[Wolfenstein: Blade of Agony] v3.1 released (p204)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WolfenDoom] Blade of Agony (beta v0.9 online @p25)

Post by armymen12002003 »

umm let me see, i just checked for mine its at the start
cem26

Post by cem26 »

Tormentor667 wrote:@cem26, armymen12002003, Mav3rick - Concerning the visual issues: Tried it with the latest version, it works perfectly fine for me. No matter what, the glitches must be a problem with GZDoom or your graphics drivers or a combination of both, these issues are not caused by the mod.

Concerning the weapons mod - As wildweasel already stated, it is mostly based on his Nazis mod, so if you want something like that I'd suggest trying that.

I solved problem already (thx maseter) thx for other thing but i didnt found ''concerning the weapons mod''.
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

i will asume is my video card, try doom games and heretic and hexen and also got weird glitchs
Echelon5

Post by Echelon5 »

Am I supposed to be going through the Operation Overlord level with just a pistol and the shotgun with barely any ammo? The weapon distribution seems slightly off. I usually never get above 100 gold during a mission. Other than that, this is pretty amazing.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Yeah this is a little weird for me too, why am I going around shooting large numbers of enemies with my pistol alone? I thought at this point I should have a machinegun already. If enemy balance is a problem just give them more health or make them move faster or something.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

After returning from the first mission, I went into the washroom and the soldier inside began shooting at me. And since my weapons were taken away upon beginning this map, I was defenseless. What does this all mean? Also, I'm a little bothered with how short and fat everyone looks... especially when Allied soldiers are head-and-shoulders shorter than BJ. Lastly, it's looking like a lot of grammar and spell checks need to be run for all the dialogue.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Ed the Bat wrote:After returning from the first mission, I went into the washroom and the soldier inside began shooting at me. And since my weapons were taken away upon beginning this map, I was defenseless. What does this all mean?
It means that it's a beta. :-D
Anyway Ed we'll just need to carry out that grenade + make friendly ALL soldiers inside the map. Just nitpicks tha Torm will surely fix.
Last edited by Ozymandias81 on Mon May 04, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Not to overstep any boundaries, but I have a lot of free time and would be happy to help pitch in on any of the efforts. I suppose I can also put it out here that anything I've added to wildweasel's Nazis (available on either his or my GitHub repository) should be fair game to add. :)
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Ed the Bat wrote:Not to overstep any boundaries, but I have a lot of free time and would be happy to help pitch in on any of the efforts. I suppose I can also put it out here that anything I've added to wildweasel's Nazis (available on either his or my GitHub repository) should be fair game to add. :)
I think you're welcomed, just ask to Torm what you have in mind. AH, it's 3.39am where I livem quite the same place where Torm lives, so wait 5 hours... :-D

PS: Must go to sleep now or I just blow up!

[EDIT]: You can also check playtesting stuff from Realm667 BoA Forums...
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11

Post by Woolie Wool »

My thoughts after playing the first level in North Africa:

Pros:
* It does a marvelously good job at capturing the war movie/Indiana Jones feel
* The visuals and architecture look good considering the orthogonal Laz Rojas-esque layout
* North Africa is an underused theme compared to the endless western European settings in WWII shooters.

Cons:
* The North Africa map's layout is noodly and linear with no connectivity. It makes for good screenshots but it's not very nice to navigate or fight enemies in.
* I still don't like the idea of dropping Nazis' gameplay in wholesale. You had the opportunity to design a new gameplay system and surprise me, and you squandered it.
* The English is very, very bad. You should have a native speaker go over and rewrite every single line of text.
* The player movement speed is infuriating and undermines the Nazis tracer mechanics WildWeasel made to allow you to dodge and weave around the enemy bullets. If you're going to make B.J. this slow, why not hitscans? Or you could just make him Doom/Wolf3D fast again, that would be even better.
* I still don't like Nazis not dropping weapons. Fighting through an entire level with only a pistol is very dull.
* The music is overpoweringly loud and I had to turn music volume down to 0.1.
* It seems logical for B.J.'s health to recover to 100% when you return to Allied HQ. They're not going to send B.J. back into the field with open bullet wounds.

Nitpicks:
* The Nazis all look like midgets. Scale them up to 1.1 or 1.15.
* The jukebox can't be turned off. Why not?
* The Project Totengraeber blood splat menu backdrop doesn't fit the screen and looks godawful with the cutoffs.
* Why would you use the G43 instead of the Mauser K98k, which is a much more iconic weapon and, unlike the G43, was issued in quantity? The G43 and SMLE should be swapped for the M1 Garand and K98k, respectively. The Garand should have its own ammo type both for history's sake and to limit the player's ability to use it instead of the K98k.
* The weapon and time display should be removed from the status bar in automap mode so as not to cover up the level title.
* The American marines at the "Allied HQ" do not look anything like American soldiers. They're wearing a German Waffen-SS camouflage pattern instead of the American "ODs" (solid olive drab uniforms) and have German helmets and boots. Surely someone on the team could edit these guys to look more like American troops?
* "Stop drinking, marine?" First of all. Blazkowicz is in the US Army in most Wolfenstein games, and the Army was the predominant American fighting force in Europe.
* Radioactive substances do not make that clicking noise. That's the sound of a Geiger counter, which was not something someone like Blazkowicz would be issued. Did Geiger counters of the 1940s even make that clicking sound? I thought that was produced by solid-state electronics, which were not invented until around 1960.
* The "infrared sensor" thing used to describe Doom autoaim is ahistorical nonsense that needs to be cut. Don't replace it with anything, just cut it. Nobody needs an explanation for Doom autoaim. It's just there.
* Shouldn't Darren have a last name (no, "Dirty" is not a name)?

I find it really hard to be enthusiastic about this mod. There's a substantial amount of work put into it and it all looks nice but it doesn't gel into a satisfying gameplay experience, and it's full of "why did they do that?" design choices. The disregard for history is grating considering that this is a much more "grounded" setting than the abstract silliness of Wolfenstein 3D. If you're going to do this grittier, more realistic setting, then you have to follow through.

As Tarnsman would put it, "basic design has failed". You apparently didn't bother to extend the backdrop that you ripped unchanged from Project Totengraeber to fill the screen, and "BOA Options" should be a submenu of the regular options so it doesn't clutter up the main menu. You decided to use the Raven "game files" menu I guess just to be different even though it adds an additional step in saving or loading a game for no reason at all.

E: This is borderless windowed mode. I couldn't get a screenshot in true fullscreen but there the M_DOOM cuts off at the bottom too.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Thanks alot to all of your for the suggestions. As this is still beta and unfinished, any kind of feedback will be of very good use. I will take a closer look at all of it as soon as I am back home tomorrow evening and comment it as well.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Echelon5 wrote:Am I supposed to be going through the Operation Overlord level with just a pistol and the shotgun with barely any ammo? The weapon distribution seems slightly off. I usually never get above 100 gold during a mission. Other than that, this is pretty amazing.
Thanks for the hint. I will increase the treasure cound or reduce the costs in the intermission map.
SamVision wrote:Yeah this is a little weird for me too, why am I going around shooting large numbers of enemies with my pistol alone? I thought at this point I should have a machinegun already. If enemy balance is a problem just give them more health or make them move faster or something.
I considered the pistols to be very use- and powerful. In which places did you have the feeling that a stronger weapon was required?
Ed the Bat wrote:After returning from the first mission, I went into the washroom and the soldier inside began shooting at me. And since my weapons were taken away upon beginning this map, I was defenseless. What does this all mean? Also, I'm a little bothered with how short and fat everyone looks... especially when Allied soldiers are head-and-shoulders shorter than BJ. Lastly, it's looking like a lot of grammar and spell checks need to be run for all the dialogue.
Missing friendly tag, just fixed that. But understand that if you attack them with a grenade, they will shoot you - and that's intended behaviour :) Concerning the short/fatness, do others agree on that? The view-height of the player is higher than regular, but the soldiers have already been scaled by 1.2 so I thought this would already make the job.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Woolie Wool wrote:My thoughts after playing the first level in North Africa
Thanks alot for that detailed review, that will definitely help a lot to improve the map. I have a few questions though:
Woolie Wool wrote:* I still don't like the idea of dropping Nazis' gameplay in wholesale. You had the opportunity to design a new gameplay system and surprise me, and you squandered it.
Well, people know that gameplay doesn't seem to be one of my strengths ;) I kinda liked the mechanics of wildweasel's nazi mod pretty much, and after some finetunings and changes it felt very good to me as it is now. Though, would you mind sharing your thoughts so I can improve that?
Woolie Wool wrote:* The English is very, very bad. You should have a native speaker go over and rewrite every single line of text.
I agree, I am currently improving the texts in general but as you said, a native speaker would help alot.
Woolie Wool wrote:The player movement speed is infuriating and undermines the Nazis tracer mechanics WildWeasel made to allow you to dodge and weave around the enemy bullets. If you're going to make B.J. this slow, why not hitscans? Or you could just make him Doom/Wolf3D fast again, that would be even better.
I understand your concerns. The point is: I don't want people to play this like Doom, running into hordes of monsters and simply relying on the armor, health and weapons. That's why you are slower and enemies stronger if you compare this directly to Doom. You are supposed to be careful when moving around corners and when opening doors. I have had a similar problem when releasing Refinery, as everyone expected this to be Doom, and I thought with WolfenDoom things may get a different approach, but obviously people play it the same way. So, any suggestions for this problem?
Woolie Wool wrote:The music is overpoweringly loud and I had to turn music volume down to 0.1
Does anyone else have this problem?
Woolie Wool wrote:The weapon and time display should be removed from the status bar in automap mode so as not to cover up the level title.
How can you do this in automap?
Woolie Wool wrote:The American marines at the "Allied HQ" do not look anything like American soldiers. They're wearing a German Waffen-SS camouflage pattern instead of the American "ODs" (solid olive drab uniforms) and have German helmets and boots. Surely someone on the team could edit these guys to look more like American troops?
"Surely" :) I hope someone can :)
Woolie Wool wrote:"Stop drinking, marine?" First of all. Blazkowicz is in the US Army in most Wolfenstein games, and the Army was the predominant American fighting force in Europe.
I don't understand what's wrong here? :)
Woolie Wool wrote:The disregard for history is grating considering that this is a much more "grounded" setting than the abstract silliness of Wolfenstein 3D. If you're going to do this grittier, more realistic setting, then you have to follow through.
Well, actually I am going for something between Medal of Honor and Wolfenstein 3D - it's not completely true to the history but it is oriented. Episode 2 and Episode 3 will be very different, occult and well.. I don't want to spoil a lot, but consider this to be an "alternate timeline".

Thanks again for your feedback, it's worth alot!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

here comes the informative naggings;
Woolie Wool wrote:* I still don't like the idea of dropping Nazis' gameplay in wholesale. You had the opportunity to design a new gameplay system and surprise me, and you squandered it.
to be honest, least he used some of resources from few mods for ww_nazis, such as mine. and i'm about to tribute some enemies if i can have a time, too.
Tormentor667 wrote:
Woolie Wool wrote:The weapon and time display should be removed from the status bar in automap mode so as not to cover up the level title.
How can you do this in automap?
by pressing the tab or automap browsing button, of course. and after looking at the screenshot's hud, i think it's reasonable why they blocks the map title. i would like to show the example, but since my computer don't run this masterpiece, so oh well.
Tormentor667 wrote:
Woolie Wool wrote:"Stop drinking, marine?" First of all. Blazkowicz is in the US Army in most Wolfenstein games, and the Army was the predominant American fighting force in Europe.
I don't understand what's wrong here? :)
another first of all, B.J is not a US marine. he is just an allied agent of the Office of Secret Actions who's been act like marines, it's official since RTCW. and second, also he is a Captain.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

@Captain J - Thanks, now I got it. For the Automap thing, I know how to toggle that :) But I have no idea how to remove hud stuff specifically in the automap mode?!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”