[Wolfenstein: Blade of Agony] v3.1 released (p204)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tormentor667

Re: [Blade of Agony] Chapter 2 release date announced | p128

Post by Tormentor667 »

Enjay wrote:This all sounds amazing. You've really pulled out the stops for this one. It's not merely a second chapter by the sound of it but a full and proper game upgrade of the kind you'd expect with the release of a second game in a series. And it's all been done in a relatively short space of time too. Impressive, most impressive.
It is indeed, the amount of work put into Chapter 2 is at least the same as it was for Chapter 1. The speed s easily explainable: 70% of mapping has already been finished when we released C1 so it wasn't so much work anymore for C2, even though the sprite department had some headaches - Doomjedi had a lot of sleepless nights but it's worth the effort - that's a promise :)
Enjay wrote:Now, I wonder, has that weird-looking water dispenser sprite been replaced with a model yet (and, indeed, other low-res sprite props that move around with the player's viewpoint and thereby clash against the models used for other, similar items) :?:
Well, a lot of sprites have been replaced by better looking models but not the water despenser. There are some sprites we simply don't have proper models or feel that the sprites do a good job.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Tormentor667 wrote: even though the sprite department had some headaches - Doomjedi had a lot of sleepless nights but it's worth the effort - that's a promise :)
Thanks Daniel :)

I've been working on art for BoA almost a year now, one of my biggest art efforts ever.
I've dealt with MAC-res art and depixelling before (for "WolfTC for Doomsday" and "Skulltag"), but not closely to this scale of workload. After I've offered to help BoA (seeing how cool chapter 1 demo is), I didn't even imagine what I'm getting myself into (and still working hard on some Chapter 3 art). It was DoomJuan who first thought the (considered) impossible to be possible, without his faith and support I'd never have the guts to think I can pull it off. Hope the art made for this will help modding in general and Wolf3D modding in particular.
Want to thank Ringman for BJ faces and fixes (my style of BJ face didn't look familliar enough) and his hires Wolf3D enemy pack helped me too as a base for some enemies, sure for mutants (task I've considered before too hard to make on my own, now I've mostly just added rotations for attack frames + recoloring) but not only, his SS and officer base was used too, though just for 2-3 enemies, with shooting rotations, new poses and recoloring.

Not enough art was finished by the time we had to release Chapter 1, and it was obviously very dissapointing for me to see Chapter 1 released without the art I've been working on for months non-stop (in parallel to my own now released Wolf3D mod).
Now for Chapter 2 and 3 it will be different :)
I urge you to replay Chapter 1 with my hires art as well, it's worth the time, trust me.

I've left active Doom modding once, focusing on Wolf3D mods...this WolfenDoom project brought me back into Doom engines as sort of a bridge between Wolf3D world and Doom world (just as "WolfTC for Doomsday" brought me once from Doom to Wolf3D). I needed to get used again to art larger than 64x64 :)
Doing so much art I even got better and faster than I ever was before, scale of daily artwork and challenges had its effect. I enjoy working on it.

I still plan to keep doing Wolf3D mods as well, there is one in development.

I want to thank this wonderful BoA team for the faith, the opportunity, the inspiration, the warm welcome and support all the way.
You're wonderful, guys :wub:
Last edited by doomjedi on Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

doomjedi wrote:I want to thank this wonderful BoA team for the faith, the opportunity, the inspiration, the warm welcome and support all the way.
You're wonderful, guys :wub:
Nothing to thank for, we are proud to have you on board as a vital part of the project :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

What you're describing sounds amazing. The enemy sprite set alone for BOA must easily be as big as that for Doom2 and then some - and no one has managed to complete a full set of hi-res sprites for Doom to my knowledge. Simply amazing. And, yes, I will replay chapter 1. As I said, the only weak point it had was the low-res Wolf-style sprites. If that's been addressed then it's worth playing through again (hell, it's worth playing through again anyway).

This whole project has been to the quality of a commercial game from the 90's with some extra bells and whistles made possible by the newer engine and computing power available these days.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Enjay wrote:[..]it's worth playing through again (hell, it's worth playing through again anyway).
It definitely is with all the additions and improvements we made :)

And thanks a lot for the warm words Nigel, we already discussed your feedback in our Facebook chatgroup and it means a lot to us, really!
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Enjay wrote:What you're describing sounds amazing. The enemy sprite set alone for BOA must easily be as big as that for Doom2 and then some - and no one has managed to complete a full set of hi-res sprites for Doom to my knowledge. Simply amazing.
Yes, taking into account I've finished most of Chapter 3 art as well already :) And not to mention all the scrapped art that didn't get used :)
Doing human hires enemies is easier than (Doom) monsters in my opinion. Easier to imagine and animate. Not to take from huge BoA challenge I had with such scope of work.

Regarding "non-Boss" "non-Ringman" enemies there was certain filter help and not full "Ringman style" depixellization, but that was unavoidable for this scale of work. Still, pants and boots are less noticable part of the enemy. What I didn't compomise on is all the rest - heads, weapons and torso in general. Those are fully drawn from scratch for most parts or heavily manually edited.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

@Enjay
Aaaaww... thank you so much for your kind words, I am excited to be part of this awesome Team - LOL I usually call us "The Fab Four", but now we also have Talon1024 with us... :3:

I wonder... did you still have somewhere your huge collection of RTCW-esque 3d models?
I was speaking with DoomJuan on FB TeamChat of this pack and I wonder how much stuff is in there that could be useful for us... Thanks in any case.
ReX

Post by ReX »

Enjay wrote:BTW, I don't know if you picked up my comment on the other thread about the swastika being back to front on the cog wheel flag/banner.
I realize this is a Nazi-based story, and the direction of the swastika is important, but the direction is consistent with the original Buddhist swastik symbol (which, in turn, derives from the much older right-facing Sanskrit/Hindu swastik). The Nazi version is known as the Hakenkreuz, which (as you correctly pointed out) is right-facing. But I'll shut up now with my nerdy observations.

Back on topic, not only are the pics great (atmospheric/moody, sparkle with realism, etc.), but the news of a release date as well as the hints of ground-breaking aspects are very exciting.
doomjedi wrote:...I've finished most of Chapter 3 art as well already ....
Say what?!!! :woh:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Ozymandias81 wrote:I wonder... did you still have somewhere your huge collection of RTCW-esque 3d models?
I was speaking with DoomJuan on FB TeamChat of this pack and I wonder how much stuff is in there that could be useful for us... Thanks in any case.
A couple of years or so back I had a major hard drive malfunction and I lost some stuff. Most of my files had been backed up but guess what (mostly) turned out to be unrecoverable? Yup, my models folder. :?

I do still have quite a few bits and pieces though. Is there anything in particular you might be looking for?
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Ah well I have read of that epic fail somewhere, that's surely a pity...
We are searching for 1930 lights, such as floor lamp, ceiling lamp and wall lamp like those ones seen on Inglorious Basterds...
I have tons of 3d models of such kind, but all are in 3ds format (not a problem for me, I can convert them) and have something around 70k polys each, which is utterly impossible to reduce polycount without destroying the model itself
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

If you can show me a picture of the kind of thing you are looking for, I might have something. I've just checked my models folder and I do still have a lot of stuff. Unfortunately, it was mostly the stuff that I'd spent time converting from games like Doom3 and Quake4 that I lost. I do have a few different types of lamps and other things. I don't have much sitting ready to go from RTCW but if the model is in the MDC format (which most of them are), I can usually convert it to an MD3 pretty quickly. so, if there is something specific from RTCW, I might be able to get it.

I do have some stuff that might be useful and that's ready to go though.
Spoiler:
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Battle your way through a small town and a medieval chateau occupied by the Wehrmacht infantery - occult and sick things are going on here, so be prepared! #boachapter2
RockstarRaccoon

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Heh! I just playtested that level last night! XD

You know, what I really liked about that map was that you can actually see the chateau looming in the distance of the town, knowing that the objective is waiting inside... You should post a screenshot of that! :P
Doom Juan

Post by Doom Juan »

Enjay wrote:If you can show me a picture of the kind of thing you are looking for, I might have something. I've just checked my models folder and I do still have a lot of stuff. Unfortunately, it was mostly the stuff that I'd spent time converting from games like Doom3 and Quake4 that I lost. I do have a few different types of lamps and other things. I don't have much sitting ready to go from RTCW but if the model is in the MDC format (which most of them are), I can usually convert it to an MD3 pretty quickly. so, if there is something specific from RTCW, I might be able to get it.

I do have some stuff that might be useful and that's ready to go though.
Spoiler:
This stuff is excellent - been looking everywhere for that Quake II Whermacht we added to that previous mod I was working on (can't find it anywhere!). :x
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Doom Juan wrote:been looking everywhere for that Quake II Whermacht we added to that previous mod I was working on (can't find it anywhere!). :x
It wasn't this guy was it?

if so, it's from the DDay Normandy mod for QuakeII.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”