Re-Exhumed [Public Test 1.2]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Re-Exhumed [Public Test 1.2]

Postby MaxED » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:04 am

What is it?
This is my attempt at recreating a 1996 FPS PC game known as Powerslave in America, Exhumed in Europe and Seireki 1999: Pharaoh no Fukkatsu in Japan.
This is a standalone mod, it does not require any IWAD to function.

Changes from the original PC version:
- Enhanced SFX.
- Training level, which actually teaches you something about the game.
- More varied enemy behaviour.
- Widescreen-friendly weapons.
- Widescreen-friendly HUD.
- New music.
- "Throw Grenade" key (assign this in the "Controls" menu).
- "Quick Melee" key (assign this in the "Controls" menu).

What's included:
Currently, only 2 levels (Training and Abu Simbel) are included.

Credits: see Credits.txt in the PK3.

Spoiler: Screenshots
Spoiler: Changelog

System requirements:
This mod requires GZDoom pre-2.1 r655 or newer. It won't function properly with older versions of GZDoom and probably won't function at all with any other source port.
This mod extensively uses dynamic lights, so make sure they are enabled and use default settings (both "Light size" and "Light intensity" should be set to 1.0).
Alternative HUD is not (and probably will never be) supported, so make sure it's disabled.

Download: Re-Exhumed [Public Test 1.2].pk3 on Google Drive.
Last edited by MaxED on Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:37 am, edited 12 times in total.
MaxED

Re: Re-Exhumed [Public Test 1]

Postby WARCHILD_89 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:29 am

looks nice ;-), those Palm trees look amazing where did you find these? Or do you know how to create them?
WARCHILD_89
DOOM NEMESIS / 3D MODELS / RESOURCE BACKUPS

Postby Ozymandias81 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:41 am

This game was surely good at their times indeed, I've finished it some years ago through DosBox and it was an amazing experience... Also I've ripped some monsters from it (I mean not this project, but Exhumed itself) for my project GORE + some sounds, and while I think this will be some new IWad for users, I hope this won't bump excessively with my mod... Really good work, now I'll give a look into it, expecially to know if you've included ONLY CHECKPOINT totems for saving purposes (this was the worst problem of original Exhumed for me...). Time to hunt some Anubi or Bastet derivatives... :-)
Last edited by Ozymandias81 on Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ozymandias81
Doom is a State of Mind... Out of Control.

Github ID: Ozymandias81
Operating System: Windows Vista/7 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby MaxED » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:42 am

WARCHILD_89 wrote:...those Palm trees look amazing where did you find these? Or do you know how to create them?

I don't remember where I've got the model (big chunk of work on this mod was done in 2012, so, well, I just don't remember... It may've been lifted from one of Sitter's model packs), but I've retextured it myself (using images found in Google image search).
MaxED

Postby Gez » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:44 am

MaxED wrote:This mod requires GZDoom SVN build 655 or newer.

I thought this was a very old thread... (GZDoom on SVN reached r1600 IIRC.) Git numbering scheme counts revision from the last tag, and GZDoom labels development as "pre-next version" so it's "pre-2.1 r655".
Gez

Postby MaxED » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:47 am

OK fixed.
MaxED

Postby YukesVonFaust » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:50 am

Finally, a Powerslave themed mod!
Gotta play this public test now.
YukesVonFaust
Kicking Asses and Taking Names

Discord: Yukes von Faust#9009
Operating System: Windows Vista/7 64-bit

Postby MetalPapat » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:23 am

Great work man ! I Enjoyed play this version, even if i love the PSX version. There is two thing that bother me. The damage system is a little bit anoying and the blood look like coffee stain. Anyways, the feeling, the ambience is there since the first stage. The music is really cool too.
MetalPapat
Groovy

Postby YukiHerz » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:24 am

I was working on something similar long time ago, but stopped because i wasn't able to figure what's up with the PowerSlave palette, it's a weird one.

Gonna play this because it seems awesome.

EDIT: Man, this is awesome, the graphics, the music, the everything, specially the music, i love egyptian themes mixed with guitars.

Now, either the blue balls shot by Anubis change your pitch and angle or i'm just derping with the touchpad on my laptop :lol: .
YukiHerz
Expensive pasta dude

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby Echelon5 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:43 am

Great effort, but the player definitely takes waaay too much damage. In addition, the anubis attacks jerking the view around make them more of a hassle than fun to fight. And those little red guys? A TAD too hard to hit, though crouching down and slashing with the machete seems to be the best way to get rid of them. Like I said though, pure wizadry.
Echelon5

Postby Nash » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:56 am

Made With GZDoomBuilder(tm)? ;)

This looks orgasmic... I'll have to play this ASAP! Screenshots look gorgeous.
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby MaxED » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:30 pm

Echelon5 wrote:Great effort, but the player definitely takes waaay too much damage.

Enemy/projectile damage ammounts are more or less the same as in the original version. The falling damage on the other hand is way higher. Sadly there aren't any ways to tweak this in ZDoom, you can only choose between no damage, Hexen-style falling damage (that's what currently used) and Strife-style falling damage (even more punishing than Hexen's)...

Echelon5 wrote:In addition, the anubis attacks jerking the view around make them more of a hassle than fun to fight.

Judging by the overall reaction, I shall probably tone down this effect a bit...

Echelon5 wrote:And those little red guys? A TAD too hard to hit, though crouching down and slashing with the machete seems to be the best way to get rid of them.

You can deal with them easily using the machine gun. "Quick Melee" button kinda helps to deal with them too.

Nash wrote:Made With GZDoom Builder(tm)? ;)

I've actually written a Build engine map format 6 -> UDMF converter back in 2012, which did most of the dirty work for me. But yes, all the map editing was done in GZDB.
MaxED

Postby wildweasel » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:12 pm

From a quick test, I made it through the underwater section in the first non-training level and found that the game had not removed the "underwater" flag from me. So I could not switch weapons from the slow machete, my movement had random bursts of speed, and the player voice sounded as if it was drowning when I took damage.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby SamVision » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:20 pm

You may need this
Spoiler:
SamVision

Postby wildweasel » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:37 pm

If you use those, just be aware that they ought to be credited to Paul "nmn" Zarcynski (sp?). They were done in Powerslave's palette for a very old, very abandoned project of mine, so I have no problem with them being used.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Next

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects