[Wolfenstein: Blade of Agony] v3.1 released (p204)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Bofubutt

Re: [Blade of Agony] Chapter 2 released | p140

Post by Bofubutt »

McConville wrote:
TDG wrote:I am wondering if someone here could still help me out getting BOA to run properly without slowdowns.
I noticed that the slowdowns tend to happen when there are a lot of light effects going on.
It even slows down on a GTX 1080 and 32 DDR4. So don't expect too much to be changed.
See, that's weird. I have a GTX 1070 and similar RAM. And yet, I have yet to encounter any lag or even have a framerate dip below 40. I don't run it at my monitor's full resolution, though (I run it in windowed mode at 1280x960 or thereabouts).
RockstarRaccoon

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Yeah, I only run it at 720p without antialiasing or anything when I'm playing.
TDG

Post by TDG »

Bofubutt wrote:
McConville wrote:It even slows down on a GTX 1080 and 32 DDR4. So don't expect too much to be changed.
See, that's weird. I have a GTX 1070 and similar RAM. And yet, I have yet to encounter any lag or even have a framerate dip below 40. I don't run it at my monitor's full resolution, though (I run it in windowed mode at 1280x960 or thereabouts).
The game seems to run the best for me in indoor areas and when the special effects are set on minimal. Perhaps I should also try to run it at lower resolutions to see if it improves the speed.
I sadly had to cheat during a level in order to be able to finish it. The moment the tanks in appeared the game slowed down so incredible that one can not conventionally fight them any more as all the action slows down to frame to frame.

Edit: no even reducing the resolution/screen size does not help, the game keeps stuttering in areas with a lot of details and effects like the Astrostein level.

RockstarRaccoon wrote:I keep having the idea for a game just titled "Wolfendoom", in which, after WW2 has ended, a half-shellshocked BJB is called back into Europe to investigate several thousand people who have not been accounted for. In his investigation, he comes across a secret Thule Society project to use ritual human sacrifices to open a literal portal to hell, ala Doom. It'd be more horror mystery than action.
I had a somewhat similar idea, the Nazis summoning the demons from Doom to reinforce their own forces or with the Nazi Warmachine almost broken and Germany about to be overrun Nazi occultists using arcane knowledge to open a portal to hell as a final vengeance against the Allies.

I was also thinking about the Nazis going to the UEC future/Mars bases through their demon allies and acquiring advanced weapons and technology from the time the demons were overrunning the Phobos and Deimos facilities.
But with the new Astrostein level out that is now an unnecessary idea.

Regarding Wolfenstein, inspired by BOA I was thinking on how I would remake AreyeP's Wolfendoom mod using GZDoom to to be an interquel between Wolfenstein/W:BOA and Doom.
Level design would be more like BOA/Half Life, the player assuming the role of Blazkowicz' grand son operates from a warehouse and has to infiltrate UEC research facilities and shut down the portals the scientists and technicians are operating there while facing hostile military or probably UEC hired mercenaries (Doom guy sprites) and of course demons but with a few changes to show that this takes place before Doom 1. (instead of insane or zombie soldiers, the human damned, the revenant does not have shoulder mounted missile launchers yet, attacking with magical energy, and so on)
Locations would be the UAC complexes which would feature office spaces, warehouses, laboratories, places the mercenaries have converted into cell blocks to hold the captured demons and do experiments on them, and of course the Doomed dimension (it would not be known yet that this is Hell)
There would be a little story telling going on as well with Blazkowicz working together with the scientist who warned him about the portals and perhaps other characters.
Perhaps as a continuity nod the appearance of a group of Nazis who seek to return to Earth?

Laz Rojas Operation Rheingold might also be an interesting idea to take up again, Wolfenstein meets European/Norse mythology with Blazkowicz having to prevent the SS Paranormal Division from acquiring the Ring der Nibelungen that can make the bearer invincible.

What I also often keep thinking about is what kind of missions of adventures B.J. Blazkowicz would have after World War 2. There would probably be some remaining Nazis but how often can the Nazis/Wehrmacht be brought back? It does eventually get tiresome.
Should B.J. Blazkowicz instead face the Soviet armed forces and those of other totalitarian countries and dictators? Mercenaries in Central and South America? Terrorists?
I don't think Blazkowicz would completely retire after World War 2 despite what the Wolfenstein epilogue may say.
What would be interesting?
RockstarRaccoon

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

TDG wrote:the player assuming the role of Blazkowicz' grand son operates from a warehouse and has to infiltrate UEC research facilities and shut down the portals the scientists and technicians are operating there while facing hostile military or probably UEC hired mercenaries
...You mean Commander Keen? BJ's grandson who goes to mars to stop an invasion around the year 2000?
TDG

Post by TDG »

RockstarRaccoon wrote:
TDG wrote:the player assuming the role of Blazkowicz' grand son operates from a warehouse and has to infiltrate UEC research facilities and shut down the portals the scientists and technicians are operating there while facing hostile military or probably UEC hired mercenaries
...You mean Commander Keen? BJ's grandson who goes to mars to stop an invasion around the year 2000?
Check the storyline for AReyeP's Wolfendoom, I think the main character is B.J. Blazkowicz's grandson but he is a different character than Commander Keen (I know about the Keen-Blazkowicz connection).
He is a Security Consultant (I think) who works for the Union Aerospace Corporation way before the UAC has set up bases on Mars and its moons.
The portals in AReyeP's Wolfendoom are the predecessors to the teleportation technology in Doom.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

RockstarRaccoon wrote:...You mean Commander Keen? BJ's grandson who goes to mars to stop an invasion around the year 2000?
I like that ancestor more...
Doom Juan

Post by Doom Juan »

GENTEK

[Blade of Agony] Chapter 2 released | p140

Post by GENTEK »

Awsome! Just Awsome man! :D
TDG

Post by TDG »

Tormentor667 wrote:
RockstarRaccoon wrote:...You mean Commander Keen? BJ's grandson who goes to mars to stop an invasion around the year 2000?
I like that ancestor more...
You mean descendant right? And do you mean Commander Keen or the character of AReyeP's Wolfendoom that I was talking about?

A few small corrections; it is not B.J.Blazkowicz's grandson but son who is the main character in Wolfendoom, and he is a military consultant and not a security consultant. (that probably doesn't matter much)
BTW, was it not implied somewhere in one of the Doom RPGs or Wolfenstein RPG that the Doom marine is a descendant of B.J.Blazkowicz?

Eh, well still thinking of ideas to recommend to BOA Chapter 3 or BOA in general but lately all my Wolfenstein-Doom related suggestions involve porting resources from some of the Wolfenstein 3D mods such as the cyborg soldiers from mods such as Coming of the Storm/Project Eisenritter (improved versions of Schabb's mutants)
I still feel that BOA after Chapter 2 that focused a lot on the Nazi's superweapon projects involving robots and mech suits that Chapter 3 should perhaps be more focused on the supernatural projects the Nazis were conducting.
The mutants, robots, and mechs can still make appearances like they did before, but now we would perhaps see more supernatural enemies the Nazi occultists, mystics, and scientists have been summoning or creating.
Has Dr Quarkblitz made an appearance yet?
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

@TDG
You should consider to take a look into Realm667 BoA Team forums then, you'll notice something...
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Doom Juan wrote:Image
Open each one of those door... And get ready for another war in you.
TDG

Post by TDG »

After checking the BOA forums on the plans for Chapter 3 I did not realize how much I had been thinking about some of the same ideas the development team already had.
No more need to mention those again.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

So, I just played the Astrostein mission and noticed throughout the second map (C2M0_B) that the level never ran smoothly, despite reporting a constant 60 fps.
'stat think' reveals a think time of over 7ms.

Is there any chance to split this map? If it is causing performance issues on my fast system I do not want to know how it performs on something less.

In general, would it help to allow setting a 'never think' flag for things on the map? That'd only make sense for completely unmoving scenery items (i.e. not even gravity, current or wind would affect them), but if those can be taken out of the think loop it can make a major difference here.
Additioally, half of the objects are some constantly spawned effects, but only a very small number of those is affected by menu settings.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

+NEVERTHINK soungs great in general if it could help with large numbers of scenery-only objects in any mod. Would such things still animate (spites/frames) and be susceptible to collision though?

8-)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Animation, no. Collision, yes.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”