[Wolfenstein: Blade of Agony] v3.1 released (p204)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
doomjedi

Re: [Blade of Agony] Road to Wolfenstein Devblog Part 05 | p

Post by doomjedi »

sorry for skipping .... russian ones
I watched all of those, I think I passed all the important stuff to the team in real time.
Tormentor667

Re: [Blade of Agony] Road to Wolfenstein Devblog Part 05 | p

Post by Tormentor667 »

[Road to Wolfenstein] Devblog 06 | SFX Shaders
Shaders being added to the GZDoom engine opened a completely new dimension of special effects to mods. We have already introduced the power of Post Processing Shaders with noise, flares or motion blur, but this is only one part that can be controlled by the player. Shaders can also be used to enhance the atmosphere and realism of a project, and this is what we took advantage of.

SFX Shaders
Imagine a long endless street in the desert, it's daylight and the sun is boiling the ground without mercy. If you look closely, you can not only feel the heat, you can see it on the asphalt, and in the distance on the horizon. You can see the heat in the air. This is one example of an effect we've added to various hot places in the game (e.g. lava rivers, hot engines). Another addition is the distorted player view when you are hit by the shockwave of an explosion. Instead of seeing clearly, you need some time to recover from the shock and see clearly again. These changes also affect the gameplay, but it's a very realistic and interesting addition that makes the environment and the battles more intense.

And with some slight tweaks, these shaders can even be applied to textures, which will give you a totally new experience in the briefing room at the HQ. Finally, we have those scratches and flickering light that every diascope has had in the 1940's.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [Blade of Agony] Road to Wolfenstein Devblog Part 06 | p

Post by Captain J »

Looks surreal and doesn't feel like it's in Doom Engine at all... It looks mental, yet fantastic! I really love the brand new special effects you've made!
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

I have a question concerning displaying BoA in GZDBBF.

When starting up the map, for example C2M1:
Spoiler:
I have a slew of errors and the Things window displays nothing but ? and dynamic lights.
Spoiler:
How do you know which Thing is what?
Does one have to consult a list of DoomED numbers?
Attachments
error.txt
(167.11 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

About the FireExtinguisher.

Could you include an image of a damaged FireExtinguisher after the explosion or some indication on the wall where the FireExtinguisher had been.

The way it is now is a bit hokey. Poof, nothing there.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Kappes Buur wrote:I have a question concerning displaying BoA in GZDBBF.

When starting up the map, for example C2M1:
Spoiler:
I have a slew of errors and the Things window displays nothing but ? and dynamic lights.
Spoiler:
How do you know which Thing is what?
Does one have to consult a list of DoomED numbers?
Well since we work mainly from Github repository, I personally setup my maps options this way:
Spoiler:
So the best you can do is that if you don't want to use the github repository, you must unpack the .pk3 file of BoA c2 release then open a map, using the pk3 folder structure as I usually do (or use then the .pk3 itself)
Respect the file order, and keep in mind that C2 was released under GZDoom 3.1 if I am not wrong, so something has been changed I guess for GZDB too

About fire extinguishers, added some debris to make them more recognizable (will also think to apply a decal later)
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

[Road to Wolfenstein] Devblog 07 | Sneak-Mode improved

Creating a project in the scale of Blade of Agony, you tend to try out things that haven't been done before. Having some kind of Metal Gear Solid introduction to Chapter 2 where Laz breaks out of a prison was a brave undertaking, but also very dangerous. Will players accept a completely new mechanic in a Doom mod or will they decline it? The community's response was mixed, some liked what we achieved and some people simply said that we horribly failed. For us to be honest it wasn't satisfying as well but we knew that with some fine tuning and improvements we can make the mechanic as perfect as possible when it comes to playing it. And so we started all over again...

Sneak Mode Improved

AFADoomer took a very long time to improve the scripts in Operation: Ausbruch (C2M1) and I can remember that it took me almost the same time to play the map over and over again, changing things, editing actor placement and structures, to make them benefit from the script changes. We can firmly say that the escape is a lot more intuitive now and many things that felt like being totally "random" can be controlled now from the player's point of view. Though we didn't want to make it too easy so you can expect a few interesting mechanics like alarm switches that can be activated by guards and draw other guards attention towards you. And as this would be too much effort for only one single map, you can expect some more of that gametype in Chapter 3 - this time the way it is meant to be!
Talon1024

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Epic Store Exclusive

Post by Talon1024 »

WolfenDoom: Blade of Agony Chapter 3 - The Clash of Faith will now be an Epic Store exclusive!

No, your eyes are indeed working properly.

WolfenDoom: Blade of Agony Chapter 3 will now be releasing exclusively on the Epic Games Store. There will be no release of WolfenDoom: Blade of Agony Chapter 3 on Flathub, Snapcraft, Steam, Itch.io, GOG, ModDB, or even the official website, at least until next year.

Tim Sweeney saw what we were doing, and saw how our game could become a major attraction to the Epic Games Store, and offered up a grand total of $2 million to us, in order to convince us to release exclusively on the Epic Games Store, as well as help us migrate from GZDoom to Unreal Engine 4.

This wasn't an easy decision for us to make, but after a lot of careful consideration, we decided we could go through with it. For those disgruntled fans that donated to us in the past, but are displeased with our move to the Epic Store, you can ask us for a refund by clicking here.

Thank you.
Enjay

Re: [Blade of Agony] Road to Wolfenstein Devblog Part 07 | p

Post by Enjay »

Should'a held out fo $4 mil. You know they's have paid it. ;)
YukesVonFaust

Re: Epic Store Exclusive

Post by YukesVonFaust »

Talon1024 wrote:WolfenDoom: Blade of Agony Chapter 3 - The Clash of Faith will now be an Epic Store exclusive!

No, your eyes are indeed working properly.

WolfenDoom: Blade of Agony Chapter 3 will now be releasing exclusively on the Epic Games Store. There will be no release of WolfenDoom: Blade of Agony Chapter 3 on Flathub, Snapcraft, Steam, Itch.io, GOG, ModDB, or even the official website, at least until next year.

Tim Sweeney saw what we were doing, and saw how our game could become a major attraction to the Epic Games Store, and offered up a grand total of $2 million to us, in order to convince us to release exclusively on the Epic Games Store, as well as help us migrate from GZDoom to Unreal Engine 4.

This wasn't an easy decision for us to make, but after a lot of careful consideration, we decided we could go through with it. For those disgruntled fans that donated to us in the past, but are displeased with our move to the Epic Store, you can ask us for a refund by clicking here.

Thank you.
Will it ever get released on Bethesda Launcher too because we could expect some Nazis doing the fortnite default dance thingy.

oh wait, i've been fooled.
Beezle

Post by Beezle »

I've been following the progress of BoA for months now and I'm really hyped for Chapter 3, amazed at some of the progress updates. Unfortunately my PC doesn't have the best hardware, so what settings would you recommend adjusting to properly enjoy Chapter 2 for the time being?
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Hi Beezle, well you should consider several factors:

1) If you have only integrated GPU and Intel Atom CPUs you are surely far from have a proper pc to run BoA
2) During Chapter 2 release I had an Athlon X2 250 3.2ghz DualCore with 4Gb ram and a GeForce GT610 1024mb plus Win7 32bit, so this would be the very minimum setup to run BoA
3) Now that I have a 6core cpu but still with 4gb ram and 1gb video (under Win7 64bit), Chapter 3 runs well on my end and Chapter 2 has improved greatly too (thanks also to fixes committed monthly)
4) Imho the average config ideal to run BoA should be a 4core CPU with higher speed (3+ ghz), a GPU of 2gb video and 8gb of ram at least
5) Instead if you plan to run everything maxed out well a i7 with 4gb video and 16gb of ram should be enough, but using a nVidia GPU would be better I think

In the end you must also consider to follow this post in order to have BoA configured for the best playability experience and download then most recent stable build of GZDoom too (or try with latest daily builds in case). Actually idk how Chapter 2 release behave with newer builds, so just let us know if something weird happens. 8-)
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

[Road to Wolfenstein] Devblog 08 | Replay Value

The process of bugfixing and improving our previous chapters of Blade of Agony is something that we have already written about. We want a polished final product with the release of Chapter 3. This also means that we are considering ways to enhance the replay value of our project. Youtube and Twitch have revived the competitive spirit of gaming, and encouraged players to out-perform each other, no matter whether it is by speedrunning, or just maxing out their kills, loot, and secrets. So how can we implement features that support these kind of people?

Mission Summary

At the beginning of the development, I decided to get rid of the intermission sequence because it ruined the atmosphere which is so important to this project. Regarding the aspects from the introduction paragraph though, I was considering renewing the concept of showing your stats at the end of the mission, but in a way that is more integrated with the game just as most of the other aspects are - that's our philosophy. The idea of a mission summary in the Allied Headquarters was born, and AFADoomer brought these ideas into a working implementation.

After completing each mission, you will be able to check this blackboard in order to find out: Did I kill everyone? How much loot did I collect? How many secrets did I find, and how long have I been playing this game? It's competition time! Share your results with a screenshot, or just try to do better on your second or third run. Maybe you will even find a hidden bonus if you are good enough...
jablon1000

Post by jablon1000 »

@Devs

Any chance for enemies-only and weapons-only packs after realsing final version?
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

jablon1000 wrote:@Devs

Any chance for enemies-only and weapons-only packs after realsing final version?
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=29815

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”