't wake up (either mark monsters in next room as deaf or put some sound blocking lines). Also, make some acidic liquids on the level actually hurt the player. If you want the elevators to work like they do in doom (not stopping 8 pixels above the lowest floor) use the action that says "Platform Lower wait Raise (lip)" instead.

I got a small question about Red Rangers, why do they bleed green? Just because red blood wouldn't be as noticeable?

Anyway, I guess that's it. I'm looking forward to the rest of this mod. If you have any questions regarding mapping, send me a PM and I might explain some things to you. Good luck!
I renamed the weapons, but uh oh, looks like I forgot to rename the Baseball Bat's name in the PlayerClass aswell :oops:

Red Ranger's blood is green, well, back in the day I didn't know how to color the PALETTE so I recolored every-single-sprite in PAINT.NET. It was a pain in the ass. Later I figured it out that it can be easily solved. I was pretty mad and happy at the same time lol.

Thank you!
Kizoky

Post by Kizoky »

Ed the Bat wrote:You've declared the playerclass in KEYCONF, which has been deprecated for four and a half years, and will make loading extra player classes difficult. It belongs in the gameinfo block in MAPINFO, which you're already using anyway. Also, several actors are being replaced simply to change text strings, which could more easily be done by just replacing the strings in LANGUAGE.

I've taken the liberty of fixing that, and a couple of other things.
Woah, thank you! I didn't realise that it was deprecated
Kizoky

Post by Kizoky »

If anyone found bugs in my maps, please let me know and I will try to fix it
Doomguy 2000

Post by Doomguy 2000 »

Well, it was slightly better than what I expected because this actually had a title map, but at the end of the day it's still garbage. The first level felt boring where I was mostly using my shotgun killing enemies, then in the second level with 800+ monsters, I opened up a door, went into a room, then I got stuck there. I'm not going to comment on the third level since that's obviously incomplete. Do I personally look forward to this wad? No and that's mainly because it's going to end up like a boring generic 1994 megawad with a gimmick in an attempt to make this more interesting. I think this would of been better as a sound and graphic replacement instead of the addition of boring 94 levels.
Kizoky

Post by Kizoky »

Doomguy 2000 wrote:Well, it was slightly better than what I expected because this actually had a title map, but at the end of the day it's still garbage. The first level felt boring where I was mostly using my shotgun killing enemies, then in the second level with 800+ monsters, I opened up a door, went into a room, then I got stuck there. I'm not going to comment on the third level since that's obviously incomplete. Do I personally look forward to this wad? No and that's mainly because it's going to end up like a boring generic 1994 megawad with a gimmick in an attempt to make this more interesting. I think this would of been better as a sound and graphic replacement instead of the addition of boring 94 levels.
You must really hate the original Smiley TC then. Like I've said before, this is only an Alpha, I'm currently working on the levels, and after, altering the gameplay a bit, for example, Zombiemans (MJ clones) sometimes move randomly after they attack, or Pain Elementals (Red Ghosts) can bite you. I'm not going to hate you for this though, everyone has their own opinions.
BFG

Post by BFG »

Doomguy 2000 wrote: it's going to end up like a boring generic 1994 megawad.
that's the point! Mr. Smiley Head is a Bad kinda like a B-Movie, we all played it knowing it was bad, even back in the day.
I use to collect Doom level CDs that came free with computer magazines, full of 100+ crappy maps and I would sit and play them all back in 1997 or so. that's the appeal bro.
Big C

Post by Big C »

BFG wrote:
Doomguy 2000 wrote: it's going to end up like a boring generic 1994 megawad.
that's the point! Mr. Smiley Head is a Bad kinda like a B-Movie, we all played it knowing it was bad, even back in the day.
I use to collect Doom level CDs that came free with computer magazines, full of 100+ crappy maps and I would sit and play them all back in 1997 or so. that's the appeal bro.
You are making the mistake of assuming that Doomguy 2000 has a grasp of either subtlety or irony. :P

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”