[Wolfenstein: Blade of Agony] v3.1 released (p204)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TDG

Re: [Blade of Agony] New shots of Chapter 3 | p156

Post by TDG »

So what would be a solution for my situation?
I am eventually planning to get a new computer but would a newer machine be capable of running this game well?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Definitely.
RockstarRaccoon

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

wildweasel wrote:the engine is not built for multi-core rendering
Are you sure?
I'm pretty sure that both the sound and rendering are both on their own threads now... Granted, with 4 cores, I dunno how much of a performance boost that is, seeing as the most you can get is 4 simultaneous threads...
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

No, it isn't. Sound was always on a different thread, and only software rendering is multithreaded. The OpenGL renderer still has no multithreading.
RockstarRaccoon

Bleh! Here I thought he was saying they'd split the non-hardware rendering stuff onto another thread...
Kroc
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Kroc »

What version of GZDoom / QZDoom do I need if I want to build BoA from the source?
RockstarRaccoon

Kroc wrote:What version of GZDoom / QZDoom do I need if I want to build BoA from the source?
If you're using the Github build? The latest indev.
If you're using the normal build, the latest stable should work fine.

Have you tried running it with the current version of GZDoom?
Tormentor667

Re: [Blade of Agony] Drivable Tanks! | p160

Post by Tormentor667 »

Blast Nazis with your Sherman Tank!

ZScript is most propably the best addition to GZDoom since the hardware renderer or DECORATE itself. AFADoomer made the impossible possible, he is still working hard to implement the feature to perfection but we are proud to announce drivable Sherman Tanks in Chapter 3 of Blade of Agony. You have any ideas or wishes when it comes to missions with a tank? Let us know about your thoughts, we are happy and thankful for any kind of inspiration from you :)
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

ZScript is also prone to breaking if you aren't careful. I see you got a save error there.

I guess it'll go away after I export F3DFloor.
RockstarRaccoon

Lookin' slick! Only concern I have is that if you add it to any existing map (I see you're using Normandy there), you're gonna have to change the mix and balance of the whole thing, because those maps were pretty optimal for a game where you couldn't just bulldoze it with a tank...
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

I imagine that's just for testing and the actual tank gameplay will be on levels dedicated to it. Otherwise yeah, balance would be fucked.

8-)
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Caligari87 wrote:I imagine that's just for testing and the actual tank gameplay will be on levels dedicated to it
That
HAL9000

Post by HAL9000 »

I'm curious how you did the tank controls/handling/logic in Zscript, and the md3 model.
WASD for Tank Body, mouse for the Tank Turret? and I guess tank is made from 2(or more)md3 models controlled together by zscript?
I was planing to do something similar with AT-ST for my project....but the problem was controlling 2 different models at the same time.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:ZScript is also prone to breaking if you aren't careful. I see you got a save error there.

I guess it'll go away after I export F3DFloor.
I think it's because the FLineTraceData struct contains the F3DFloor entry (here), despite it not being exported... Interestingly enough, the TraceResults struct has the F3DFloor piece commented out.
HAL9000 wrote:I'm curious how you did the tank controls/handling/logic in Zscript, and the md3 model.
WASD for Tank Body, mouse for the Tank Turret? and I guess tank is made from 2(or more)md3 models controlled together by zscript?
I was planing to do something similar with AT-ST for my project....but the problem was controlling 2 different models at the same time.
You're essentially correct...

The tank is actually a separate player class; I overrode a bunch of the base PlayerPawn functions to tweak the handling and performance. The tank is split into three actors - the base, the turret, and the gun, with the relative position of each part controlled via SetOrigin and angle/pitch/roll calculated relative to the other pieces.

The tank re-uses the standard player control bindings.

Forward/back move the tank forward and back. By default, movement automatically will align with the angle of the player camera, with handling for turning the body to align with the direction of movement. The 'run' key allows you to override this "auto-steering" and manually control the base of the tank separately from the turret if you want (essentially skipping the "align the tank base to the camera's angle" step and letting you move in one direction while aiming the turret in another...

Left/right strafe turn the tank body left and right, and can be used to steer while moving forward/back.

Left/right turn (or mouselook left/right) turn the viewpoint camera around the tank. This affects the direction of the turret, but the turret is actually independent - it moves at a set, slower speed, and eventually "catches up" to where the camera is aimed, so you can look all around at normal mouselook speed, and the turret will move at a realistic pace behind you.

Look up/look down (or mouselook up/down) control the pitch of the cannon; primary fire sets off the cannon, and secondary fire triggers the fixed machine gun on the front of the tank.

Currently, holding down 'use' lets you exit the tank, and you can 'use' the tank again to get back inside.

To give you an idea of how it handles - in Torm's gameplay clip, based on how the tank is moving, he was only using the mouselook and forward/back controls to move. All of the the turning of the tank base was handled automatically.
Nash

Post by Nash »

AFADoomer - can you tell us more about the tank physics and aligning the tank to sloped terrain? Are you sampling from 4 points of the tank and calculating the pitch and roll from there? Is that what the line traces are doing?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”