[Wolfenstein: Blade of Agony] v3.1 released (p204)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
VladTopol1706

Re: [Blade of Agony] Chapter 2 released | p140

Post by VladTopol1706 »

Why not use the Nobel 808 explosive instead? It was used by the british in WWII
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Or just go with the old dynamite + timed primer/detonator routine. Could probably just snatch the gfx from Blood.
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Quick question about the late game - is the Norway mission played after the Mayan mission, or is that a fork leading to 2 different endings?

Also, one of the mechs on the large stairway area by the launch bay doesn't activate. (not the one by the heavy armour, but the one before)
RockstarRaccoon

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Ultimate Doomer, you need to specify a level and be more specific about the area of the map when you make bug reports like that: I don't know what you mean.

And I'm pretty sure all the secret levels are optional missions set before the 6th level.
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Oops, I meant the UFO map. (where you close the hangar to destroy it)

Just to the right of the launch bay is the large-scale passage with the heavy armour and 2 mechs in. (the mech at the bottom, away from the armour is the lazy one)
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:Quick question about the late game - is the Norway mission played after the Mayan mission, or is that a fork leading to 2 different endings?
Nope, the Mayan mission is an additional operation.
Gez

Post by Gez »

So I've been replaying the first episode to look at the changes. Some general comments.

There's a bug with gibbed guards (at least the SSMP40Guard, perhaps others too): they still somehow count as living monsters (listed by the "monster" console command, or if you use the automap cheat (without using sprite display) their triangles will show up in the "monster" color).

Speaking of things that count as monsters, Douglas and Ryan probably shouldn't.

There are changes in the Eisenmann secret mission that I don't understand. Why no more diving suits when you need to recover the key from the shark tank? Why give rockets to the first two supermutants because they just blanket the entire area in purple poison clouds and it's impossible to see anything. Really annoying and excessively hard.

Speaking of that mission I've never understood how the "flooding with poison gas" bit is supposed to make sense, since this message happens before you even enter the base. Like you could just cross the threshold, then turn back, wait 20 minutes, and go back home, mission accomplished, the dumb nazis destroyed their own secret base. That'd make more sense if it happened after you destroyed the third target, because then it means that the base's content is already lost for the bad guys, and you're deep inside so they figure they have a chance to trap you in and get rid of you. Starting the countdown while you're outside just means they're going to kill all their guys inside while you sit outside and laugh, IMO. (And it's not like any of the living Nazi inside is trying to evacuate. If the base was populated entirely by mutants, okay, I could get it...)
RockstarRaccoon

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

The evacuation thing is a good idea: I was kinda thinking it was strange that they weren't trying to get out, or at least put on gas masks. As for them destroying their own base, gas isn't permanent.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Venting heavy gas from a huge hole in the ground is going to be pretty hard.

I'm in the second campaign now. The resource hogging is quite impressive, starting from the first drone fight in C2M2 I've had to use the "freeze" command to get acceptable framerate. Of course it doubles as a massive cheat... And yes I had turned off pretty much every effect I could turn off from the BoA options menu.

I'm up to C2M5 now and it's probably my favorite so far, perhaps in part because it's split into submaps making it less of a slideshow. Though the "find ten weak points" thing is very annoying, at least until I found out that the compass the bloke was talking about is actually an inventory item. Little bug report for that map, though: after you cut down power to the big fans in the wind tunnels, if you use one of the temporary shutdown switch (two seconds or ten seconds), they'll be restarted at the end of the countdown. It'd make more sense to disable these switches.
Zan

Post by Zan »

Tormentor667 wrote:
The Ultimate DooMer wrote:Quick question about the late game - is the Norway mission played after the Mayan mission, or is that a fork leading to 2 different endings?
Nope, the Mayan mission is an additional operation.
Wait, so how do we play the Norway mission? The Mayan one seems to end the game with a cutscene?

Astonishing game, nonetheless, it's absurdly well made. Can't even word how amazed I was playing it. The gameplay has pretty much been radically improved over the first chapter too.

I've got one bug to report, however, the technicians (guys with red toolboxes) crash the game instantly when hit with a shovel from behind (I guess the insta kill breaks the game since they can't get to do their briefcase drop thingy?). Tried multiple times, always get ctd.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

@Zan: Try a more recent devbuild for GZDoom, that's related to a dynamic light crash where the dynlight actors piggybacked off of actor flags. It's recently been fixed.
Gez

Post by Gez »

I'm a bit disappointed that nobody in HQ seems to care about the outcome of the Astrostein mission. Like you brought home three sci-fi guns and a tale of killing a Hitler-machine on the Moon, but meh, who cares.

Also I think the Astrostein part could benefit from being split into sub-maps? First the ship, then the city, and finally the boss arena. I had terrible performances all along and often had to freeze the game just to get playable FPS.

I liked all the fun ester eggs, though (Indy and girlfriend in Mayan map, all the prisoners in the ship, the carbonite machine in the building with the last weapon).

Bug: I just found out that you can get the bullet (from a Luger in this case, but probably also other weapons) caught in a sloped 3D floor, and then it never dies and just rapid-fire play the ricochet sound forever. After looking at the actor code, I tried the console command "remove lugertracer" and it worked. I'm not sure what happened exactly, it might be a GZDoom bug where the actor's movement is blocked but it doesn't put it in the Death/Crash/XDeath state like it should in case of collision.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Thanks alot for the feedback Gez, keep it coming, I will definitely take care of that.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

wildweasel wrote:You could probably pretty safely replace "C4" with "Comp B" in all instances in which it's referenced by name.
Just did, thanks
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Gez wrote:Why give rockets to the first two supermutants because they just blanket the entire area in purple poison clouds and it's impossible to see anything. Really annoying and excessively hard.
Fixed how the fog visually distracts, should be easier now.
Gez wrote:Speaking of that mission I've never understood how the "flooding with poison gas" bit is supposed to make sense, since this message happens before you even enter the base. Like you could just cross the threshold, then turn back, wait 20 minutes, and go back home, mission accomplished, the dumb nazis destroyed their own secret base. That'd make more sense if it happened after you destroyed the third target, because then it means that the base's content is already lost for the bad guys, and you're deep inside so they figure they have a chance to trap you in and get rid of you. Starting the countdown while you're outside just means they're going to kill all their guys inside while you sit outside and laugh, IMO. (And it's not like any of the living Nazi inside is trying to evacuate. If the base was populated entirely by mutants, okay, I could get it...)
Good point in spotting that, I have to admit that I didn't think of that. Regarding the whole meachanic: At first it was meant to be that the Eisenmann operation directly affects the appearance of Eisenmann mutants in further missions, so actually if you destroy all of the 3 boxes, no mutants will appear anymore through the other 2 episodes. Now that the episodes are split, the whole thing doesn't work anymore as intended - no idea how to turn that around now.
Gez wrote:Little bug report for that map, though: after you cut down power to the big fans in the wind tunnels, if you use one of the temporary shutdown switch (two seconds or ten seconds), they'll be restarted at the end of the countdown. It'd make more sense to disable these switches.
Fixed
Gez wrote:I'm a bit disappointed that nobody in HQ seems to care about the outcome of the Astrostein mission. Like you brought home three sci-fi guns and a tale of killing a Hitler-machine on the Moon, but meh, who cares.
It's actually very hard to do this scriptwise and I don't think it's worth the effort to give everyone new dialogue. I added a new dialogue to Gutenberg though that explains why he, Miller and Rojas are the only ones knowing about the special secret operation.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”