[Wolfenstein: Blade of Agony] v3.1 released (p204)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [WolfenDoom] Blade of Agony (spoilers page 49)

Postby Tormentor667 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:20 pm

Thats why it is a Development Version ;)
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Captain J » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:44 pm

Tormentor667 wrote:New shots from C1M0 - Warning, spoilers :)
Spoiler:
i wonder what will happen if we break those glasses of specimens.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Lycaon » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:44 am

In that case, could you release the Demo in Moddb just as it is only with the option to disable rain and snow? I really can't wait to keep playing this lol
Lycaon
Black Metal

Postby Tormentor667 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:05 am

@CaptainJ - Nothing, titan glass from Apple California :P

@Lycaon - There is no demo yet, but expect one in the next few weeks
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Lycaon » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:11 am

Oh, in any case, i meant this one http://www.moddb.com/mods/blade-of-agony/downloads

That seems to be the most stable version, or the one with intention to be played by public. Looking forward to that demo.
Lycaon
Black Metal

Postby Ozymandias81 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:04 am

Lycaon wrote:Oh, in any case, i meant this one http://www.moddb.com/mods/blade-of-agony/downloads

That seems to be the most stable version, or the one with intention to be played by public. Looking forward to that demo.

The most stable version, provided with switchable weather effects through menues, would be always this one, IMHO...
Ozymandias81
Doom is a State of Mind... Out of Control.

Github ID: Ozymandias81
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby MaxED » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:09 am

Lycaon wrote:NPC's like the merchant and the general start wandering around the map, and the first mission starts at the end, already inside the laboratory, like you placed a second player 1 start to test that part and didn't remove it afterwards.

Fixed.
MaxED

Postby Lycaon » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:54 am

Cool, downloading it right now, I was looking for something to play
Lycaon
Black Metal

Postby Tormentor667 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:57 am

Though I'd suggest waiting for the official demo to be released. Dev-versions are simply dev-versions and not working as intended :)
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Lycaon » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:50 am

Yep I couldn't play the second mission anyways. Still the experience overall is improved. I can't figure out which feature is the one giving me the lag spikes, but it's so regular that it feels like it's something looped in the scripts maybe? It's like a clock. I'm gonna have to update my pc anyways, but as a suggestion, if you haven't thought about it, I'd say the second mission could be divided in different hubs to make it more friendly to certain pcs. I have no idea if it will work though
Lycaon
Black Metal

Postby Corak » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:58 am

Got permanent crash after trying to talk to Cpt. James Ryan in bar (after saving him in 2nd mission) and chosing the 4th question: "What about agent skills?".
http://savepic.org/7517527.jpg

When talking to guy that transports you before mission c1m3 - his text is "Please insert dialogue here".

Mission c1m3 starting point is in unsafe room where you shooted by some soldier.

Mission c1m2 RAIN sprite effect too unoptimized, lags and requires too much system resources... Good that now it could be disabled.

Missing textures:
Spoiler:

(Latest svn version from github (2015.07.18)
Last edited by Corak on Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corak

Postby Corak » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:37 am

Lycaon wrote:Yep I couldn't play the second mission anyways. Still the experience overall is improved. I can't figure out which feature is the one giving me the lag spikes, but it's so regular that it feels like it's something looped in the scripts maybe? It's like a clock. I'm gonna have to update my pc anyways, but as a suggestion, if you haven't thought about it, I'd say the second mission could be divided in different hubs to make it more friendly to certain pcs. I have no idea if it will work though

Problem you have - is unoptimized rain weather effect. You must disable it in "BOA Options / Weather Effects / Rain - Off"

>switchable weather effects
Added on 15 july
Corak

Postby Wiw » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:07 am

Corak wrote:Got permanent crash after trying to talk to Cpt. James Ryan in bar (after saving him in 2nd mission) and chosing the 4th question: "What about agent skills?".
http://savepic.org/7517527.jpg

I've played with the dev build myself, and I get the same crash. I've enclosed a report on it. And yes, Darren does say "Insert Dialogue Here" twice before C1M3 begins. Also, when I was doing C1M1, I kept hearing this odd clunking sound that wasn't present in the other maps. I assume it's a clock sound, but the ambience for it is miscalculated or something. There's also the small issue of the bottom of the status bar showing through the black screen when I get killed.

However, I do like the novelty of finding NES cartridges as easter eggs - I don't know what they do yet, but I'll see for myself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wiw
Frequently puts foot in mouth

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby MaxED » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:34 am

Corak wrote:Got permanent crash after trying to talk to Cpt. James Ryan in bar (after saving him in 2nd mission) and chosing the 4th question: "What about agent skills?".
Mission c1m3 starting point is in unsafe room where you shooted by some soldier.
Missing textures:
Spoiler:

Fixed.
MaxED

Postby Enjay » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:35 am

Although I haven't been active on the forums for the last month or more, I have been trying to keep an eye on this project. I very much like what I am seeing. The quality of the mapping is superb and I really love the various realistic settings (within the possibilities of the engine). The dam and C1M0 particularly caught my eye and I'm really interested to see how the Zeppelin level is going to shape up. I've found it really pretty tough to play and the usual Doom run-and-gun approach will simply get you killed. That's not a bad thing in itself but it does mean that firing it up for a quick casual play isn't really an option.

I don't have much to report because I'm not sure what people have caught already. So, I really just wanted to drop in and say "good job". In many ways, this feels like the 2.5D engine sequel to Wolf3D that never officially existed. It feels somewhere between the original game and RtCW (but nearer the RtCW end of that spectrum in many ways).

The only thing I'd like to ask, and it may be too late to address, or the answer may just be "suck it up Enjay, deal with it, that's how doors work" is the various swinging doors throughout the maps. Just like real-life doors usually do, they always open the same way regardless of which side of the door you are on. However, in real life, you can tell which way a door is going to open because you move it and, if it is opening towards you, you pull it and step back with it: you are in control. However, in a game with an engine like this, swing doors often mean a door opening into your face at its own pace with you having no real control over it other than having to duck back to avoid blocking the door's movement.

"I am a sleek shadow of death infiltrating a Nazi base but I can't open a door without smacking myself in the face with it and getting stuck!" :lol:

Is there any way of addressing this?

Suggestions:
  • Make doors always open away from the player regardless of which side they are opened from
  • Put a visual clue (different texture) on the side of the door that will open towards you so that you get to learn which way a door will open
  • Replace some doors with sliding doors where appropriate (e.g. some of the metal industrial doors would be suitable candidates for sliding).
Last edited by Enjay on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects