[Wolfenstein: Blade of Agony] v3.1 released (p204)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [Blade of Agony] Castle Wolfenstein screens! | p167

Post by Captain J »

Nice to see it's back on flak trek! Those screenies are absolutely nice as usual. Also that flame glare is perfect than ever!
TDG

Post by TDG »

It is really cool to see the latest progress on Blade of Agony. From the looks of it it seems the project is approaching its end.
I am a bit frustrated that I still don't have the hardware to properly run episode 2 and when episode 3 comes out I will probably not be able to run it on my rig either.

Kind of stupid. A ten year old computer with a four year old video card can't run a modified twenty year old game as it should.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

TDG wrote:Kind of stupid. A ten year old computer with a four year old video card can't run a modified twenty year old game as it should.
What you've got to remember here is that you're not playing 1993 Doom.
Gez

Post by Gez »

TDG wrote:Kind of stupid. A ten year old computer with a four year old video card can't run a modified twenty year old game as it should.
I have emphasized the key word of the sentence.

If you want mods that can run on old hardware, I recommend forgetting about Tormentor's upcoming projects. :twisted:
TDG

Post by TDG »

Well I am planning to have my computer upgraded in the future or buy a new one.
I just did not think that a Doom mod could be such a power hog like one of the modern heavy graphics games.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

GZDoom may have its roots in 25 year old code and be able to access 25 year old data (IWADs) but what GZDoom does is far, far newer than that and many of its features are present in modern games too.

In short, Doom might be a 25 year old game, but GZDoom is not a 25 year old engine.

Moreover, BoA is not a 25 year old data set and it is specifically set up to take advantage of the far more modern features of GZDoom. There is no valid reason to expect BoA, or any feature-heavy GZDoom-based game to run on a ten year old computer with a four year old video card.

In some ways, GZDoom can actually be more of a power hog because it has to work with older data constructs and force them to do things that modern games are intended to do by design. Some aspects of Doom are not very well set up for that at all.
TDG

Post by TDG »

Yeah I understood it had something to do with my computer's processor. Normally a powerful graphics card should assist with the visuals but I understand GZdoom and BOA can't make use of these.
Gez

Post by Gez »

TDG wrote:I just did not think that a Doom mod could be such a power hog like one of the modern heavy graphics games.
Doom is an old game that did things in a way that made sense on old computers. But it turns out that the way things make sense on modern computers is different. For just one example, Doom's actor logic is single-threaded, and full of side effects, which means that it is utterly dependent on executing all instructions in a certain order and if you mess with that, you can completely blow it up to smithereens. So it cannot be multithreaded. So actor processing cannot be as fast and as efficient as it can be on a modern game designed for modern hardware.

This is also true for things like rendering. Although GZDoom makes a valiant effort at using the GPU as much as possible, rendering still relies a lot on the CPU just to prepare the data for the GPU in a way that allows to still get Doom maps functioning like Doom maps.

When you addition these things together, you get to the point that to make a Medal of Honor TC in Doom, well, it's not going to run as well as the actual Medal of Honor game.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Pushing GZDoom to its limits is our goal ;)
ZioMcCall

Post by ZioMcCall »

Oh,this crashed airship surely remember me something.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

First of all, happy new year to all of you out there. Since our last news item it's been almost a year, and even longer since the release of Chapter 2, so I thought it was about time to let you know: We are still working, harder than ever to be clear. The past 12 months have been a hard time for us developers as some of us had to struggle with job and family stuff. But even though progress has slowed down, we kept working. Not only regarding the 3rd chapter of Blade of Agony but also with improving what we have already released. Why? Because we are listening, and we take your feedback serious.

Shadows of the Reich has received mixed reviews. Where some people loved it from the beginning to the end, there have also been others with some gripes that made a good point and therefore we wanted to make sure that these issues get sorted and with the release of the final game including all three chapters, we want you have the best possible game experience that we are capabale of creating.

With the upcoming development blog entries we want you to get a certain behind-the-scenes inside information about the things we have been working on, we have improved and added. It hopefully will make waiting for the final chapter a bit easier. This is the first one of many more to be posted so stay tuned and make sure to get back from time to time, it's worth it!

AI Improvements

One of the problems that we've faced in the past is the AI (artificial intelligence) of the soldiers. People forgot that the main code of every enemy soldier is based on Doom's demons and zombies - no need to be pretty smart, it's simply "walk, aim, shoot/bite, loop", nothing less. We are aware that human beings (even though they are Nazis) should act a bit less predictable and that's where we started to interfer. First of all, we implemented a mechanic, that made the soldiers try to dodge your attacks from time to time (this is what you can see in the screenshot above). Next to that, tossing grenades or having little health makes enemy soldiers finally take cover or run away, makes sense, doesn't it? Last but not least, some enemies don't leave their covered zone until you are getting closer, instead they stay where they are. It's not much but gives a new dynamic to the battles and feels as an appropriate change. Let's see what our coders AFADoomer and Ozymandias come up with in the next months to make the gunfights even more challenging - stay tuned!
Korell

Post by Korell »

I just started playing the first level of episode 2 and I noticed that the visibility indicator (as seen in Mr Icarus's YouTube video of the mod) isn't showing up. Was it removed or is it not working with newer GZDoom versions?
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Unfortunately I made a coding error that wasn't evident in older GZDoom versions... We've fixed it in our development version for Chapter 3, but for now I would recommend playing Chapter 2 with an older GZDoom version in order to experience it as intended. Anything from before 2 December's engine code changes should work as expected (so release version 3.6, I think).
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

So there's no actual version of BoA Chapters 1 & 2 out there, right? Because the one that I can download is AFAIK outdated (there were many bugs I and other ppl reported that were fixed in dev version later on), may I use just a repo snapshot, is it stable enough? Or maybe E3 will be released soon and I should better wait patiently for it than to replay e1&2 right now?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Well, it depends on your patience. We are working hard on the improved version of C1+2 and it is definitely worth being played as soon as it is released with C3. :)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”